Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
@Mac n Gs

Have to agree with @Steve Kournianos on Harley, TBH. Although, he's good with gap control and positioning, he can get sloppy with decision making. I don't think he's as annoying as Shattenkirk, but it is a bit concerning.

Lower end of the 1st would be a good spot for him, IMO, if he keeps up the PPG pace....

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why Zegras over Turcotte? I love both and have found peoples reasoning for one over the other to be fascinating. I think they're both studs.
Not over Turcotte. Though I can see why my post would appear that way. I have Turcotte higher, though it is not as far as it was a few months ago. And both have moved ahead of Newhook, who I still think makes for a fabulous pick in the middle of the 1st.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
To me, Zegras and Turcotte are two different players....

I think one will be a long time NHLer in a safe, two-way, speed mold in Turcotte.

I think Zegras has bigger boom/bust potential in offensive ability, but could be a solid, yet not consistent, middle-6 in the Giroux style.

I have them both as top 15 talents!!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
All the centers are going to go early outside of Kakko who might as well be one too

Hughes Kakko Dach Cozens Turcotte Zegras Newhook Lavoie will all be gone in the top 8 or 9 picks. You watch. Byram is going to be the only D man to get into the top 10 imo.

We need to get into the top 6 or 7 somehow.

Reactions: Ori and bl02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kov- First a huge disclaimer, I’ve never seen this kid play a full game, but from the vids out there — and they are getting a bit longer nowadays and you can see more — I am far from sold on Dach as a top 10 pick.

His stride is far from pretty. He is a bit clumsy.

I am not writing him off, but he must more or less be a monster in physical battles and around the net to become a star in the NHL. So few guys in this mold manage to do what the Tkachuks have in the NHL. The Tkachuks are so smart, they have a tremendous feel for where to go on the ice.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Turcotte is definitely my 3rd overall pick as of now. Haven’t seen him nor really anyone else enough but he gets my nod there by a pretty wide margin from the little I’ve seen. REALLY surprised by some having him as low as they do. Some ranking had him 15th overall — WTF?

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Turcotte is definitely my 3rd overall pick as of now. Haven’t seen him nor really anyone else enough but he gets my nod there by a pretty wide margin from the little I’ve seen. REALLY surprised by some having him as low as they do. Some ranking had him 15th overall — WTF?

He started slipping because of his injury, but he’s re-established himself as one of the best players in this class. Wouldn’t be surprised if he went 3rd with the balls-out type of game he has combined with his skillset.

Reactions: Ola

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
@Mac n Gs

Have to agree with @Steve Kournianos on Harley, TBH. Although, he's good with gap control and positioning, he can get sloppy with decision making. I don't think he's as annoying as Shattenkirk, but it is a bit concerning.

Lower end of the 1st would be a good spot for him, IMO, if he keeps up the PPG pace....
Harley has serious defensive issues and idk if he’s dynamic enough offensively to be an above average defenseman, he’s lazy in his own zone which is always a huge red flag
Kov- First a huge disclaimer, I’ve never seen this kid play a full game, but from the vids out there — and they are getting a bit longer nowadays and you can see more — I am far from sold on Dach as a top 10 pick.

His stride is far from pretty. He is a bit clumsy.

I am not writing him off, but he must more or less be a monster in physical battles and around the net to become a star in the NHL. So few guys in this mold manage to do what the Tkachuks have in the NHL. The Tkachuks are so smart, they have a tremendous feel for where to go on the ice.
well you’d need to watch a game first, I have Dach at 3 and have had him there for a long time, even considering moving him up to 2 (though I haven’t)
Dach has elite potential, his playmaking is unreal and he has a quick shot that’s pretty accurate. He struggles a bit with effort but it’s improving lately. He’s a smart player who can make nifty little plays that I could see translating well. His defense and skating have also come a long way

Reactions: QJL and Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Dallas signed free agent Tye Felhaber today. I think some of us on this side of the boards wanted NYR to sign him....

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
@Mac n Gs

Right, now look at those first descriptors and realize you're talking about the youngest dman in this draft that's playing at a ppg pace on a good but not great team. Plus, he's already one of their main leaders on defense. Yes, he has engagement issues here and there, but it'd be silly to think that can't be outcoached in a young dman. He's not the classic OHL offensive dman who doesn't give a crap like Ryan Murphy. The kid has a really solid overall package that just needs some refining and polishing.

A kid like K'Andre had similar issues last year too.

Reactions: YoSoyLalo

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Right, now look at those first descriptors and realize you're talking about the youngest dman in this draft that's playing at a ppg pace on a good but not great team. Plus, he's already one of their main leaders on defense. Yes, he has engagement issues here and there, but it'd be silly to think that can't be outcoached in a young dman. He's not the classic OHL offensive dman who doesn't give a crap like Ryan Murphy. The kid has a really solid overall package that just needs some refining and polishing.

A kid like K'Andre had similar issues last year too.

I see what you're saying. That's why I put K'Andre in the later 1st last year, too. ;)

I don't think he's bad, but my main gripe was that he's your No. 2 defender behind Byram, which considering what York has been doing made me argue. I could even argue that Soderstrom could be above Harley in terms of the better defender, too.

We'll see.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I see what you're saying. That's why I put K'Andre in the later 1st last year, too. ;)

I don't think he's bad, but my main gripe was that he's your No. 2 defender behind Byram, which considering what York has been doing made me argue. I could even argue that Soderstrom could be above Harley in terms of the better defender, too.

We'll see.
Totally fair, and it's not a knock on York because I think he's a helluva player. I just like Harley better. I haven't seen Soderstrom, so I can't really comment on any of the euros (outside of a few KHL games because of Kravtsov); same issue for Broberg.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
After the Rangers sell off McQuaid, Hayes, and Zuccarello, the Rangers are going to tumble in the standings a bit. Four points separate 13th overall from 3rd overall right now. Crazy. The Rangers have a top 5 toughest schedule for the rest of the season. Even with the rentals still playing, how many more games is this team winning before the deadline? After?

I think LA and Ottawa have top 3 spots locked down. Jersey (as I predicted back in November) is probably going to lock in a top 5 pick. Hall being injured really exposed how terrible they are. That leaves us, Detroit, Chicago, Arizona, Anaheim, and Edmonton jockeying it out for the remaining two top 5 picks. I think that Colorado, St. Louis, and Vancouver make pushes for the playoffs but fall short. Likewise with Philly and Florida in the East. They'll finish better than where they are now.

The Rangers can very easily pick in the top 5, or pick at #10 or 11 depending on how they play down the stretch.

The players available at 5 and those available at 11 are going to be very different.

It's going to be Cozens, Podzolkin, Byram or Boldy versus Turcotte, Zegras, Suzuki, or York.

There's a big difference between those two tiers, IMO.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Samuel Fagemo has two goals in his past two games bringing his season total to 9+7 in 30 SHL games and now has the second highest NHLe behind Kakko among the players eligible for the 2019 draft. His NHLe for his SHL games (0.34) is actually higher than Kakko's (0.33), but his 8+4 in 10 SuperElit games actually pulls his season total down to 0.31.

Comparing him to the top guys from his 2018 draft class that are also outside the NHL he beats out Hållander (also 0.34 with 16P in 30GP) for 4th on the tiebreaker having scored more goals, behind Kupari (0.38), Bokk (0.35) and Kravtsov (0.35). His NHLe is ahead of guys like Veleno, Thomas, Zadina, Hayton etc.

I.E his "D+1" season is one you'd be very happy with from a pick in the 15-31 range, let alone the lower rounds.

E: Seeing the "PNHLe" mentioned in the prospects thread I want to clarify that I'm referring to Emmanuel Perry's NHLe, which has the most transparent methodology and is seemingly the most comprehensive of the NHLe's I've seen.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This is a year where there is a distinct top 5 top 6. There is a drop off after that.

So it would behoove Quinn and co, to finish in that range.

I know that takes away from one's principals, and while I enjoy the occasional 60 minute effort, you really really need to come to terms with the talent drop off for a couple on inconsequential wins.

We've got a pro tank crowd for sure, but given how the draft is shaping up, there is top end talent, but not past pick 5 imo.

You'll get very good prospects after that, but not top unit guys.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This kid can change his name to Henrik already. I love that I brought up these numbers a few weeks ago to point out how heavy his workload is and how he has still been putting up great numbers.

Games with 40+ shots faced: 7
Games with 30+ shots faced: 20
Shutouts: 5
Wins: 21
Average shots faced: 30.2
Save percentage: .933

Justin17

Nov 9, 2018
Anyone know much about Bobby Brink? He is a little undersized but is putting up great numbers for the Sioux City Musketeers in the USHL. Also his linemates production has decreased a lot after he got injured. Is there a reason why he’s not ranked high on many lists?

Reactions: Rangers743

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Anyone know much about Bobby Brink? He is a little undersized but is putting up great numbers for the Sioux City Musketeers in the USHL. Also his linemates production has decreased a lot after he got injured. Is there a reason why he’s not ranked high on many lists?
I'm a fan from what I've seen. Would love to somehow get him with one of our later firsts

Reactions: Justin17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad