Salary Cap: Dr StrangeDubas: "Defense sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid defense, Sully."

Will MAF go into the HHOF

• Total voters

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It ''appears'' to be a very competitive camp for the bottom six. Excited to see EK and how Yager and Blomqvist develop.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Let's try to win camp....

image-asset.gif

There's still 6 pre-season and 82 regular season games to go...

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Nah, I'm cool with riding out the clock with the trio (although really iffy about watching 39 year old Letang). I just don't think FSG is going to do the smart play on the rebuild. But we'll see. I was wrong about Dubas before, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. Ownership...well....

I get the concern, but I have a hard time imagining them screwing it up when sid and Geno retire because we will be such a bad team that we couldn’t win games even if they tried their hardest. And we won’t have any young players that will shift the needle. Just gotta hope some 30 year old number 1 centre doesn’t come on the market just in time to keep us mid…

Reactions: HandshakeLine

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don’t have access to this, but Geno in Tier 4 seems a little low…still five players in the top 125 is pretty good… anyone care to share the blurbs on our players?

Seems about right for Malkin tbh. Would take a lot of 2 way guys over him at this point.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
We might like to see Geno as his best version, but it’s not unrealistic to see him as a frequently injured, rarely at 100% player. It’s a genuine thing to detract him for, even if his highs are still top 5-10 in the league.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Like who?
A guy like Slavin for instance.

I'd maybe take a selke like defensive player like Elias Lindholm at centre for instance, because his offense isn't too far off from 1C production.

And it's not disrespectful to Geno, he's aging great. But he will get worse this season because of age, and he will be a pylon defensively.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think that list is underrating Malkin at this point :dunno:

I'm not trying to shit on Malkin here or anything like that, but I honestly feel like Malkin today is nowhere even close to how good he was a decade ago. Calling him around the 100th best player in the league today seems like a pretty fair description of him.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Don't know why people are hung up on perfectly timing the rebuild. We won't win another Cup for like, 25 years.
Yeah, well, I, and quite a few others, were saying exactly that after losing to the Flyers in the playoffs in 2012. What do we know? Well, other than the fact the Flyers won't win another Cup for at least another 25 years which is as immutable as sunrise and sunset...

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I don't think that list is underrating Malkin at this point :dunno:

I'm not trying to shit on Malkin here or anything like that, but I honestly feel like Malkin today is nowhere even close to how good he was a decade ago. Calling him around the 100th best player in the league today seems like a pretty fair description of him.
Panarin being the third on the 3rd. tier list is absurd, as is John Marino making it as well.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Panarin has a 100+ point pace over the last 4 years.

Malkin is still a great player but 2023 Malkin isn't 2013 Malkin. He's probably like the 20th ranked center in the league at this point.
Geno was the 24th most productive player in the league last season and 11th most productive center and that included players like Drai and Stamkos who played a lot of wing …sure, he’s not what he was and neither is Sid and they fall down the list because of it, but he’s being grouped with players he’s still well above in terms of positive impact on the game…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Geno was the 24th most productive player in the league last season and 11th most productive center and that included players like Drai and Stamkos who played a lot of wing …sure, he’s not what he was and neither is Sid and they fall down the list because of it, but he’s being grouped with players he’s still well above in terms of positive impact on the game…

There's more to hockey than points, though. Barkov only had 78 points but I'd clearly take Barkov over Malkin at this point.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They get just a few minutes as part of media day and try to get in a few non-traditional topics.
Maybe so but not asking him about EK is kind of ridiculous. It should have been the first question asked.

Geno has kind of been disrespected for a while now, we shouldn't be surprised. Disappointing but not surprising.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There's more to hockey than points, though. Barkov only had 78 points but I'd clearly take Barkov over Malkin at this point.
Give or take, matter of degree…I mean Barkov only had 5 less points and he’s a perennial Selke candidate, so of course…but if you’re saying, well this other guy is better defensively but he has 20 or 30 fewer points, then who cares…last I checked the winner of hockey games was the team that scored the most goals…

here’s the forwards being grouped w Geno: DeBrincat, Eriksson Ek, Lindholm, Marchessault, Nichushkin, Ovechkin, Reinhart, Thomas, Tuch…

sorry but that’s insulting to Malkin, and those are good players…

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
People have this narrative that Geno has fallen off more than Sid but the facts don't support it. If you take into account 1) Sid's empty net points, 2) the fact that Sid gets 2 more min of ice time per game, and 3) quality of linemates, there really is not any gap in production between the two. My point is both Geno and Sid are still elite.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad