Salary Cap: Dr StrangeDubas: "Defense sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid defense, Sully."

Will MAF go into the HHOF

• Total voters

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
1695244461879.png

It's beautiful

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Slavin, one of the best #1 Dmen in the league, has impacted the game more than Malkin for a few years now.

Toffoli isn't a selke defender, Toffoli putting up the career numbers be did is actually a positive for Lindholm. Shows he makes his mates better with his 2 way game.
Based on what?

You talk about these players having great two-way games when one can barely outproduce an enfeebled Dumo and the other can't outproduce a journeyman linemate who's about to be on his 5th team in 5 years. Clearly "one way" of their "two way games" ain't all that impressive.

But we hear this every year. Some middling semi-star would be more valuable than Malkin. Last year it was Trocheck. Then he shit the bed in the playoffs.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Haha... I mean... I don't doubt his knees hurt. My knees were killing me at 37 and I had only gone through one major knee injury... not multiple.
3 ACLs here and 7 total surgeries since 2000 on my right knee alone. I elected not to have an ACL put back in on the last one in 2019 and have been fortunate since.

Still run workout and participate in some sports but it's definitely starting to finally catch up a little. Probably a good candidate for a robo leg some day

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
3 ACLs here and 7 total surgeries since 2000 on my right knee alone. I elected not to have an ACL put back in on the last one in 2019 and have been fortunate since.

Still run workout and participate in some sports but it's definitely starting to finally catch up a little. Probably a good candidate for a robo leg some day
Damn dude, you must have a insane pain tolerance. I hope you can put off knee replacement indefinitely, it is a mother. Way more involved than a new hip.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Based on what?

You talk about these players having great two-way games when one can barely outproduce an enfeebled Dumo and the other can't outproduce a journeyman linemate who's about to be on his 5th team in 5 years. Clearly "one way" of their "two way games" ain't all that impressive.

But we hear this every year. Some middling semi-star would be more valuable than Malkin. Last year it was Trocheck. Then he shit the bed in the playoffs.
lol, come on Trocheck is no Slavin. Be serious. Slavin is clearly more valuable than Malkin, not sure what the argument could even be. An elite #1D is more valuable than Malkin at this point.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't even like comparing defensemen to forwards. Doesn't make a lot of sense to do.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Damn dude, you must have a insane pain tolerance. I hope you can put off knee replacement indefinitely, it is a mother. Way more involved than a new hip.
I don't think it is a much pain tolerance, none of the injuries were really intolerable. You see many injuries to knees/ACLs where players finish games.

I think the key is to keep moving and strengthen, getting that bloodflow back to the area to promote healing. There isn't much meniscus left between the bone but if I stop moving/exercising that's when I tend to get some discomfort. I know everyone's situation is different and as much as I have had done I think I am pretty lucky where I am at

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
lol, come on Trocheck is no Slavin. Be serious. Slavin is clearly more valuable than Malkin, not sure what the argument could even be. An elite #1D is more valuable than Malkin at this point.
Repeating "lol elite #1D" is not an argument.

An elite "two way" #1D scores more than 27 points in a season. Pettersson outpaced that. I guess he's an elite "two way" #1D too because he can pace for 30 points and put up good analytics.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Slavvin is like an insanely rich man’s Dumo(rich version prime Dumo not the current washed one).

Which is obviously very valuable but not as valuable as a PPG center that plays with a bunch of dorks on his wings.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Repeating "lol elite #1D" is not an argument.

An elite "two way" #1D scores more than 27 points in a season. Pettersson outpaced that. I guess he's an elite "two way" #1D too because he can pace for 30 points and put up good analytics.

Just going to chime in here and say according to hfboards Slavin is a top 10 defensemen at #10.

Slavin doesn't get power play time because they have better options. Just going to bring up though 2018 2019 he did get 5 power play goals when he was given 1:48 a game.
Letang got 6 goals this season with 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

But you got Burns on the squad so he is better offensively And on the PP

Anyways Slavin is among the best in the NHL for defensemen and I can see why in overall rankings he would be considered above Malkin. No disrespect to Malkin. One guy is winding down his career still being an amazing player and considered high tier.

Then the other guy Slavin being a top defensemen in his prime.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Slavin's so f***ing good that he made that bigoted piece of shit human Tony DeAngelo look like a relatively competent NHL defenseman.

As far as guys who aren't Norris caliber go, but are still phenomenal two-way defenseman, just about the only guy off the top of my head that I'd put before Slavin is Devon Toews.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Slavin had 42 points the previous year. Slavin is a two way # 1 D.

Weird how Jake's previous production makes him a top winger, but Slavin's doesn't...
Seems rather subjective than objective, that's why I don't put much credence in those things.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just going to chime in here and say according to hfboards Slavin is a top 10 defensemen at #10.

Slavin doesn't get power play time because they have better options. Just going to bring up though 2018 2019 he did get 5 power play goals when he was given 1:48 a game.
Letang got 6 goals this season with 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

But you got Burns on the squad so he is better offensively And on the PP

Anyways Slavin is among the best in the NHL for defensemen and I can see why in overall rankings he would be considered above Malkin. No disrespect to Malkin. One guy is winding down his career still being an amazing player and considered high tier.

Then the other guy Slavin being a top defensemen in his prime.
1. If they have better options, perhaps he's not as capable "two way" as he's been presented.
2. Dumoulin didn't get PP time either because the Pens had a lot of better options. He still produced like Slavin.

Reactions: Doomsday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad