News Article: Dougie Hamilton vs. Seth Jones

Who should the Flyers' top target be?

• Total voters

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I went with Jones he can help you win Dougie can also be a game braker but had some defensive brain farts against tampa, Jones is the complete package IMHO.

BUT according to Kimmo Timonen the flyers already have some very good young defencemen who you could build a winning team around, the problem in his opinion is that they are not getting enough and the right type of coaching during games.

Kimmon understands how big a loss Niskanen was but he also thinks there needs to be some changes on the coaching of the defence.

I RAELY hope Kimmo one day will get tired of playing golf and having barbeques with Hartnell and that he wil become one of the coaches to help these young defencemen resch their potential.

He is the right man for the job.

Whar about signing UFA's oleksiak and savard and not trading any of provorov,sannheim or myers.

I don't think Jones is willing to sign long term in Philly he is going to do that in Dallas and Colorado will rent him for an all in season..

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I went with Jones he can help you win Dougie can also be a game braker but had some defensive brain farts against tampa, Jones is the complete package IMHO.

BUT accordinfgto Kimmo Timonen the flyers already have some very good young defencemen who you could build a winning team around, the problem in his opinion is that they are not getting enough and the right type of coaching during games.

Kimmon understands how big a loss Niskanen was but he also thinks there needs to be some changes on the coaching of the defence.

I RAELY hope Kimmo one day will get tired of playing golf and having barbeques with Hartnell and that he wil become one of the coaches to help these young defencemen resch their potential.

Whar about signing UFA's oleksiak and savard and not trading any of provorov,sannheim or myers.

I don't think Jones is willing to sign long term in Philly he is going to do that in Dallas and Colorado will rent him for an all in season..

What is the Jones/Dallas connection?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think Dallas needs a LD, not a RD though. They have Heiskanen and Klingberg who both are RHD.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I still go back to not wanting the third best defenseman on their respective teams. Hamilton is going to break the hearts of the fans for the team that signs him-ask them in Boston, Calgary and Carolina. Jones is becoming a creation of the media that wants to make him into something more than he is. I'm hoping that Colorado jumps in and nabs Jones and Toronto signs Hamilton. The Flyers will have to pursue others like Ellis or Savard. In the long run, these second choice players will do as well or better than Hamilton or Jones would have done here when you consider the assets and contracts that it would take to get them.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I still go back to not wanting the third best defenseman on their respective teams. Hamilton is going to break the hearts of the fans for the team that signs him-ask them in Boston, Calgary and Carolina. Jones is becoming a creation of the media that wants to make him into something more than he is. I'm hoping that Colorado jumps in and nabs Jones and Toronto signs Hamilton. The Flyers will have to pursue others like Ellis or Savard. In the long run, these second choice players will do as well or better than Hamilton or Jones would have done here when you consider the assets and contracts that it would take to get them.
I wouldn't put Ellis and Savard in the same sentence. Ellis is a legit top pairing guy, Savard is not.

Your points about Hamilton are legit. Defenseman with his talent level rarely end up looking for their fourth team before they turn 30 years old without good reason. Obviously he isn't a stalwart defensively but there must be something more to it and just liking to go to museums instead of ''drink with the boys'' can't be it either. I'm not at all against adding him to the Flyers but he wouldn't be my first or second choice.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I wouldn't put Ellis and Savard in the same sentence. Ellis is a legit top pairing guy, Savard is not.

Your points about Hamilton are legit. Defenseman with his talent level rarely end up looking for their fourth team before they turn 30 years old without good reason. Obviously he isn't a stalwart defensively but there must be something more to it and just liking to go to museums instead of ''drink with the boys'' can't be it either. I'm not at all against adding him to the Flyers but he wouldn't be my first or second choice.
My deal with Savard is that I like what I’ve seen with him in the POs. There may be more to him than we’ve seen of him in the past with CBJ. He may not be a #1 but he may be a guy that you could pair with that would allow a partner to do more than he has done in the past (Sanheim?) Savard is definitely a top four guy.
Hamilton, to me, is what you say he is. Hard pass. Given the choice of Hamilton, Jones, Savard, Ellis, et al., I’d take Ellis if the return wasn’t over the top.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

BUT according to Kimmo Timonen the flyers already have some very good young defencemen who you could build a winning team around, the problem in his opinion is that they are not getting enough and the right type of coaching during games.

Where did Kimmo say this stuff?

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
In his weekly finnish hockey podcat "kimmantia". He attends most of the flyers home games and watches all their home games and rely seem sto care about the franchise.

I think his personality and experience would help Myers, Sannheim and Provy reach the next level. Kimmo is has great sense of humor and but not afraid to be hones when the calls for it.

One of his main beefs was that the flyers coaching staff did not seem engaged and did not give the young d -core enough direct feedback on plays during games etc. He thinks they have all the tools but just need the right type of coaching.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In his weekly finnish hockey podcat "kimmantia". He attends most of the flyers home games and watches all their home games and rely seem sto care about the franchise.

I think his personality and experience would help Myers, Sannheim and Provy reach the next level. Kimmo is has great sense of humor and but not afraid to be hones when the calls for it.

One of his main beefs was that the flyers coaching staff did not seem engaged and did not give the young d -core enough direct feedback on plays during games etc. He thinks they have all the tools but just need the right type of coaching.

He couldnt be more right.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

A dentist is now backing up what we've been saying.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
“Missing out” on Jones is the best case scenario.
I'm not so sure thats true. If we aquired him for a reasonable package and played him as a 2nd pairing defenseman and not anoint him the second coming of Christ, i think he would be highly succesful here. We can then look to find a balance of pairings instead of loading our top guys.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Jones
York - Myers
Morin - Zamula

Looks infinately better than last year.

Signing him to become the top pairing Provorov saviour however isn't going to work out for anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00