News Article: Dougie Hamilton vs. Seth Jones

Who should the Flyers' top target be?

• Total voters

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Pfft, the WJC. Everyone knows that only points in a WHL season is an acceptable use of junior when debating defensemen.

Reactions: Larry44

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
If you believe the reports, the Flyers want Jones...so thats all that matters.

Flyers could outbid other teams if the offered up Provorov or Sanheim...would also allow them to trade before the expansion draft.

Provorov-Jones
Ghost-Myers
York-Braun
Morin
Hagg

Cant say I really hate that. I like the idea of finding a good spot for ghost instead of forcing a trade with him. Myers would have to step up...unless they added another RD to play in the top 4.
Imagine imagining Hagg as the 8th dman and believing it in your heart of hearts

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Flyers would have competition for Ristolainen if Buffalo will move him. Teams are well aware of how physically gifted he is. His hockey sense gets questioned but in terms of natural ability and physicality, everyone knows what he can do. Right-handed, good shot from point, physical style of play, used to playing a lot of minutes. There are some holes in his game and a tendency to make the same mistakes repeatedly but he does check other boxes. Ristolainen would be a high-risk (career-long inconsistency)/ high-reward potential acquisition.

JFC this is an incredible impression of Meltzer

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
What has Sanheim done in his NHL career to indicate he’s a first-pairing defenseman? What am I missing?

His assist totals the last two seasons have been mediocre for a 20+ minute defenseman whose game is supposed to be offense. Defensive zone play certainly isn’t his forte.

So what is it? A career CF% of 51?

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What has Sanheim done in his NHL career to indicate he’s a first-pairing defenseman? What am I missing?

His assist totals the last two seasons have been mediocre for a 20+ minute defenseman whose game is supposed to be offense. Defensive zone play certainly isn’t his forte.

"First pairing defenseman" isn't a high bar. We are talking about a bar Coburn and Carle could clear. Lots of dmen can play on a first pairing. What we lack is a true 1D of the caliber needed.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

Everything for Sanheim comes down to confidence. When he is playing with confidence and just out there skating he is a really good defenseman. When he loses his confidences and starts thinking too much he's pretty bad. Not exclusive to that he is always allergic to contact. Before someone jumps in with a strawman, I don't need every player to think it's still the 90's but when you have a habit of refusing to get people out of the crease it can be a problem.

The main reason that some people on this board think he's something he's not is that they choose to only focus the stretches where he is playing well and with confidence and think that's what he is in totality, and they ignore the fact that he goes through periods of time of terrible play. He is consistently inconsistent and while I have serious doubts as to whether or not he can be this top pairing PP defenseman that some want to believe he can be, perhaps he could just start by being a consistent second pairing guy. It's fascinating that some people just want to make him a top pairing guy and have him run a PP when last season he couldn't even be counted on to be a consistent second pairing guy and he has yet to show this offensive game I keep hearing about. All of that, and of course advanced stats.

The shame of it is I like the kid and want to see him do well, but I constantly find myself having to talk against him because the opinions that some have of him are so utterly ridiculous. I mean, we have people saying they wouldn't trade him straight up for Seth Jones and that Sanheim is better. Just think about that for a second.

If Sanheim is going to find any type of consistent game the Flyers should really look to pair with him a veteran defenseman who isn't afraid to do the dirty work and plays stellar defense. I said the other day that Adam Larsson would be a perfect partner for him and perhaps help him to unlock his potential on a more consistent basis. Unless/if that happens he isn't even a consistent high level second pairing guy, and the talk of him ever being a top pairing defenseman is a pipe dream.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Everything for Sanheim comes down to confidence. When he is playing with confidence and just out there skating he is a really good defenseman. When he loses his confidences and starts thinking too much he's pretty bad. Not exclusive to that he is always allergic to contact. Before someone jumps in with a strawman, I don't need every player to think it's still the 90's but when you have a habit of refusing to get people out of the crease it can be a problem.

The main reason that some people on this board think he's something he's not is that they choose to only focus the stretches where he is playing well and with confidence and think that's what he is in totality, and they ignore the fact that he goes through periods of time of terrible play. He is consistently inconsistent and while I have serious doubts as to whether or not he can be this top pairing PP defenseman that some want to believe he can be, perhaps he could just start by being a consistent second pairing guy. It's fascinating that some people just want to make him a top pairing guy and have him run a PP when last season he couldn't even be counted on to be a consistent second pairing guy and he has yet to show this offensive game I keep hearing about. All of that, and of course advanced stats.

The shame of it is I like the kid and want to see him do well, but I constantly find myself having to talk against him because the opinions that some have of him are so utterly ridiculous. I mean, we have people saying they wouldn't trade him straight up for Seth Jones and that Sanheim is better. Just think about that for a second.

If Sanheim is going to find any type of consistent game the Flyers should really look to pair with him a veteran defenseman who isn't afraid to do the dirty work and plays stellar defense. I said the other day that Adam Larsson would be a perfect partner for him and perhaps help him to unlock his potential on a more consistent basis. Unless/if that happens he isn't even a consistent high level second pairing guy, and the talk of him ever being a top pairing defenseman is a pipe dream.
And that’s always been Sanheim’s M.O. He’s passive by nature & struggles with confidence.

It’s his personality, & it’s shown itself at every level of play, under various coaches. That’s why all of the excuse-making & coach-blaming doesn’t hold water. It’s just who he is as a player.

It took him a long time to realize how good he could be in junior.

He had a difficult time at first adjusting to the AHL.

Then he struggled to adjust to the NHL, & had to be sent back to the AHL (where he did at least finally dominate).

And now, entering his 5th NHL season, he still has consistency & confidence issues, & frankly hasn’t shown any improvement.

He’s not a bad player, & he flashes his talent occasionally, but he’s inconsistent, very non-assertive, & sure not as good as his reputation here would suggest.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Sanhiem is not elite but he definitely could be top pair with Hamilton. He is underrated and Provy overrated. We have a lot of good LD. So id prefer to move the overrated guy.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Sanhiem is not elite but he definitely could be top pair with Hamilton. He is underrated and Provy overrated. We have a lot of good LD. So id prefer to move the overrated guy.
Do you think Sanheim is a better defenseman than Provorov?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Circle Jerks have really made this thread their safe space.

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes