Atlanta (Decatur)
It's on the list

So it has yet to be... finnished ?

a6a6277f8c13f1719b667c9dc0d81e48.gif

Reactions: Striiker

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Berube had nothing comparable to what Haktard or AV had. And Gordon was nothing more than a placeholder.
So you honestly think after watching the playoffs that the Flyers roster has enough talent to hang with teams like Tampa, Colorado, Vegas if the coaching just makes some adjustments and does a better job. Serious question.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not so sure thats true. If we aquired him for a reasonable package and played him as a 2nd pairing defenseman and not anoint him the second coming of Christ, i think he would be highly succesful here. We can then look to find a balance of pairings instead of loading our top guys.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Jones
York - Myers
Morin - Zamula

Looks infinately better than last year.

Signing him to become the top pairing Provorov saviour however isn't going to work out for anyone.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the opposite what I expect would happen in any Jones addition. :laugh:

If he ends up here it's going to be for an unreasonable package, result in him playing massive minutes, and then end up with a massive new contract. The amount we'd lose in the trade and the people Fletcher would get rid of to fit in Jones' contract would kill this teams present and future. They're already trying to do it and getting him would only accelerate that process.

That's why I want him to go literally anywhere other than here. He's a landmine and Fletcher is a monkey with a wrench

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Unfortunately, this is exactly the opposite what I expect would happen in any Jones addition. :laugh:

If he ends up here it's going to be for an unreasonable package, result in him playing massive minutes, and then end up with a massive new contract. The amount we'd lose in the trade and the people Fletcher would get rid of to fit in Jones' contract would kill this teams present and future. They're already trying to do it and getting him would only accelerate that process.

That's why I want him to go literally anywhere other than here. He's a landmine and Fletcher is a monkey with a wrench

Don't forget about Schmuck's sidekick, Nature Boy and his constant enabling of Schmuck making bad moves. Plus, if it's true that Farabee is going to be one of the pieces for Jones, then no thanks. That's going to be like Justin Williams all over again, moving on a good player just before they're really about to shine.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

It's the shiny new toy syndrome this franchise suffers from. They have capable people who aren't being used properly, so there's this incessant need to blow everything up and move mountains for a player. Then when it doesn't work, it's back to the drawing board. Fix what's broken first (a system that doesn't compliment the abilities of the players on the roster and a coaching staff that refuses to adjust) and you might start seeing results.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's the shiny new toy syndrome this franchise suffers from. They have capable people who aren't being used properly, so there's this incessant need to blow everything up and move mountains for a player. Then when it doesn't work, it's back to the drawing board. Fix what's broken first (a system that doesn't compliment the abilities of the players on the roster and a coaching staff that refuses to adjust) and you might start seeing results.
That’s exactly it.

And yeah, if you don’t fix the system/coaching problem first then it doesn’t matter what changes are made. It’s like watching a monkey drive a car and then when it crashes thinking the solution is to leave the monkey but change the transmission.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
This franchise hasn't moved mountains for a player in a decade.
Yep, and they could bring in Scotty Bowman in his prime and this roster isn't competing with teams like Tampa, Colorado, Vegas, etc. If people want to blame the coaches that's cool but going to the extreme of saying it's all on the coaches and the roster is good enough is silly talk.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This franchise hasn't moved mountains for a player in a decade.

Nor should they. How often do those deals work out?

The best deals are for young players who've struggled, but have a good work ethic and often just need a change of scenery and maybe the opportunity to play a bigger role on a new team to blossom.

Trading for underachievers rarely works, b/c if they don't have the fire, changing their address rarely changes their approach to the game.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yep, and they could bring in Scotty Bowman in his prime and this roster isn't competing with teams like Tampa, Colorado, Vegas, etc. If people want to blame the coaches that's cool but going to the extreme of saying it's all on the coaches and the roster is good enough is silly talk.

Nobody says the roster is good enough. It is commonly argued that the roster needs to improve, and also that the coaches are shit too and need to improve.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The team needs a 1D, that's an important fix. But one they aren't capable of.
I think they could get by without a true 1D if they built their depth properly and everyone else was being used to maximize their positive attributes. Obviously that's not the case though and instead they're doing everything in their power to minimize them and maximize the negatives.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They can get by with Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, veteran physical RHD, York, Braun, Hagg this season.
Then next year replace Braun with Zamula, sign Attard and St Ivany to play in LHV along with Hogberg and Wylie.
You don't need a 1D if you can roll 3 solid pairs.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think they could get by without a true 1D if they built their depth properly and everyone else was being used to maximize their positive attributes. Obviously that's not the case though and instead they're doing everything in their power to minimize them and maximize the negatives.

Sure. Sullivan took a Cup with Letang injured.

There's just no chance of this team building a roster like that, or hiring a coach like that. So we better hope a true 1D emerges or joins to compliment Couturier and Giroux before it's too late.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Sure. Sullivan took a Cup with Letang injured.

There's just no chance of this team building a roster like that, or hiring a coach like that. So we better hope a true 1D emerges or joins to compliment Couturier and Giroux before it's too late.

There is nothing even close to a superstar 1C or 1D after that “rebuild”. They struggle to field a forward/defenseman under 28 that even approaches anything close to that status.

Going to find out fairly soon if Hart is a upper tier 1G as well. A nice first season followed by a shitshow where he rightfully got taken out of the lineup.

I’m really as anti AV and crew as can be, but they need a hell of a lot more in my eyes to compete than a competent coaching.

It’s likely Scott and Fletcher try to learn more from Montreal’s lightning in a bottle run, as opposed to Tampa.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There is nothing even close to a superstar 1C or 1D after that “rebuild”. They struggle to field a forward/defenseman under 28 that even approaches anything close to that status.

Going to find out fairly soon if Hart is a upper tier 1G as well. A nice first season followed by a shitshow where he rightfully got taken out of the lineup.

I’m really as anti AV and crew as can be, but they need a hell of a lot more in my eyes to compete than a competent coaching.

It’s likely Scott and Fletcher try to learn more from Montreal’s lightning in a bottle run, as opposed to Tampa.

Taking a lesser roster to serious contention requires excellent coaching and the Flyers don't value that. So they need to build a bulletproof roster. But they can't do that, either, because they're too obsessed with bringing on slop and bleeding value instead of finding the steals.

Sports are fun and diverting.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Basically, we thought we drafted well but realistically we didn't. Hextall picked some good players but left some great ones on the table. Actual game-changers.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Nobody says the roster is good enough. It is commonly argued that the roster needs to improve, and also that the coaches are shit too and need to improve.
That is incorrect. Lol dude, you literally quoted someone in your very next post that said
''Competent coaching and playing players in suitable roles is the only fix this team needs.''

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That is incorrect. Lol dude, you literally quoted someone in your very next post that said
''Competent coaching and playing players in suitable roles is the only fix this team needs.''

Ah so you take a single post and pretend it's the belief of many.

This explains why you constantly make goofy claims about what the forum thinks that are wrong.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Ah so you take a single post and pretend it's the belief of many.

This explains why you constantly make goofy claims about what the forum thinks that are wrong.
Seriously dude, are you honestly capable of having any discussion without going directly to a strawman. At no point did I say, imply, or anything remotely similar to the fact that it's the belief of many.

The only reason that I even brought it up was because that dude that you quoted made a couple of posts stating this opinion and I was disagreeing with his point. For your own sake, just do me a favor and think about this objectively. You quoted me and said NOBODY thinks the team is good enough as constructed. Directly below that you quoted somebody who said that exact thing. I simply point that out and you moved the goal post to making it up that I am pretending it's the belief of many. Just stop, you aren't doing yourself any favors by doubling down on being incorrect.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Seriously dude, are you honestly capable of having any discussion without going directly to a strawman. At no point did I say, imply, or anything remotely similar to the fact that it's the belief of many.

The only reason that I even brought it up was because that dude that you quoted made a couple of posts stating this opinion and I was disagreeing with his point. For your own sake, just do me a favor and think about this objectively. You quoted me and said NOBODY thinks the team is good enough as constructed. Directly below that you quoted somebody who said that exact thing. I simply point that out and you moved the goal post to making it up that I am pretending it's the belief of many. Just stop, you aren't doing yourself any favors by doubling down on being incorrect.

You implied it when you said this:

"Yep, and they could bring in Scotty Bowman in his prime and this roster isn't competing with teams like Tampa, Colorado, Vegas, etc. If people want to blame the coaches that's cool but going to the extreme of saying it's all on the coaches and the roster is good enough is silly talk."

See right there when you talk about people, plural? Rather than one person. You took the opinion of one and ascribed it to many.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You implied it when you said this:

"Yep, and they could bring in Scotty Bowman in his prime and this roster isn't competing with teams like Tampa, Colorado, Vegas, etc. If people want to blame the coaches that's cool but going to the extreme of saying it's all on the coaches and the roster is good enough is silly talk."

See right there when you talk about people, plural? Rather than one person. You took the opinion of one and ascribed it to many.
So which one is it. Did I say it or imply it because that goal post got moved too. Either way I implied nothing. You are lying and twisting my words yet again to try to talk your way out of being proven wrong rather than just be a stand up dude and admit it. You really can't get out of your own way and I honestly am starting to feel bad for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad