• Total voters

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Sanheim and Ghost are underrated.

Provorov and Jones are overrated.

But we can all agree that Braun is our best D

... and pour one out for the memory of Nisky.

DhujeqV.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
How? They're in line with his eye test. Nothing is out of order. They appear to accurately measure his results.
Well, the obvious immediate response:

Sanheim last season was a 51.0% CF% (his career average). That would, allegedly, accurately be reflected in goals scored & against when he’s on the ice. Yet he was -22 in 55 games; so obviously his results don’t mesh with his possession metrics.

There’s a history of fans overrating possession metrics. Look at Colin Miller. Nate Schmidt. Plenty of others whom spreadsheet acolytes loved until they changed situations & it turned out their metrics gave false impressions.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, the obvious immediate response:

Sanheim last season was a 51.0% CF% (his career average). That would, allegedly, accurately be reflected in goals scored & against when he’s on the ice. Yet he was -22 in 55 games; so obviously his results don’t mesh with his possession metrics.

There’s a history of fans overrating possession metrics. Look at Colin Miller. Nate Schmidt. Plenty of others whom spreadsheet acolytes loved until they changed situations & it turned out their metrics gave false impressions.

We've already explained in detail why CF alone cherrypicked and devoid of further context is borderline useless, and how that's been known for years. Why are you pulling that, and not his full range of metrics as well as teammate, system, and goalie context? Further comedy to see +/- as the punchline.

Possession metrics are not overrated. They're rated properly by those who understand them. You have no understanding of them, how they are used, or how people here use them. That's your problem, not a problem with the metrics.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
We've already explained in detail why CF alone cherrypicked and devoid of further context is borderline useless, and how that's been known for years. Why are you pulling that, and not his full range of metrics as well as teammate, system, and goalie context? Further comedy to see +/- as the punchline.

Possession metrics are not overrated. They're rated properly by those who understand them. You have no understanding of them, how they are used, or how people here use them. That's your problem, not a problem with the metrics.
His results were -22 in 55 games. So if you want to praise him for something, it ain’t results. That’s your problem.

Reactions: The Madrigal

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim had a better season than Provorov, but Provorov has had a better career. And Sanheim is 10 months older.
Both have some flaws, neither is a franchise D-men, but both are top 4 D-men and still young enough to take their game up another notch.

Sanheim has to translate the flash and good metrics into actual scoring, predictive metrics don't have value unless what they predict comes true.
Provorov has to get back to his best years, 2017-18 and 2019-20 and consistently play at that level and incrementally improve.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I’d be tentatively happy with either depending on the price. Either way, I don’t think it will matter much unless Provy regains his form and one of Sanheim or Myers step up.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Here we go again with ''the metrics I decide are important matter, but the ones that don't support my argument, don't.'' Better yet, how about how context doesn't matter when numbers supports the argument, but when they don't and it becomes convenient context is all of a sudden important.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out when the eye test does and does not matter since that also seems to come and go when it's convenient. Way too easy GB, certain people just can't help but expose themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Here we go again with ''the metrics I decide are important matter, but the ones that don't support my argument, don't.'' Better yet, how about how context doesn't matter when numbers supports the argument, but when they don't and it becomes convenient context is all of a sudden important.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out when the eye test does and does not matter since that also seems to come and go when it's convenient. Way too easy GB, certain people just can't help but expose themselves.

If you think CF and +/- are a hill worth dying on then you obviously don't understand stats either. Always funny to see people rail about stuff they don't understand.

Nobody uses those stats for meaningful discussion. It's not a case of "oh those don't count now," those don't get used like that period.

I try to include the eye test as part of context every time. It always matters with me. The processes should match the numbers. What's hard to figure out? Why, it's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about, which makes the smug condescension quite humorous.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If you think CF and +/- are a hill worth dying on then you obviously don't understand stats either. Always funny to see people rail about stuff they don't understand.

Nobody uses those stats for meaningful discussion. It's not a case of "oh those don't count now," those don't get used like that period.

I try to include the eye test as part of context every time. It always matters with me. The processes should match the numbers. What's hard to figure out? Why, it's almost like you have no idea what you're talking about, which makes the smug condescension quite humorous.

8koPL7FgddMIUb2zia.gif

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
We should get that mediocre scorer Sanheim out of here.

There have been 27 Defenseman who have at least 3500 TOI from the beginning of the 2018-2019 season through the 2020-2021 Season.

5v5 Goals/60: .25 (tied for 9th w/ Provorov)
5v5 Primary Assists/60: .41 (tied for 7th)
5v5 Points/60: 1.00 (9th)

He drives play (offensively & otherwise). Let’s get this mediocrity out of here though!

tqLZ.gif

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We should get that mediocre scorer Sanheim out of here.

There have been 27 Defenseman who have at least 3500 TOI from the beginning of the 2018-2019 season through the 2020-2021 Season.

5v5 Goals/60: .25 (tied for 9th w/ Provorov)
5v5 Primary Assists/60: .41 (tied for 7th)
5v5 Points/60: 1.00 (9th)

He drives play (offensively & otherwise). Let’s get this mediocrity out of here though!

I feel like this post needs a broken image, Ted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad