Doughty calls out Canucks: embarrassing to lose 8-2 to “a team like that.”

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
As I'm Canadian, I apologize.

The Kings are basically the Canucks in the 2013-15 era. Right off success where they were winning games by blowouts to losing more games than not, with some of the team not willing to accept that the team they're on a team that is no longer a cup contender. If it sounds reasonable, it's because I lived through those years just a little while ago.

Doughty shouldn't have implied that the Canucks aren't a good team as it's not a diplomatic way of putting it down. Yesterday's game was when the Canucks got the bounces (e.g. Miller's goal) and the Kings didn't. But he did call out his team for not playing well, even though it didn't help that anytime the Kings scored, the Canucks answered right back less than a couple minutes later in both goals. Quick was the main reason the Kings lost, but you can't call out your own goalie for being bad because the team will lose faith in him.

yeah Quick has been bad for a couple of years now, and yes some of my kings fans fail to see this, but they'll come along

regardless, i usually find Doughty's antics hilarious and based on some kind of a fact (or at leas a valid opinion), but i thought it was odd that he called out the Canucks for not being a good team, it's obvious that the Canucks are trending the right way and are oozing with young talent

anyway hoping this stupid comment of his doesn't taint Nucks fans' opinion about the Kings, i use to dislike the Canucks but they've grown on me over the years

that's as polite as i can be lol take it!

Reactions: Paradise Circus

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol!....Hall of Fame goalie Gump Worsley who was playing the Rangers at the time was once asked: "Which team in the NHL gives you the most trouble?"....his answer "the Rangers".

But back to the Kings..... I guess when you've had the career Doughty has had, you can rip your team and it can still be seen as a 'positive'.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Hes one of the few guys in the league that doesnt speak with a filter. Sometimes I dont agree but I can respect it.

Reactions: Chimp

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Lost in this non-story is how bad Kovalchuk looked. Fast becoming my least favourite player to lace 'em up for the Kings, might even catch J.R. at this point.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Doughty needs to accept that his team won't be anywhere near being a contender for the remaining years of his contract. They need alot more than just a couple of good prospects.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
yeah Quick has been bad for a couple of years now, and yes some of my kings fans fail to see this, but they'll come along

regardless, i usually find Doughty's antics hilarious and based on some kind of a fact (or at leas a valid opinion), but i thought it was odd that he called out the Canucks for not being a good team, it's obvious that the Canucks are trending the right way and are oozing with young talent

anyway hoping this stupid comment of his doesn't taint Nucks fans' opinion about the Kings, i use to dislike the Canucks but they've grown on me over the years

that's as polite as i can be lol take it!

Hah, appreciate the effort!

It takes more than one player to ruin a team for me (unless that player is Brad Marchand :naughty:). I have liked a number of Kings players over the year like Blake and Robitaille. Plus I felt sorry for the fans of the Kings when, after trading Cloutier to the Kings, they resigned him for another two years when he wasn't worth it.

Here's hoping both teams get back to the playoffs sooner than later.

Reactions: KingPuckChoo

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
This has been floating around and it’s too good not to share

Attachments

• 30735285-2C41-4CBB-8FF0-3142102FFC88.png
    30735285-2C41-4CBB-8FF0-3142102FFC88.png
    471.3 KB · Views: 8

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Fans regarding players and coaches following the PR manuscript with the same clichée answers to the clichée questions the journalists ask: "Hockey players are so boring, they never go out of the box, it's so blaaand."

Fans regarding players and coaches going out of the box and give their own take on it, without the clichée filters: "What an arrogant bum, how dare he speak like that, he should be ashamed of himself!"

If you're a fan that complains about both, you should take a long, hard look in the mirror. If you hold your ground on one of them, fine.

I'm one of those who like players and coaches that speak their mind and don't give the scripted standard replies.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Someone should tell Drew Doughty that the Canucks are better than his team
I don’t think you understand the point he made. He was saying they aren’t 6 goals better... it’s not the same thing.

Seriously, everyone that posted about him saying the Kings are better than the Canucks, or that the Kings should be contending, should be embarrassed at your own lack of basic English comprehension (which I realise is a terrible sentence). It’s very clear what he meant, I guess maybe you were drunk?

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The fact that the Kings are worse than the Canucks doesn't change the fact that the Canucks aren't good either and it definitely is embarrassing to lose 8-2 against them.

Reactions: Pip

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is Doughty trying to become the Champion of dumb comments? You finished worse than them just last season, which means they are the better team. While I agree he should be embarrassed to lose 8-2, running down a team that finished ahead of you last season is idiotic. Also, even if the Kings won 70 games last season and the Canucks won 10, but still beat them 8-2, the comment is low class, to which seems to be Doughty's norm.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Doughty is slowly turning into the Mike Milbury of this generation!

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
1) I'm one of those who appreciates his bluntness- don't always agree, but it's refreshing.
2) I think he's just trying to fire his boys up, wouldn't be surprised if 'Nucks try to bury 'em next game for it though.
3) I don't see how his being -3 contradicts what he said- he's part of his team, he never said or hinted at being exempt. Guess he coulda made it clearer with the cliched "I gotta be better myself" but I figure that'd just implied. He's a hockey player, not a PR rep, he won't always get the wording right.
4) If you don't like Doughty speaking his mind, fine- just never complain about players lacking personality. I feel like it shouldn't need saying, but it seems unclear to some so I'll say it anyways- you won't like every personality. That's not how the world works. You take the good with the bad, you can't expect every player to have some golden personality that you approve of- for every Gardiner Minshew there'll be an Antonio Brown (bad example, but you get the idea).

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Why is this a story? Why is it that every time Doughty opens his mouth people are suddenly offended? I'm sure he would still be pissed if they lost 8-2 to Tampa or something but is he wrong to be upset at his team for getting embarrassed by an average at best team? People wonder why these guys never speak their minds and sound like robots after the games, it's because of threads like this.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Doughty calls bad team bad, ignores his own bad team

Doughty calls out Mcdavid for being overly dramatic to draw penalty calls, Doughty is classy and does not play it up for the refs.

Doughty has the highest level of unironic self awareness in the NHL.

Signed Doughty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad