Doughty calls out Canucks: embarrassing to lose 8-2 to “a team like that.”

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He's beyond wrong. His once proud team has aged into a caricature of itself, a sad, dilapidated circus act. He's the ringmaster that is out of touch with the fact that his trapeze artists are 50 years old and can't climb the ladder any more.
yeah he said its embarrassing they lost that bad hes totally right

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I love hearing players be more outspoken, so I always enjoy reading about pissed off Doughty.
That being said - it's becoming a bit redundant that he complains about his team sucking. Maybe he should do something about it on the ice?

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Doughty calls bad team bad, ignores his own bad team

Doughty calls out Mcdavid for being overly dramatic to draw penalty calls, Doughty is classy and does not play it up for the refs.

Doughty has the highest level of unironic self awareness in the NHL.

Signed Doughty.

He calls it like it is in the moment. People just like to post his "bad" comments on HF.

DD about McDavid:“I shouldn’t say this, but all I’ve seen basically on my Instagram the last couple weeks or so is him getting breakaways and breakaways and breakaways. And that’s my No. 1 fear when I play against Connor; his speed and his moves are so quick that you have to honour his fakes because he’s so fast that you have to honour them. So that’s always my biggest nightmare, that I’m going to give up a breakaway and he’s going to make me look foolish.”

......“Oh yeah, [I talk to him] all the time,” Doughty said. “I feel like I had his number up until the last game and I always let him know that, that I felt that way, and he had mine last game, so he kind of showed me up.”
It’s hard to pin down the Edmonton wunderkind on the spectrum of on-ice conversation.
“He doesn’t say too, too much. He’s a quiet kid,” Doughty said. “But I’m the type of guy that likes to kind of get in people’s faces a little bit and chirping ‘em and stuff like that, so it makes me play better a lot of the times. It gets me into the games, and I think a lot of times throws the other players off their game, but in that last instance with him I obviously didn’t throw him off, because he owned me.”

Doughty talks playing against McDavid
Doughty: McDavid "owned me" and "kind of showed me up" - LA Kings Insider

DD about McDavid and Mckinnion:
“When they have that speed and you’re gapped out, to be honest it’s a little bit of a panic,” Doughty told Scott Oake and Louie DeBrusk on After Hours. “You try to get your feet moving. If you cross over you’re completely screwed.
“They’re two of the best players at it and I’m not gonna lie, I’m a little bit scared when I see them flying down on me.”

Doughty gets 'a little bit scared' facing down McDavid, MacKinnon - Sportsnet.ca

He calls out his team too. He basically calls out everybody, himself included.

The Kings will tell you there was a lack of accountability last season. A lot of the policing once came from the leadership group, as well as the coaches. “When I was a young guy in the league, teammates and coaches got on me every day and it was more teammates and coaches, and that’s kind of shied away (from),” said Doughty, who is going into his 12th NHL season. “Guys don’t get on young guys like they used to in the past. I don’t know why that is, but I think with this new coaching staff, everyone’s going to be held accountable to the same level.”

But … some of the older players don’t have the personality to do that, according to Doughty.

“That’s just not at all how they are,” he said. “And I’m sure some guys don’t like that other guys get on other guys. … So it’s a very fine line. How hard to get on guys and what to say to guys. And now guys are a little more fragile, so you can’t say as bad things as you could in the past.”

'We shouldn't be surprised if we make trades': Drew Doughty...

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I love hearing players be more outspoken, so I always enjoy reading about pissed off Doughty.
That being said - it's becoming a bit redundant that he complains about his team sucking. Maybe he should do something about it on the ice?

He's got 4 points in three games including 2 goals and the OTGWG in their only win while sticking the shutdown assignments despite being the only competent d-man on the team and thus drawing extra attention all over the ice. 2nd on the team in scoring, tied for lead in goals, all the while playing all the hard zone starts, pk mins, etc...

He's more than pulling his own weight. Guess he should be playing goalie too?

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
He's got 4 points in three games including 2 goals and the OTGWG in their only win while sticking the shutdown assignments despite being the only competent d-man on the team and thus drawing extra attention all over the ice. 2nd on the team in scoring, tied for lead in goals, all the while playing all the hard zone starts, pk mins, etc...

He's more than pulling his own weight. Guess he should be playing goalie too?
Edler does it ...

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Ah yes, let's equate him and his team to women for a musty old misogynistic burn in the year of our lord 2019. Is that the best you can bring? Up your game - dig a little.

It got under your skin, so..... I like it the way it is.:D

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
For those that didn't watch the game Canucks could have scored 10 that game and it was mostly because of defence collapse and poor goaltending.

Focus on improving yourself Doughty.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Emotional fans overreact to emotional player. Whoda thought?

Seriously though, Doughty probably thinks the exact same way as any other player around the league, especially when you consider the timing of his comments... probably the only difference between him and the rest of the players is he doesn’t care about speaking his mind (publicly. I bet lots talk like him to each other). It’s refreshing if you aren’t determined to dislike him lol

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So just for fun, here's what Doughty actually said:

Drew Doughty, on whether it was hard to “park” Tuesday’s game and emotion:
I mean, I ain’t going to park it. It’s just embarrassing. I mean, a team like that should not be beating a team like ours 8-2. There’s actually no way. I know they had a lot of energy right off the bat because it’s their home opener and they had their whole ordeal with the captain and whatever. But we had chances to come back, and then we just gave up a goal right after we scored a goal. It was a bad team effort by everyone on this team, I thought.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So just for fun, here's what Doughty actually said:

Drew Doughty, on whether it was hard to “park” Tuesday’s game and emotion:
I mean, I ain’t going to park it. It’s just embarrassing. I mean, a team like that should not be beating a team like ours 8-2. There’s actually no way. I know they had a lot of energy right off the bat because it’s their home opener and they had their whole ordeal with the captain and whatever. But we had chances to come back, and then we just gave up a goal right after we scored a goal. It was a bad team effort by everyone on this team, I thought.

So basically they blew the whole thing out of proportion.

Any time you get beat 8-2, you should be embarrassed unless you were like playing the 80s Oilers in their prime or something.

Reactions: kilowatt

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This absolute turdburglar pinned the misquote out of context to get clicks, and when called out on his journalistic standards, got defensive and lashed out on everyone. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Don't put a paraphrase in direct quotes. High school level journalism. And have some f***ing integrity, don't completely ignore context. Shameful 'reporting.'

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fans regarding players and coaches following the PR manuscript with the same clichée answers to the clichée questions the journalists ask: "Hockey players are so boring, they never go out of the box, it's so blaaand."

Fans regarding players and coaches going out of the box and give their own take on it, without the clichée filters: "What an arrogant bum, how dare he speak like that, he should be ashamed of himself!"

If you're a fan that complains about both, you should take a long, hard look in the mirror. If you hold your ground on one of them, fine.

I'm one of those who like players and coaches that speak their mind and don't give the scripted standard replies.
Thinking Doughty is a knob and enjoying honest players are not mutually exclusive.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
He is fantastic. Love the passion and the hate he has for the Canucks. You can tell he absolutely loves the game.

FAMOUSfin

Oct 11, 2011

I think it's more fun to see the overreaction from the resident lynch mob who constantly cry over anything Doughty says or does.

I need a full list of teams Doughty thinks should be beating the Kings 8-2 before I can decide whether I should be insulted or not.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I am fine with Doughty being pissed at the Kings performance. Better than not giving a damn.

Although, given this and other comments I wonder if things go sideways this season if he might request a trade.

Idk of theres an "if" anymore when it comes to things coming off the rails. I feel like it's getting to the point where we just look up and see a giant asteroid with the kings logo on it. At this point everyone on the team just seems to be along for the ride until they crash at 10,000 mph. You cant get off going that fast, its a one way ticket.

I speak from experience as an Oilers fan...as you well know

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->