News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don’t for a second believe Dorion believes that, but I’m sure he has to in order to look out for his job security.

This team needs a bottom finish. NEEDS.

This is the best chance they will ever have with the new lottery system to get a franchise level player, the team is built terribly in the middle/start of a rebuild.

Everything is lining perfectly to say “we are in for a rough, rebuilding year; we will continue to see growth in our young core, and we will move on ahead with our plan to success through a proper scorched earth rebuild”.

Maybe I’m not aware of how casual fans would react, but they can’t really be buying this improvement and we need to be a playoff bubble team lip service are they?

Reactions: h2

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion: finir 30e ou 31e, «c’est inacceptable»

Just gonna leave this here. Seems relevant.

The Senators have a messaging issue and continually trotting Dorion out in front of cameras and microphones isn't going to fix that.

Unacceptable. I am sure this is all part of Dorion's way of trying to motivate the troops. I guess its better than saying inevitable. The teams he cobbled together the past 2 years finished 30th and 31st and both those teams had better players... I am sure he would say and has said it is unacceptable. Didn't change what happened. I'll give them a very outside shot at 29th which apparently is acceptable.

I think half of this messaging has to do with how Dorion blows his own horn to Melnyk. He doesn't seem to get that everyone and their uncle predicts them to finish last and that they are in an early rebuild with very few players ready to take them up a few rungs. It will be unacceptable next year too.

Reactions: Yak

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think the whole organization is going to take a big step forward, from drafted players to prospects to ECHL, to AHL. Don't know what to expect for the NHL team, but just rising from the ashes and erasing a lot of uncertainty with star players I would consider a big step. Fresh start

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think the whole organization is going to take a big step forward

If they take any more steps backwards, they're at risk to walk right off a cliff.

I'm not sure what exactly is motivating your confidence in a big push in the right direction, but the fact that there's really not much room to continue regressing as an organization probably means your prediction is at the very least somewhat true.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don’t for a second believe Dorion believes that, but I’m sure he has to in order to look out for his job security.

This is the best chance they will ever have with the new lottery system to get a franchise level player, the team is built terribly in the middle/start of a rebuild.

Everything is lining perfectly to say “we are in for a rough, rebuilding year; we will continue to see growth in our young core, and we will move on ahead with our plan to success through a proper scorched earth rebuild”.

Maybe I’m not aware of how casual fans would react, but they can’t really be buying this improvement and we need to be a playoff bubble team lip service are they?

There's a new lottery system?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If they take any more steps backwards, they're at risk to walk right off a cliff.

I'm not sure what exactly is motivating your confidence in a big push in the right direction, but the fact that there's really not much room to continue regressing as an organization probably means your prediction is at the very least somewhat true.

Well, in terms of individual level steps forward, there is going to be a lot of opportunities created by the voids left by Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel's departures. Somebody is going to benefit from increased icetime, PP time, and role. That's going to have a trickle down effect I would think. I also think our depth at the org level is better, so the AHL team will probably be stronger.

Does that constitute a step forward for the org as a whole though?

I also think it's darn near impossible for us to have as much bad press as we've had since Nov 2017. So, we're bound to be heading in the right direction on that front; there's barely anybody left to get arrested, screw up negotiations with, accuse of cyber-bullying, or to have an Uber scandal, and there's no multi-billion dollar real-estate deal to fall through either.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I also think it's darn near impossible for us to have as much bad press as we've had since Nov 2017. So, we're bound to be heading in the right direction on that front; there's barely anybody left to get arrested, screw up negotiations with, accuse of cyber-bullying, or to have an Uber scandal, and there's no multi-billion dollar real-estate deal to fall through either.

Yeah, this was basically the point I was trying to make. Agreed.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There's a new lottery system?
New as in 2016 where the last place team can fall to 4th, where there is usually a steep drop off in talent compared to 1st and 2nd. Before that, like the Sabres, you could tank, and the lowest you could drop is to 2nd.

This draft offers high, high end talent at #3-7 that most drafts don’t, where you’re picking a legit franchise level player at 4th which you usually can’t.

Reactions: Sensinitis

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Yeah, this was basically the point I was trying to make. Agreed.

I expect ticket sales to be awful this season, and with Lebreton dead, I think we'll start hearing Melnyk talk relocation talk by December. While it'll be a baseless threat, it'll snowball into lot's of bad press and distraction.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
On paper, the roster is worse than the one they started with last year, so any "step forward" will likely come from youth development, not in the standings. Additions like Ennis, Hainsey and Zaitsev are inconsequential at best, so imo coaching and goaltending are the two variables most likely to impact the situation.

Either way, anything less than another tank and high pick is a disaster. Who gives a shit where they finish beyond that.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think "a big step forward" means showing they will be a fun team to watch again and that there is hope for the future; two things that have been dearly missing for the last season and a half. Detroit and LA are going to be battling us all season for bottom of the standings, but no one is expecting anything else. There are 6 talents in this draft that are considered "Elite" and odds are we draft a hell of a player with our pick (fingers crossed for Byfield).

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We would all be happy with a shift in our goal scoring to the 22 and under crew. Ideally we lose a bunch of games with Brown, Brady, Bath, Chabot , White etc all over the scoresheet and we can blame the loss on crappy goal tending and Hainsey/Borocop.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I think it is more about making sure that we don't let apathy settle in. Once the downward trend is established, getting out of it can be very difficult.

I think that, internally, expectations are to finish near the bottom. However, that is not something you ever want to been seen as wearing on your sleeve.

I can respect the attitude. Selling tickets isn't easy at the best of times, you don't want casuals assuming the team is going to suck night-in, night-out, the GM has to give people a reason to buy tickets when the season is around the corner.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think "a big step forward" means showing they will be a fun team to watch again and that there is hope for the future; two things that have been dearly missing for the last season and a half. Detroit and LA are going to be battling us all season for bottom of the standings, but no one is expecting anything else. There are 6 talents in this draft that are considered "Elite" and odds are we draft a hell of a player with our pick (fingers crossed for Byfield).

I don't see how we'll be more fun to watch without EK, Duchene and Stone.

It's going to be a very painful year. I can only hope it doesn't affect our rookies' development. There's basically no insulation at forward.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think their saving grace will be that they have their pick this time. There's something to look forward to and at least a reason for fans to stay interested unlike last year.

Last season was basically pointless for them other than letting time pass since even the draft was a painful thought instead of being something to look forward to.

If that Duchene trade never happens, the fan base would have been open to the rebuild so much more. No lost lottery pick. Turris as a UFA dealt at the deadline one year prior to Stone and Karlsson would have been an easier sell and spread the pain. No mixed messaging of going for it only to throw your hands up a month or so later. No needing to accept quantity over quality for Karlsson to re-stock most of what you gave up for Duchene.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think their saving grace will be that they have their pick this time. There's something to look forward to and at least a reason for fans to stay interested unlike last year.

Last season was basically pointless for them other than letting time pass since even the draft was a painful thought instead of being something to look forward to.

If that Duchene trade never happens, the fan base would have been open to the rebuild so much more. No lost lottery pick. Turris as a UFA dealt at the deadline one year prior to Stone and Karlsson would have been an easier sell and spread the pain. No mixed messaging of going for it only to throw your hands up a month or so later. No needing to accept quantity over quality for Karlsson to re-stock most of what you gave up for Duchene.

Assuming we keep the pick.

With Dorian and Melynk at the helm, I'm not convinced we keep it. I can definitely see a scenario where a bunch of excited kids roar out of the gates, and the team actually looks decent by early December, and you-know-who starts seriously thinking about playoff revenues, and pushes for another "Duchene-level" trade, just in time for the team to fall off a cliff again.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Assuming we keep the pick.

With Dorian and Melynk at the helm, I'm not convinced we keep it. I can definitely see a scenario where a bunch of excited kids roar out of the gates, and the team actually looks decent by early December, and you-know-who starts seriously thinking about playoff revenues, and pushes for another "Duchene-level" trade, just in time for the team to fall off a cliff again.
Nothing would surprise me with this group, but that would be insane. That would pretty much top all of the other short sighted, stupid shit they've done to this point.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Nothing would surprise me with this group, but that would be insane. That would pretty much top all of the other short sighted, stupid **** they've done to this point.

You post daily about it, so for sure you won’t be surprised.

Personally, I think it is so unlikely to happen as people have pointed out many times: if they lose Chabot ...there is no rebuild.

It will happen. The group they are putting around him is for him, same for k-chuck.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Personally, I think it is so unlikely to happen as people have pointed out many times: if they lose Chabot ...there is no rebuild.

It will happen. The group they are putting around him is for him, same for k-chuck.
There’s a big possibility of Chabot signing an offer sheet that is heavily loaded with signing bonuses. GM’s are aware of Melnyk’s cash flow issues.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There’s a big possibility of Chabot signing an offer sheet that is heavily loaded with signing bonuses. GM’s are aware of Melnyk’s cash flow issues.

I don't have the numbers but I have a hard time imagining a team willing to give up four first round picks to get Chabot.

I have to imagine we'd match anything else: we may have no money but Chabot being great didn't happen out of nowhere. They can't not have money available to at least try to sign him or match an offer sheet like what MTL offered Aho.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't have the numbers but I have a hard time imagining a team willing to give up four first round picks to get Chabot.

I have to imagine we'd match anything else: we may have no money but Chabot being great didn't happen out of nowhere. They can't not have money available to at least try to sign him or match an offer sheet like what MTL offered Aho.

The compensation for anything up to $10.5 million per year is 2 firsts, a second, and a third.

That's a light price to pay for Chabot, especially since I really don't have faith Melnyk would pay that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The compensation for anything up to $10.5 million per year is 2 firsts, a second, and a third.

That's a light price to pay for Chabot, especially since I really don't have faith Melnyk would pay that.

Is it? That seems insane... Why didn't MTL offer more if they hoped to get Carolina to balk at matching? That makes that offer sheet seem even more silly.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Is it? That seems insane... Why didn't MTL offer more if they hoped to get Carolina to balk at matching? That makes that offer sheet seem even more silly.

Sorry I should clarify. It's not anything. But the compensation between 8.45 per year and 10.56 per year is 2 firsts, a second, and a third.

Personally I think Montreal was just kicking the tires and didn't really give a damn if Carolina took offense.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Yup, I never got a new girlfriend and still don't trust the people in charge.

Obviously me assuming he's gone is my own perspective, but I'm not just speaking from personal standpoint or any groundbreaking stuff here. Senators fans have been through hell and lost so many beloved players, even before this latest rebuild, so i dont think fans would be terribly surprised if they ultimately lose Chabot or are on pins and needles leading up to July next year. It would be met with a reaction of it just being filed under more of the same with some heated criticism for a few weeks then back to normal in Sens land.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sorry I should clarify. It's not anything. But the compensation between 8.45 per year and 10.56 per year is 2 firsts, a second, and a third.

Personally I think Montreal was just kicking the tires and didn't really give a damn if Carolina took offense.

Yeah I got ya. Just seems insane that another team could poach a player "worth" 10.5 per and "only" give up two first rounders and 2nd and a 3rd.

Although, that being said... Four picks, all in the first three rounds, for any player is pretty big honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00