News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I just hope we don't have a over achiever year with teams under estimating our prospects and go on some stupid run.

How do we protect against that happening?

Playing our young players with big minutes? However we don't want to kill their confidence or let them over achieve.

Play our vets more and let our young players take their time to develop over the season gradually increasing their playing time? However give them some chances to excel.

Trade deadline sell off all vets worth anything of value!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah I got ya. Just seems insane that another team could poach a player "worth" 10.5 per and "only" give up two first rounders and 2nd and a 3rd.

Although, that being said... Four picks, all in the first three rounds, for any player is pretty big honestly.

It depends...

If you're a GM and you honestly think your team will be picking 25th-32nd for the next few years, will two players in that range realistically be better than Chabot? I'm not counting the 2nd and 3rd rounders, as those kinds of picks can be obtained by trading secondary type players and/or contracts.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I just hope we don't have a over achiever year with teams under estimating our prospects and go on some stupid run.

How do we protect against that happening?

Playing our young players with big minutes? However we don't want to kill their confidence or let them over achieve.

Play our vets more and let our young players take their time to develop over the season gradually increasing their playing time? However give them some chances to excel.

Trade deadline sell off all vets worth anything of value!

Craig Anderson

Reactions: Alex1234

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Very doubtful. Highly unlikely.

Every week,the same FUD. Do we need to bring this into this thread?
Saying it's doubtful and unlikely doesn't make it true. Carolina was perceived to have cash-flow issues and Montreal tried cashing on that this very off-season. It's naive to think the same couldn't happen to us, and there's never been more reason to believe it could.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Saying it's doubtful and unlikely doesn't make it true. Carolina was perceived to have cash-flow issues and Montreal tried cashing on that this very off-season. It's naive to think the same couldn't happen to us, and there's never been more reason to believe it could.
It’s not naive if we repeat it enough!

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

We've seen multiple players receive offer sheets this offseason. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Chabot is ripe for poaching.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
We've seen multiple players receive offer sheets this offseason. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Chabot is ripe for poaching.

IMO I don't think Chabot will be leaving. If there's one thing Dorion has done well, it's that he's built an atmosphere with players who all get along and want to win together.

If Melnyk and Dorion can offer a contract between the 7-9 mil range, with some signing bonuses, I think the deal gets done.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
IMO I don't think Chabot will be leaving. If there's one thing Dorion has done well, it's that he's built an atmosphere with players who all get along and want to win together.

If Melnyk and Dorion can offer a contract between the 7-9 mil range, with some signing bonuses, I think the deal gets done.
That's a big if. If they didn't sign Stone for 9M and a C on the sweater, what makes you think Chabot would be a different story?

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
That's a big if. If they didn't sign Stone for 9M and a C on the sweater, what makes you think Chabot would be a different story?

Although Stone isn't very old, I don't think he necessarily fit with the age timeline we're putting together. IMO if i'm the GM, I would've signed him and given him the C, as he's a great leader and player. But unfortunately I don't think he wanted to sign, so it was time to move on.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013

Hence, PD trading him because he doesn't fit the age timeline... I also find it hard to believe too he wouldn't want to play in Vegas vs Ottawa. My family has some minor connections to the Ceci's and apparently they (Ceci and Stone) were drooling at the opportunity to play there.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Because you don't like it?

[mod]

Gotta leave room for both sides even if you don't agree with it and would like to wave it away with your own opinion. Its not fud. This is a cash strapped team that spent their summer circumventing the cap as the obvious top priority. This is a team that has lost star after star over money. This is a team that feigned intense optimism about signing the ufa's until they were dealt. This is a team that's signed one long term deal in 5 years. We saw offer sheets this summer, one targeting a team with shaky financials. The only fud is assuming its a done deal and giving them the benefit of the doubt from where I sit.

Last edited by a moderator:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
So we would rather trade Mark Stone because he is maybe 3 years "too old" and become the only team in NHL history to ice a fully homogeneous roster age-wise? Right

Reactions: Alex1234

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It depends...

If you're a GM and you honestly think your team will be picking 25th-32nd for the next few years, will two players in that range realistically be better than Chabot? I'm not counting the 2nd and 3rd rounders, as those kinds of picks can be obtained by trading secondary type players and/or contracts.

You likely won't get as good a player back but how often does a player get traded for two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd? That would be a decent return most of the time.

I'm not saying that means it would fine! Jist saying that if a player returned all those picks in a trade, most of the time, it would be viewed as a positive return.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Would you consider it a big step forward if they don't sign Chabot. IMO there is a better than good chance Chabot gets an offer sheet if he is left unsigned by next July. If only we could negotiate with him before July 1st. IMO its relevant to the thread talking about taking big steps forward with your team. You need to hang on to the young players that can propel you forward. Acquiring Zaitsev, Hainsey, Brown , Asinimov only plugs the leaky boat for so long. This team needs Chabot. He's our Matthews . The team needs to step up here to not trip on their first step forward.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Nothing would be better for this team than the young guys taking a big step forward in development while losing the vast majority of their games.

Hopefully we’re not as bad as the expansion Sens but still comfortably dead last.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

So you wouldn't sign an offer sheet that paid you $20+ million in the first 366 days, especially if made by a more well established, well run organization (which at this point is essentially any other team)?

Cmon, Variable. Let's get real here shall we.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The only thing that worries me really in regards to the goal of finishing dead last by a mile is Nilsson in nets, something about the guy gave me the impression he could rip a hot streak out of nowhere with not much help, a steady dose of Andy and our poor vets and we should have that top 4 pick locked up before Christmas!

Reactions: Alex1234 and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It depends...

And those first round picks could be late first rounders. We need top 5 picks to get a higher probability of getting a top flight or elite player.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

MONTREAL is a French Canadian team. Chabot is from QUEBEC, French- speaking, and a potential star player for many future years. There is obviously a high probability of MONTREAL making an offer to Chabot and him accepting, particularly if the Senators budget is a factor affecting the Senator’s offer to Chabot (total value, signing bonus, NTC, NMC, etc.). My view is that the Senators experience with signing their best players to large contracts is not good.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Would you consider it a big step forward if they don't sign Chabot. IMO there is a better than good chance Chabot gets an offer sheet if he is left unsigned by next July. If only we could negotiate with him before July 1st. IMO its relevant to the thread talking about taking big steps forward with your team. You need to hang on to the young players that can propel you forward. Acquiring Zaitsev, Hainsey, Brown , Asinimov only plugs the leaky boat for so long. This team needs Chabot. He's our Matthews . The team needs to step up here to not trip on their first step forward.

This team has been tripping for quite a while now: Zibanejad, Karlsson, Hoffman, Duchene, Stone.

The team has taken a big step alright, back to last place in the league. There are no major reasons to think a big step forward is going to occur with the changes and additions this team has made after the skill dump it went through recently.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad