News Article: Dorion: We’re going to take a big step forward this year

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Honestly, I'd consider this season a fair success if we manage to improve our dreadful goals against and penalty kill numbers. Show me a team that works hard defensively and I can forgive a lot of things. Whatever we've had to watch for the last couple of years has been incredibly discouraging and honestly it comes down to effort and commitment.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He’d be perfect to extend on a 4 year contract and be made captain. But he needs a new contract. He’s good as gone.

Agree to the first bit, I think an A and no captain for now would be best for the second part. See how things shake out.

And as for the third but, we shall see I guess.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Agree to the first bit, I think an A and no captain for now would be best for the second part. See how things shake out.

And as for the third but, we shall see I guess.
I think Pageau would make a great captain for the team. Well spoken, respected on the ice, and has a captain’s attitude. I bet the organization agrees, but he only has a year left on his contract.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think Pageau would make a great captain for the team. Well spoken, respected on the ice, and has a captain’s attitude. I bet the organization agrees, but he only has a year left on his contract.

Hey, I don’t disagree. I was more thinking that they should see how this brand new team and staff shake out before naming the leaders. I suspect that JPG will rise to the top in that regard, but there is no need to rush.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Wait, what year is it? Pager is solid and would have a roster spot on any team in this league.

True, and I’m a fan. Always have been. But there are fits on teams and Dorion’s Sens C depth chart is all about size and bringing that size into their game

Norris
Brown
Pinto

That’s a big combo to deal with for any team. Speedy D getting the puck to big Centers who can play down the middle seems to be what Ottawa is going for - Duchesne included as an example of play through the middle of the size and solid on your skates (isn’t as big as the prospects but he’s fit in perfectly), Tirris also fits in as a smaller C Dorion wasn't interested in investing $6 million/season in and Turris seems to have worn down quickly.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Norris or Brown / Chlapik make the team right out of camp do the Sens look to trade Tierney or Pageau?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If Norris or Brown / Chlapik make the team right out of camp do the Sens look to trade Tierney or Pageau?
I would entertain offers but would likely just shift one of the centers to the wing. I wouldnt bet a roster spot on a guy based on a few months in the nhl.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hey, I don’t disagree. I was more thinking that they should see how this brand new team and staff shake out before naming the leaders. I suspect that JPG will rise to the top in that regard, but there is no need to rush.

I don't think they will give JPG the "C" unless he resigns.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't think they will give JPG the "C" unless he resigns.
Agreed, it would be silly otherwise.

The sentiment seems to be to keep him, but realistically the odds are against him staying. If he has a good year, he'll price himself out of making sense for the team. If he has a bad year, I could see him staying short term, but just as likely to move on.

Personally, I hope for nothing long term with JGP. He's a fine player, but another secondary player. That'll mean we've already locked up Zaitsev, JGP & White long term before any core players. Gotta reserve that money and keep it flexible so they don't lock themselves in again with it all going to support players.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think Brown sees the money signs and a 50 point season followed by a 60-70 point year and he’s cashing in

6’6 230lbs... other then a defensive god like Bergeron or a monster like Barkov... he’ll have 4 inches and 20-30lbs on every center that matches up against him

Big centers are a rare commodity in the NHL
It’s why Kevin Hayes cashed in

Other then Byfield... there’s no young giant centers out there 22 or under

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I agree. Pager’s salary at $4-5 million on the 3-4th will start to add up. In two years White will be making $4.75 and depending on who we draft and how players develop could also be on the third line.

We just need to be careful to not overspend on the bottom of the roster. I’d rather those players be traded and recycled for picks/prospects. It will hurt watching cap teams squeeze these guys in while solidifying full rosters but that currently isn not out reality as a cap floor+ team.

Agreed, it would be silly otherwise.

The sentiment seems to be to keep him, but realistically the odds are against him staying. If he has a good year, he'll price himself out of making sense for the team. If he has a bad year, I could see him staying short term, but just as likely to move on.

Personally, I hope for nothing long term with JGP. He's a fine player, but another secondary player. That'll mean we've already locked up Zaitsev, JGP & White long term before any core players. Gotta reserve that money and keep it flexible so they don't lock themselves in again with it all going to support players.

Last edited:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I agree. Pager’s salary at $4-5 million on the 3-4th will start to add up. In two years White will be making $4.75 and depending on who we draft and how players develop could also be on the third line.

We just need to be careful to not overspend on the bottom of the roster. I’d rather those players be traded and recycled for picks/prospects. It will hurt watching cap teams squeeze these guys in while solidifying full rosters but that currently isn not out reality as a cap floor+ team.
We have a lot of cap to fill for the next year to bring the floor. I prefer keep Pageau than sign a ufa next year

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The max I go it s 4 x 4
That's reasonable. Its in the ballpark of what it will likely take. One year too long for me, but he'd be tradable unless he falls off a cliff, so not so bad.

If we do keep him, it allows them to use Tierney as a trade chip which I prefer.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Pageau is not worth anything above $4M. His play style coupled with his ruptured achilles leads me to believe he’ll wear out soon.

I’d rather keep Tierney who’s more versatile and younger.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You may be right. We might be bad enough to be at the bottom even with a bunch of excited kids playing gangbusters.

Either way, I do believe the result at the end of the season will be the same...last (or very close to it).

We are in agreement what will happen at the end of the season.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
The goal of this season is to finish dead last and hopefully win the lottery. If Dorion is insinuating that he's going to push this team to make the Playoffs as a 'bubble' team then he must be out of his damn mind. I'll fly from LA down to Kanata to get his ass out of town

Reactions: OUTHOUSE

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
After the last few years I'm not sure finishing last is the best thing. I feel like if they do it's just the luck of the organization that they won't get #1 or #2.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pageau is not worth anything above $4M. His play style coupled with his ruptured achilles leads me to believe he’ll wear out soon.

I’d rather keep Tierney who’s more versatile and younger.

I'd have to agree with this. Emotions for our homeboy aside, keeping Tierney (at a slightly lower price) is the smart move. Sucks though....the idea of moving a local kid who wants to wear our colours hurts.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
True, and I’m a fan. Always have been. But there are fits on teams and Dorion’s Sens C depth chart is all about size and bringing that size into their game

Norris
Brown
Pinto

That’s a big combo to deal with for any team. Speedy D getting the puck to big Centers who can play down the middle seems to be what Ottawa is going for - Duchesne included as an example of play through the middle of the size and solid on your skates (isn’t as big as the prospects but he’s fit in perfectly), Tirris also fits in as a smaller C Dorion wasn't interested in investing $6 million/season in and Turris seems to have worn down quickly.

Now add Paul as the 4th line centre & you may have the biggest centres in the league on one team. However, Pinto is probably three yrs away & could end up on RW & since they just signed White for quite a few yrs, I imagine they are keeping him at centre. Chlapik needs to have a big yr to stay relevant to the organization.

This would be my future lineup with the prospects we have, but hopefully they can add a few more very good prospects over the next few drafts to improve this lineup.

LW Centre RW

Tkachuk Brown Batherson
Formenton White Davidsson
Norris Chalpik Veronneau
Paul Pinto Kastelic

LD RD

Chabot JBD
Brannstrom Thomson
Wolanin Jaros/Lajoie

Hogberg - Gustavsson
Sogaard - Daccord

My guess would be that they trade Pageau at some point this yr since he is a UFA rather then try to re-sign him & trade Tierny the following yr when his contract runs out. Brown & Norris should be ready for the NHL over the course of the next yr or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->