OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
Oh and to clarify I wasn't cheating out on buying a Donair from one of edmontons esteemed array of Donair joints, I spend a lot of time up north where no donairs are available. I was sitting around jonsing for a Donair when I coiuldnt take it anymore - took matters in my own hands and ended up pleasantly surprised.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
I finally got around to trying Jimmy's A&A and boy was it good. Does anyone know where I can find a good Halifax style donair in Calgary?

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I tried Top Donair about a week ago (the one right beside Swiss.)

Didn't care for it at all. Although I did order it with Tzazicki sauce instead of their sweet sauce. But I've had other donairs with Tzaziki (in Westmount) and they were awesome.

Probably won't go there again.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Millwoods just got a newer place called Roma. I'm a regular there now, love the employees, and their donairs are pretty damn good too. Way better than the donair shop that was there before they bought it.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Just got a really sad looking donair from Maximo's downtown. There's about half as much meat as there should be. I go occasionally because it's a short walk but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Should of walked a block westward on Jasper to World's Finest Donair, it's pretty good.

Pickled turnip turned into my favorite pickled thing because of them.

Edit: Just realized the age of the thread.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Millwoods just got a newer place called Roma. I'm a regular there now, love the employees and their donairs are pretty damn good. Way better than the donair shop that was there before they bought it.

You shouldn't be revealing this on the Internet. Cannibalism is illegal.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Go to Chomps donair and order the "extreme" size donair. You won't be disappointed

Last edited:

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I tried Top Donair about a week ago (the one right beside Swiss.)

Didn't care for it at all. Although I did order it with Tzazicki sauce instead of their sweet sauce. But I've had other donairs with Tzaziki (in Westmount) and they were awesome.

Probably won't go there again.

Nikki's? Man, I love that place.

Tzatziki sauce is usually far superior to sweet sauce, in my opinion. I never really understood why someone would want liquid frosting on their donair when they could have delicious garlicky yogurt.

Nikki's makes their own and it's divine. I could drink it out of a cup.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Anyone know if Lynnwood donair is opening up in another location? Really miss their donairs, just nothing is the same, especially portion wise

mzadery

Jan 19, 2010
Jumbo donair just opened up south of the whitemud on 66 street. Its the old guys who used to own Home Styles and it is by far my new favourite place.

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Where/When?!?!

I frequent Swiss/Top/Eddie's. Swiss when it's open... top is always open ... but Swiss is my preference - i live in the north.

Just off 167 ave, in Hollick Kenyon Landing. Not sure when, but there sign is already up so it shouldn't be long.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Jumbo donair just opened up south of the whitemud on 66 street. Its the old guys who used to own Home Styles and it is by far my new favourite place.

I went there last night. Really good and definitely my new south side stop

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Nikki's? Man, I love that place.

Tzatziki sauce is usually far superior to sweet sauce, in my opinion. I never really understood why someone would want liquid frosting on their donair when they could have delicious garlicky yogurt.

Nikki's makes their own and it's divine. I could drink it out of a cup.

Yeah...Nikki's. Someone mentioned it on this thread earlier, and since I have a couple of buddies in the area, I thought I'd check it out myself.

I'm a bit of a Donair snob, and was pleasantly surprised at how good they are. Been there 5 or 6 times since.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Where/When?!?!

I frequent Swiss/Top/Eddie's. Swiss when it's open... top is always open ... but Swiss is my preference - i live in the north.

Go West at 127th and 137th and try Richard's Donair if you haven't already. I haven't eaten there in quite a while (moved by Swiss :yo:), so I don't know if they are still good.

Next time a donair place opens in the North end, I'lll just move there. :laugh: It's worth selling your house and purchasing a new one if there is a good donair shop nearby I've found. :D

EDIT: I've heard a lot about Prime Time here, never tried it. I'll definitely check out the Hollick Kenyon one when it opens.

For North siders, here are my donair places in the area rated best first:

Swiss
Richards (in the past anyways) - very close to how Swiss makes theirs
Eddies - not too bad
Top Donair - I'll try it again with the different sauce, but a fail for me with the Tzaziki. A bit too dry as well

Last edited:

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
Anyone got any recommendations for the north west edmonton?

Currently, I go to Sir Donair, but I like them not so much for the donair, but for the donair poutine.

Haven't really found another good donair place near there thats not too far away for me.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Swiss is my #1.moved to the south side eight years ago. Only get it if I visit cousins in the north now. Love dat sweet sauce...... Best drunk meal.

I'm hungry now....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad