OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Part one passed 1000.

Let the donair goodness continue here.

Been there many times. Olympus Donair I think? Very delicious.

I recommend you guys try High Voltage off whyte. They're really unique, and home cooked tasting. Definitely worth it IMO.

High Voltage has terrible donairs. But everything else is fantastic, love the grilled wraps.

And not to nitpick, but High Voltage is like 20 blocks from Whyte.

Not to cause trouble, but is there a specific reason why donairs are our official food? I mean, they're great and everything, but why donairs?

Queens donair is my favourite

We get drunk frequently and Donairs keep us sane?

Dunno haha

2nd last post

end of an era

I have ran around Edmonton for good donairs and have made many mistakes. Now I just go to Donair Stop by Capilano. They used to be at 50 st and 101 ave before Rexall was put up. There is another donair place there now and the guy keeps claiming it is part of Donair Stop. Anyways Donair Stop is the best place IMO. The owner was telling me that you can buy two types of the donair meat. One has more bread filler and less meat and hence is cheaper. He says most places buy this type as it turns to more profit. I enjoy the chicken/donair combination with zeki sauce.

I have had a donair at Charles Smart and it wasn't that good. They didn't have very much in the way of additions to your donair. It was pretty plain jane. Glad they are gonzo.

here is the location etc

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/1469132/restaurant/Capilano/Donair-Stop-Edmonton

I personally like Simon Kings.

I grew up on Donair Stop, everytime I went to an Oilers game me and the old man would stop there for one on the way. But the new local has really gone downhill. It's filthy everytime I've gone to the new location in recent years, plenty food safety violations too.
I prefer Top Donair, the one that took its place. I don't typically like donair pizza but they actually make a reality good one too.

Prime Time opened a new location on 17st in the south side. Their donair poutines are too die for.

Any other good donair pizza out there? I had one for the first time at Pizza Unlimited and my god... most delicious pizza ever.

Ok this has passed 1000, so it needs to be closed. So please vote quick. Should the donair thread get a part 2? Or should that talk be in the restaurant thread?

Donairs are an HFOil institution! This thread, and the savoury goodness it represents, has gotten us through many a melancholy night of Horcoffian whiffs and Hemskian offsides. For reference, the Oilers' first line centre was in middle school when the OP sought to educate us mortals on sweet sauce and mystery meat. Kill it, and you kill the spirit of this forum.

Sounds good.

Ganz

Dibs
Nov 4, 2005
Upton
How I feel about donairs:

shut-up-and-take-my-money2.jpg

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Hey S7ark...would it be possible to get a poll going with relation to all the good donair places in the last thread?

For me and the North end:

Swiss
Richards
Road Runner

Haven't really tried any other places in the city.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
whats with Edmontonians and their donairs? I had a pretty good one in calgary once, close to a sex store..cant remember the name of the street but we were headin back from banff..its more towards the west side of calgary and I think the chef was from some mid-eastern country, or India..not sure but it was great great food..

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I move to change the official food of HFOil to a garden salad. This board is gonna be a lot quieter when you all die of heart disease in the next few years.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
I move to change the official food of HFOil to a garden salad. This board is gonna be a lot quieter when you all die of heart disease in the next few years.
nah just run a few miles several times a week, hit the gym do some cardio lift some weight attack a donair

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I stand by my assertion that swiss donair is the best in the city. Had one today for the first time in a while too.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I stand by my assertion that swiss donair is the best in the city. Had one today for the first time in a while too.

Swiss Donair has my vote, too. There's a Donair place a few blocks from where I live in Beaumont (and about 25 between here and Swiss Donair).....but I'd rather make the hour drive to Swiss to get theirs, and bring it back home than go the one here. Not because it's horrible. But just cause Swiss is awesome.

Hunt4Oil

Sep 4, 2007
London On
I miss PrimeTime Donairs but I don't miss the calories and fat. I haven't seen a donair place since I moved to Ont but that's probably a good thing because it's an easy addicition.

Hunt4Oil

Sep 4, 2007
London On
So now I'm sitting here at 8am craving a donair so I googled London donairs and there are a few shops around. Where am I going today......yep. Damn you donair thread........

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
The guy that owns Top Donair used to work for the guy that owns Donair Stop and is currently trying to sell it. There is another donair place on 50 street near Kings College at the strip mall with the 7 -11. I agree Donair Stop could use a bit of sprucing up, but I am not there for the ambiance just the food. I don't think when he was at the Rexall location it was much cleaner. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad