OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Swiss, Primetime are pretty stellar still in my opinion.

Anyone tried Simply Donairs on 50st and Capilano? I think it's amongst the best I've had. I think they might have a St. Albert location as well.
Top donair on 50th and 101st is the best in that area and amongst my favs. It's the same guy who owned the original donair stop in that location years back before it went downhill. Donair stop still exists on ottewell road and 98th ave but it sucks now. Top donair is really good check it out. Tucked in behind the A & W and Rexall.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Top donair on 50th and 101st is the best in that area and amongst my favs. It's the same guy who owned the original donair stop in that location years back before it went downhill. Donair stop still exists on ottewell road and 98th ave but it sucks now. Top donair is really good check it out. Tucked in behind the A & W and Rexall.

Cheers, will do. Dinnertime is getting close..

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Why is Donair the official food? Was there a vote? I hate Donairs. I'd rather drink a cup of raw sewage.

Because a Donair is a very special type of food. Properly seasoned beef (and lamb/beef for some). Fresh Pita bread gently steamed to perfection. Fresh crunchy onions, lettuce and tomatoes......all smothered in a vast variety of delicious sauce's, from peppery hot to as sweet as a fragrant flower blossoming in the Spring time as birds sing and dance amongst the newly formed leaves.

Every donair shop is different in it's own way, from real bad to real good.

THAT.....is why the donair is the official food.

I hope that answered your question.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Because a Donair is a very special type of food. Properly seasoned beef (and lamb/beef for some). Fresh Pita bread gently steamed to perfection. Fresh crunchy onions, lettuce and tomatoes......all smothered in a vast variety of delicious sauce's, from peppery hot to as sweet as a fragrant flower blossoming in the Spring time as birds sing and dance amongst the newly formed leaves.

:handclap:

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003

Legend has it that our sacred TOPPEP RocketHorse was just a regular horse until a flying cow visited him in a dream and told him about the donair... Back then it wasn't donair, it was the donair...

I always get goosebumps telling that story.

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
As an East coast Oilers fan, I have to get in on this. Growing up in Newfoundland, we had a great donair place open up in a nearby small town. At the time there were not even any good local pizza joints (luckily they sold pizza too).

The donairs were massive. The large was under $10 (this was quite some time ago), and it was a challenge to eat the whole thing. A challenge no one was able to defeat. We ended up weighing one once and it came in at over 5 pounds...

They had the sweet sauce for them that seems very localized to the East coast; Halifax has very similar donairs.

I still have not been able to find anything in my current city that matches it. Although Ottawa is the shwarma capital, it is not quite the same. And even when I do find a good donair I never get the right kind of sauce, even if it is listed as sweet.

This thread makes me want to visit EDM for a reason other than seeing the Oilers play. :)

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F03%2F03%2Fku-xlarge.gif

and I guess I'm off to Jimmy's A&A

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004
donair poutine from swiss might be my new favorite thing on the planet.

god I miss living across the street from that place

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
I'm currently at Aspen Pizza and Donair! Is this place good? First time here, waiting for food now.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
As an East coast Oilers fan, I have to get in on this. Growing up in Newfoundland, we had a great donair place open up in a nearby small town. At the time there were not even any good local pizza joints (luckily they sold pizza too).

The donairs were massive. The large was under $10 (this was quite some time ago), and it was a challenge to eat the whole thing. A challenge no one was able to defeat. We ended up weighing one once and it came in at over 5 pounds...

They had the sweet sauce for them that seems very localized to the East coast; Halifax has very similar donairs.

I still have not been able to find anything in my current city that matches it. Although Ottawa is the shwarma capital, it is not quite the same. And even when I do find a good donair I never get the right kind of sauce, even if it is listed as sweet.

This thread makes me want to visit EDM for a reason other than seeing the Oilers play. :)

I spent a couple years living in New Brunswick and I was shocked and saddened by the quality of donair I got there. I hit every donair spot in Fredericton and probably a half dozen in Nova Scotia and while I found a couple acceptable ones, most of them were incredibly liquid & greasy, overspiced, and slathered in what was basically frosting.

Edmonton FTW.

(Oddly enough, the best donair I've ever had outside of Edmonton was in Taipei, for some reason).

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
For any YVR fans, Donair Dude downtown. Either on Granville or Davie. Just a warning that they grill the donair in one of those sandwich presses, though I'm sure they wouldn't if you prefer not. But the crunchy pita has won me over.

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Using the term donair in Edmonton should be outlawed.

The meat sucks, and the sauce' dont get me started on the 'sweet sauce'.

Time to move back to Halifax.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
Drooling and now my stomach is growling and why oh why is Maina's Donair (Beaumont) closed on sundays?? Dog gammit!

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
It appears Top Donair is getting serious about giving Swiss a run for its money, Renovating to include both spaces in the mini mall. I went there last week and it was still closed for work. The owner came out and talked to me, said business was higher than expected. Anyway, I went over to Swiss for a super, and don't get me wrong it was decent, but just not up there with Top, Primetime, Queen or High Voltage. Bland and a little soggy, poor balance of veggies and meat. I really don't get the love for Swiss Donair, especially going back after snacking on the others.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Had Richard's on the weekend, absolutely fantastic. Probably the best donair I've had in the city. Got it with garlic sauce as I can't stand sweet sauce.

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
I spent a couple years living in New Brunswick and I was shocked and saddened by the quality of donair I got there. I hit every donair spot in Fredericton and probably a half dozen in Nova Scotia and while I found a couple acceptable ones, most of them were incredibly liquid & greasy, overspiced, and slathered in what was basically frosting.

Edmonton FTW.

(Oddly enough, the best donair I've ever had outside of Edmonton was in Taipei, for some reason).

Using the term donair in Edmonton should be outlawed.

The meat sucks, and the sauce' dont get me started on the 'sweet sauce'.

Time to move back to Halifax.

So it seems the EDM donair is not akin to the Halifax donair. Oh well, can't have it all. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad