OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
Has anyone tried More Subs and Donairs on 170th? Its my favorite place on the west end I think. Not very greasy and lots of veggies. Im looking forward to trying more though.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Any one try the new donair place on whyte? in the building that Funky Pickle use to be in. I can't remember what is called.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Gonna try out Jimmys for the first time this afternoon.

Will post the delicious results.

edit:

Just finished my beef donair from Jimmys. It was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I ordered the regular with banana peppers. I still think My Donair on 16th ave NW is superior.
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow :D

northern2020

Nov 23, 2003
Buddy in Riverbend in the strip mall behind Riverbend Athletic Club named "Olympus Donair" is my current go to. Crazy "jumbo" portion and lots of other home made treats.

He sells pre-vacuum packed Donair meat frozen for homemade treats

Pair this bad boy with a Hop Manna IPA from Hebrew Brew Co

northern2020

Nov 23, 2003
Simon King is also my top dog couple that with a newly imported to Alberta did the first time ever "Fat Tug" IPA from Victoria's Driftwood Brew co.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
Which donair is the biggest in Edmonton? Im more of a quantity man versus taste. I like em large

Fat Boys was pretty big I thought any bigger ones?

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
For all the Calgary donair lovers:

Just tried a donair from Aladdin Pizza and Donair in Kensington.

Was pretty freaking delicious. Got it with garlic sauce, hummus, lettuce, tomato, banana peppers and donair sauce.

It wasn't cheap, the large cost about 11 bucks but you really get a good bang for your buck. Would definitely go back. My only complaint is that it was ready too fast. The guy didn't re sizzle the beef or anything, I literally picked my toppings, paid and it was ready in about a minute. They also have a donair poutine I'm pretty eager to try.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Gonna try out Jimmys for the first time this afternoon.

Will post the delicious results.

edit:

Just finished my beef donair from Jimmys. It was pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I ordered the regular with banana peppers. I still think My Donair on 16th ave NW is superior.

If you're ever feeling adventurous enough to go back, try the combo. It's great. Was Jimmy there when you went? Really nice guy, I swear he's probably like 50 different people's best friend.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
If you're ever feeling adventurous enough to go back, try the combo. It's great. Was Jimmy there when you went? Really nice guy, I swear he's probably like 50 different people's best friend.

What combo? I'll have to go back sometime and give it another shot.

Nah he wasn't there. There was a younger girl with short hair who took my order, a few people working the line and then a really nice east Indian lady at the till.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Has science gone too far?
UnsightlyFalseAztecant.gif

(dibs on Robodonair Inc.)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think Primetime Hollick Kenyon location is gonna open soon. Drove by the area today and saw a bunch of lights and stuff.

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
In order and rank:

1. High voltage - not a classical Donair but the game is elevated there, outstanding. The Donair nazi. The man who lets fireman ahead of you to get donairs for free. I will put up with all the ******** just to get an East Coaster down my throat. Breathtaking

2. Top Donair - the new kid on the block is taking it to the old standbys like Primetime and Swiss. A superior Donair in taste, sauce and fresh ingredients. Spectacular

3. Queen Donair (50th or whyte) - quality issues in the meat as they tend to burn it if it's not busy, however if lightning strikes and it's busy then you got yourself a winner. Feeling lucky punk?

4. Swiss Donair. Sensationalized and the 'it' place to be, the sizzle is greater than the steak. Meat has a slight burn taste all the time, few fresh ingredients, and the sauce is average at best. I will admit they are rolled the tightest.

5. Primetime Donair. Listen I like a fancy Donair as much as the next guy but everytime I've ordered a 'prime time special' Donair the sum is not equal to its parts. Frying Donair meat in bbq sauce is bad, very bad. Consistently loosely rolled, meat/veggie/sauce balance is way off most of the time. I really don't get the hype.

In memorandum: I'd like to tip my hat to a fallen soldier in Charles Smart Donair. The younger generation will never know the pleasure of a Chuck Smart Donair, along with playing a table video game and seeing the largest Donair meat chuck ever created, I've always been surprised Guinness still doesn't recognize the largest Donair spick known to man.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I dunno if anyones said it yet but I give 2 thumbs up to simply donair off 50th street. One of the best don airs I've ever had.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Donairs out west suck . Unless you have a Donair from the Halifax area you have no ideal what you are missing .

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Went to Columbous Donair on Whyte. It was solid, a good drunk donair. I think Kabsa, Mike's Famous and Queen still have it beat though. Still good choices for that 2 am walk (or stumble) home from Whyte.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Richard's on the north side is the best I've had, hands down. Absolutely fantastic, just wish it wasn't so far away.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Which donair is the biggest in Edmonton? Im more of a quantity man versus taste. I like em large

Fat Boys was pretty big I thought any bigger ones?

Always used to order everyones largest, and Richards on wye road in the park was the biggest I ever had I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00