OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Just got a really sad looking donair from Maximo's downtown. There's about half as much meat as there should be. I go occasionally because it's a short walk but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
Everyone has "their" favorite donair place so I'm not trying to convince anyone, but I've been going to Lynwood donair on 149st for over 10 years. Same owners, unreal portions. The meat is grilled after he slices it off and best sweet sauce I've ever tasted. The jumbo is literally the size of a small baby. If you're in the area they're worth a try.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Everyone has "their" favorite donair place so I'm not trying to convince anyone, but I've been going to Lynwood donair on 149st for over 10 years. Same owners, unreal portions. The meat is grilled after he slices it off and best sweet sauce I've ever tasted. The jumbo is literally the size of a small baby. If you're in the area they're worth a try.

Yes and yes. Dude is amazing.
Used to live in Meadowlark and recently moved to Blue Quill area. Donair selection over here is terrible (although there is a new joint opening up in the Blue Quill strip mall - patiently waiting) anyways I still drive over to Lynwood and recently treated a few coworkers to his masterpiece for lunch.

Between Lynwood and Simon King (had on Friday and my wife said worst she's ever had - divorce papers are coming) they are my favs!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Prime Time donair sent me to the ER. I've always ate regular donators my whole life and decided to try a jumbo donair. Later that night I had extreme pain in my lower right abdomen. It was so bad I could hardly walk and was hunched over. I toughed it out for 2 nights but it wasn't getting any better so I went to the doctor and he thought it was my appendix. I then got sent to the ER and they did some X-rays. It ended up being a bunch of donair meat stuck in my intestines. Doctor gave me a special drink and in 12 hours all that donair meat went to a better place. Now I only eat regular donairs....

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Cleopatra's Cafe in Red Deer (12-7110 50 Ave in a strip mall off Gaetz.)

I usually get a jumbo loaded with a order of deep fried pickles. Honestly the best donair I have ever had. Takes a while to get but good things are worth the wait.

Has one horrible review on yelp but tripadvisor has a lot of praise.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Prime Time donair sent me to the ER. I've always ate regular donators my whole life and decided to try a jumbo donair. Later that night I had extreme pain in my lower right abdomen. It was so bad I could hardly walk and was hunched over. I toughed it out for 2 nights but it wasn't getting any better so I went to the doctor and he thought it was my appendix. I then got sent to the ER and they did some X-rays. It ended up being a bunch of donair meat stuck in my intestines. Doctor gave me a special drink and in 12 hours all that donair meat went to a better place. Now I only eat regular donairs....

At first I was like :amazed: and then I lol'd very hard at the bolded I'm sorry. Good to hear you're fine now though. Scary stuff.

Kevotron

Jan 24, 2008
Edmonton
Anybody know of a Donair place near South Terwillegar ?
not feeling down to drive all the way to Millwoods for one :(

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's alright, I found it funny also. All that pain when all I had to really do was go to the washroom.

In all seriousness that sounds a lot like a blocked illeocecal valve.

Spicy foods can cause this type of thing and once that valve becomes irritated it can easily happen again.

Take it for what its worth but I have dealt with this in some my clients and I would be mindful of what you eat if I were you. Not just the quantity but the type of food as well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just tried simon king and thought it was average. Not even close to the best on the south side.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
I had Queen Donair when i visited Edmonton earlier this month. It was my first donair so I have nothing to compare it to, i liked it though:)

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
World's Finest Donair on Jasper I've really liked for a long time. Pickled turnip is ****ing amazing. Probably the best condiment for a donair that I've had. I also like their chicken shawarma.

Really good tzatziki and garlic sauces. Hard to find a good garlic imo. Can't stand sweet sauce.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
World's Finest Donair on Jasper I've really liked for a long time. Pickled turnip is ****ing amazing. Probably the best condiment for a donair that I've had. I also like their chicken shawarma.

Really good tzatziki and garlic sauces. Hard to find a good garlic imo. Can't stand sweet sauce.

I used to go to Worlds Finest a few years ago when I worked downtown. Glad to hear they're still doing good work.

keoki

Nov 18, 2014
If donair poutines are your thing, check out UFO pizza in the northside. Just off of 167 Ave and 52 Street. I've tried the donair poutine at Swiss and it was weak. Lots of fries and little meat. At UFO the fries and meat are layered nicely and they finish it off by baking it in the oven so the cheese is melted over. I'll have to check out Top Donair.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
This thread hasn't been touched in a while...

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has tried to make homemade donairs? In that vein, I was wondering where we could buy cooked donair loaves in bulk? I see one big distributor but they sell huge amounts (obviously I love donairs but one loaf would suffice).

Any ideas fellas?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has tried to make homemade donairs? In that vein, I was wondering where we could buy cooked donair loaves in bulk? I see one big distributor but they sell huge amounts (obviously I love donairs but one loaf would suffice).

Any ideas fellas?

you can buy donair meat from some of the groceries stories in Castledowns (little Beirut). El Safadi's might have some. I have bought donair meat and the sweet donair sauce from Richard's Donair(also in Castledowns) before and made my own (sort of).

But, wulla, Swiss Donair is the best.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Any ideas fellas?

That Middle Eastern grocery store across from Rosslyn sells Donair meet

Pourinthecoal

Jul 13, 2009
I've made a homer Donair before. Found a few recipes online and winged it - not bad actually. Basically you buy a lb of ground beef and take a beater to it so its ground and beat finer (double ground beef works too). Combine the spices (paprika and oregano are the main ones for Donair taste) and pack in a bread loaf pan, cook in the oven and shave off your pieces. Sweet sauce is easy - can of condensed milk, icing sugar, vinegar, and a little garlic powder. Although not lamb the meat tasted great. The sauce was akin to a typical second rate Donair and pizza place - not the best you've tasted but definitely has the taste. A guy would have to mess around with a few more recipes to get it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad