OT: Donairs: The official food of the HF Oilers board :Part 2

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I am still annoyed the best Kabob shop here in London closed down. Was at Victoria Station--but due to the renovation they moved to Brixton

I don't know if it's still there but have you tried Ranoush Juice? It's on Edgware Road just up from Kendal Street. Great food.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Apparently my stomach has decided it can longer digest regular donair, but if I need a fix the donair pizza at Nitza's Pizza is pretty great!

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Primetime makes a very solid donair (admittedly I've never cared to try their 'Primetime' flavours) but their donair poutine is out of this world.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
My brother posts on here regularly opened up a donair shop Giants Pizza and Donair on 14916 45 Avenue. I had a classic donair and it was great. Great sweet sauce bro. Not saying its great because hes my little brother but because it was great and want my fellow Oilers fans to get some good food. Gotta drown our sorrows and get some good doniars while doing so.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
My brother posts on here regularly opened up a donair shop Giants Pizza and Donair on 14916 45 Avenue. I had a classic donair and it was great. Great sweet sauce bro. Not saying its great because hes my little brother but because it was great and want my fellow Oilers fans to get some good food. Gotta drown our sorrows and get some good doniars while doing so.

Haven't been there yet (I live way far north, but i'll have to venture there soon), but yeah, he's one of our regular posters here on the boards. I can vouch he's a great guy, and we should send some HF love his way.

Planisphaerium

Jan 27, 2011
Donair Stop just off 98th ave at Ottewell road has been my go to for a couple years now. Very large portions and great taste. Highly recommended.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
In order and rank:

1. High voltage - not a classical Donair but the game is elevated there, outstanding. The Donair nazi. The man who lets fireman ahead of you to get donairs for free. I will put up with all the ******** just to get an East Coaster down my throat. Breathtaking

2. Top Donair - the new kid on the block is taking it to the old standbys like Primetime and Swiss. A superior Donair in taste, sauce and fresh ingredients. Spectacular

3. Queen Donair (50th or whyte) - quality issues in the meat as they tend to burn it if it's not busy, however if lightning strikes and it's busy then you got yourself a winner. Feeling lucky punk?

4. Swiss Donair. Sensationalized and the 'it' place to be, the sizzle is greater than the steak. Meat has a slight burn taste all the time, few fresh ingredients, and the sauce is average at best. I will admit they are rolled the tightest.

5. Primetime Donair. Listen I like a fancy Donair as much as the next guy but everytime I've ordered a 'prime time special' Donair the sum is not equal to its parts. Frying Donair meat in bbq sauce is bad, very bad. Consistently loosely rolled, meat/veggie/sauce balance is way off most of the time. I really don't get the hype.

In memorandum: I'd like to tip my hat to a fallen soldier in Charles Smart Donair. The younger generation will never know the pleasure of a Chuck Smart Donair, along with playing a table video game and seeing the largest Donair meat chuck ever created, I've always been surprised Guinness still doesn't recognize the largest Donair spick known to man.

Have you tried Marcos by Grant MacEwan? It's my favorite spot, beating out Swiss as my old favorite. I prefer it over Primetime as well.

I'm unfortunately in the group of people who never got to try Charles Smart Donairs... A sad, sad thing, from what I hear...

Was talking to someone about Donairs today, made me want to dig up the thread haha.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
I have been really enjoying Sir Donair on 118ave and 142st lately.
Lynwood used to be my go to, but since they closed down I really have been enjoying Sir (based on my work location)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Have you tried Marcos by Grant MacEwan? It's my favorite spot, beating out Swiss as my old favorite. I prefer it over Primetime as well.

Marco's by Grant Mac is pretty good. Their burgers are decent too.

In that area Maximo's on 117th and Jasper is also pretty solid.

Oct 15, 2008

I'm unfortunately in the group of people who never got to try Charles Smart Donairs... A sad, sad thing, from what I hear...

Was talking to someone about Donairs today, made me want to dig up the thread haha.

Marcos downtown is pretty good. Can't believe the fellow/gal you quoted didn't include Simon King. If you want something comparable to Charles Smart, go to Simon King, you won't regret it.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Marco's is awesome. Love their donairs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3