Management Don Sweeney VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Great talent yes, but that's a lot of getting scored against for someone who put up that many points. So the concern is if he can't still produce points at that level, those numbers will get worse. I hope DS has some inside info.

upload_2018-6-12_12-14-17.png

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'd rather they just go with the kids (Bjork/Donato/Debrusk/Heinen) as the wingers for the 2nd and 3rd lines next year.

I'd be blown away if Kovalchuk scores 30 goals next year for any team he signs with.

30 goals is a lot nowadays. He might get it if he signs for some weak team (which he likely wont') where he'll play on the 1st line with their best players and is option 1-A on the PP like OV in Washington, blasting one-timers all night.

But in a supporting role for a contending team, I can't see him cracking 30. Your likely looking at the same 20 goals you'd get outta Nash, minus the solid two-way game Rick Nash does bring.

If Koval can do 30 or close, he's worth signing. If he really can't get near that level any more, it would be waste of money. If the Bruins feel he tops out at 20 or thereabouts, I am with you- go with the kids. A full season and Bjork or Donato might get close or pass 20.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'm not really interested but the one benefit, I guess, is that gives you flexibility to trade one of your young wings (Heinen) for a top 10 pick.

Apparently, they are trying to get Vancouver's 7th overall pick.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I'm not really interested but the one benefit, I guess, is that gives you flexibility to trade one of your young wings (Heinen) for a top 10 pick.

Just too bad the source is a hack.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
If the term is equal on Nash or Kovalchuk (so say 2 years) give me Nash.

At least we know he can still play in the NHL.

The truth is, no one truly knows if Kovalchuk can produce at the NHL level anymore. It still looks like he has an elite shot, but will he get a chance to use it at even strength.

If they decided to put him on right wing with Marchand and Bergeron, he wouldn't need to do much to be able to use his shot. If he played on the 2nd or 3rd line, I agree. However, I don't think the Bruins sign Nash or Kovalchuk so I'm not concerned.

Great talent yes, but that's a lot of getting scored against for someone who put up that many points. So the concern is if he can't still produce points at that level, those numbers will get worse. I hope DS has some inside info.

View attachment 124805

Not defending Kovalchuk here but is it really fair to post plus minus numbers from a player on the Thrashers? When he had a decent team around him, his plus minus was fine. Same with Marc Savard.

Reactions: PatriceBergy

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
If they decided to put him on right wing with Marchand and Bergeron, he wouldn't need to do much to be able to use his shot. If he played on the 2nd or 3rd line, I agree. However, I don't think the Bruins sign Nash or Kovalchuk so I'm not concerned.

Not defending Kovalchuk here but is it really fair to post plus minus numbers from a player on the Thrashers? When he had a decent team around him, his plus minus was fine. Same with Marc Savard.

Again, I agree he is an elite talent. Also, I don't place too much emphasis on +/-, but I think its fair (and for a GM necessary) to consider the two way play of an aging player, years removed from the NHL, especially when that +/- was poor (even with NJ) during 10 of his 11 seasons.

Maybe he will change and be another skilled, motivated, two way Russian force like Ovechkin was this year, who knows. But history has shown he's more of a one dimensional player, useful for a team that is missing that dimension.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
useful for a team that is missing that dimension.

Based on our inability to get secondary scoring once the Bergeron line was clamped down on against Tampa, I say we are missing that dimension. Think of the chances Rick Nash had with Krejci centering him. I'd bet Kovalchuk buries at least half of them.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Again, I agree he is an elite talent. Also, I don't place too much emphasis on +/-, but I think its fair (and for a GM necessary) to consider the two way play of an aging player, years removed from the NHL, especially when that +/- was poor (even with NJ) during 10 of his 11 seasons.

Maybe he will change and be another skilled, motivated, two way Russian force like Ovechkin was this year, who knows. But history has shown he's more of a one dimensional player, useful for a team that is missing that dimension.

Are the Bruins not a team missing that dimension? If our defense continues to improve, and you put Kovalchuk with Marchand and Bergeron, I don't think his style would be a problem. I'm playing devils advocate because I don't think he's a need for the Bruins but it's one of those things where I'd love to see him in a Bruins sweater for a year.

Reactions: missingchicklet

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

It's not really fair to ever use plus minus when evaluating a player. It's a terrible and misleading stat built upon too many things outside a player's control like usage/deployment, quality of goaltending, etc.

This is not a defense of Kovalchuck, just a defense of using modern tools for player assessment.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Just too bad the source is a hack.
True.

TSN has Vancouver's 7th overall pick as number 7 on their trade board.
https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-canucks-top-pick-on-the-table-1.1110224

With Sweeney's stated desire to trade into the 1st round and a pick being available, I think it pretty safe to assume he inquired even if you are a hack who did not verify that.

My guess is they want a roster player + prospect or 2. It would probably require Heinen (16 goal, 47 pt rookie) + JFK/Studnicka + Zboril/Lauzon/Grzelcyk.

Whoever you are picking at 7 better be damn good to be worth 3 of those players.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Way to go, Murph, with that scoop. Try not to go out on a limb with your predictions.:naughty:

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

When was that?

He only had one season as a plus player.

Hossa had 2 seasons with +17 & +18 in Atlanta while Kovy was still pulling minuses.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's not really fair to ever use plus minus when evaluating a player. It's a terrible and misleading stat built upon too many things outside a player's control like usage/deployment, quality of goaltending, etc.

This is not a defense of Kovalchuck, just a defense of using modern tools for player assessment.

Disagree. Both players and coaches still talk about it as a tool to gauge their play.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Disagree. Both players and coaches still talk about it as a tool to gauge their play.

Because it gets used in contract negotiations I think. Sure, in some cases it does say something meaningful, but using it about Kovalchuk when he was with one of the worst teams in the league for years, and then on a bleh NJ team (this wasn't the cup-winning Devils) I think doesn't tell us much.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

I think it has some validity in a big-picture analysis, but has too many nuances for wrangling over little differences.

Like if you're looking at two guys and one is +20 and the other is -34, yeah, that should definitely tell you something right away about their defensive game . But say you're looking at a guy who is -2 on the Coyotes and a guy who is +4 on the Penguins. There's too much at play there to make it the primary category you look to to gauge someone's worth. In those cases, other advanced stats like Corsi and Fenwick go further (though aren't perfect either).

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Just dropped in to say that, not a fan of the current decisions being made. Sweeney did an okay job stocking up at the McDavid draft. Some real questionable decisions, like not picking up Barzal. Also I'm not liking how the Zboril development is going. I don't think he got a fair chance at camp last year.

About those trade deadlines.

The general rule should be this: you deal away at the deadline pieces of your club that are not going to fit. You do not deal away your future. You do not mortgage a club's future for a 1 in 16 chance of a Stanley Cup. It just doesn't work most of the time.

I would rather be in the tournament, year after year, with a healthy club then get a chance at a good year followed by a step back. I feel that Sweeney is acting with some desperation as the core gets into their middle 30s. And I think we all need to come to grips with the fact that some of these guys are not going to be retiring as a Boston Bruin. Not because we don't like them, not because they suck, but for the sake of the health of the club.

You cannot have a top-heavy 35+ club. And your choices are, you either shed a few tears now by saying goodbye and get a couple first rounders that will help replenish what was lost, or you go through some dark times like pretty much all of 2000.

Yes, I realize that some people just cannot let go of a guy like Bergeron, although trading him would ensure the health of our club for well over a decade. So looking at another guy, like a Krejci, might be the right person if you could possibly unload that contract. And I might even eat some of those dollars if it turned into a viable replacement for the future. Bergeron could retire a Boston Bruin, and we could be inundated with flashbacks and 2011 replays until they hang up his jersey.

The NTC arrangement has to stop. Core only. That means five or six guys only. Third and fourth line, heck no! Nobody in the bottom six should have a NTC.

There needs to be some organizational development in the coaching department. I'm on board with Cassidy, although I started to see some Julien-esque favoritism towards the end of the year with the veterans. I want to see some dedicated skating coaches become part of the development and training camps. And by that, I mean on the bench or on the ninth level. I see a lot of veterans and players who think they are coaches now, but there are a lot of great athletes out there where we need help the most, and that is skating.

Also, we need to do something about losing in the shootout. Whether that's a shootout training regimen or bringing in a fourth liner that has a good shot, need to do something.

Nobody is more excited than I to see Riley Nash/Schaller/Kuraly go somewhere else.

And there are my GM updates prior to the draft. I will probably stop in after the draft to give my analysis of our picks. I hope you enjoyed the Stanley Cup tournament, I know I did despite being upset about our GM not knowing how to manage the trade deadline.

Reactions: Mpasta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad