Management Don Sweeney V: What do the Bruins do in (what could be) the craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Well , there is more than one way to skin a cat. If the moves he would make with the 'Nucks enable him to strengthen the team in some other way I'm all for it.

OEL does not come without risk and assets leaving. I just don't see any team taking him on unless there is retention or the 'Yotes take back contracts, none of which I see happening. I think OEL stays in Arizona .

And what if it's all about "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?"
Its smacks of "we're the smartest guys in the room, league, world" and we know what's best" (for Jacobs bottom line).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Wouldn't you love to have Torts as a GM for a day, just to do the media availablity? You'd get exactly that haha it would be glorious!

yup. Because if you asked something that is in the works, he would probably "snap" or make someone in the media uncomfortable

Can't see him state, "he is an important part of the team" .... and then trade that player the next day though

He looks like a straight shooter for better or worse

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
His very first year he was the single most active GM in the trade market. He has been a very active GM most years and that is despite have a firmly established core. So, while you may not like his moves, he isn't an inactive GM.

No he isn't, he has just not done a great job at getting what the team needs in terms of important players. He is great at signing 3rd pair d-men and bottom six guys and some of them have been pretty good and useful players. He does well with college FA's and other AHL players that might turn out to be good.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No he isn't, he has just not done a great job at getting what the team needs in terms of important players. He is great at signing 3rd pair d-men and bottom six guys and some of them have been pretty good and useful players. He does well with college FA's and other AHL players that might turn out to be good.

His very first year he was the single most active GM in the trade market. He has been a very active GM most years and that is despite have a firmly established core. So, while you may not like his moves, he isn't an inactive GM.

yes...but more moves have been bad then good

Good
- Lucic, Hamilton returns
- Some draft picks
- Coyle
- Mojo

Bad
- 2015 draft
- draft picks like Vaaka, Frederic currently considered 3rd pairing and bottom 6 forward. With 1st round picks
- Beleskey
- Backes
- Hayes trade
- Kase
- Nick Ritchie
- John Moore signing
- liles

No legit top 6 forward to to pair along Krejci (make 2nd line whole) for 5 years now

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Honestly just trade for Halls rights

See what he wants
Know your draft day actions better
Know your UFA day better

Do not just sit and wait

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
And what if it's all about "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?"
Its smacks of "we're the smartest guys in the room, league, world" and we know what's best" (for Jacobs bottom line).

Well that doesn't strengthen the team does it? There is no way the team that we had last year get's it done. People got fooled as to where we were with this team because they had a very easy path to the SCF in 2019. Those kind of chances don't come up very often. Rearranging the deck chairs is not gonna get it done. These are very particular times and things are being dealt with in very uncertain ways, we'll see what that means soon enough. I'm hoping they seize the opportunity and inject some new talent into this club but I would understand if they didn't. Just don't bring back Krug, that's all I ask.

Reactions: Gordoff

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Good
- Some draft picks
- Coyle
- Mojo

Bad
- 2015 draft
- draft picks like Vaaka, Frederic currently considered 3rd pairing and bottom 6 forward. With 1st round picks
- Beleskey
- Backes
- Hayes trade
- Kase
- Nick Ritchie
- John Moore signing
- liles

No legit top 6 forward to to pair along Krejci (make 2nd line whole) for 5 years now

I think this is a disingenuous list that ignores good minor signings he made while highlighting minor blips and also ignores the premium players he’s retained at WAY below market value

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Bruins have done really well under Sweeney as it relates to the regular season. The past three seasons the Bs have finished 4th, 3rd, and 1st in the NHL. The problem is that the Bs in the playoffs under Sweeney as GM have not been so great -- DNQ, R1 loss, R2 loss, SCF Finals loss, R2 loss. And the SCF year was due to lucking out by avoiding the two teams that would have dismantled them in the EC, then getting beat by a team that had no business beating the Bs. Both R2 losses were not really close (both 1 game to 4). The R1 loss was to freaking Ottawa, 2-4. All the Bs have shown in the postseason is that they can eek out series vs Tor, and thump Carolina. Beyond that, yuck. It's time to crap or get off the pot. This yearly festival of entering the season with the same formula and the same team needs not met is not working as it relates to playoff success with this talented core. If DS doesn't try a different formula/strategy, then we can expect more of the same. Very frustrating. Hoping that there is a good degree of learning from the failures of the past, and bold moves are made to move the team in a direction that will give them a better chance come playoff time.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think this is a disingenuous list that ignores good minor signings he made while highlighting minor blips and also ignores the premium players he’s retained at WAY below market value

Way below market compared to which team?

Maple Leafs? They are ran poorly ...

To lower level teams that must overpay?

When you compare the Bruins to contending teams like Tampa, Blues, Stars... they are in line with $$ paid out

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Don't hold your breathe for OEL to Bruins, I'd bet a 6'er that he's a Canuck before the end of the day.
I still think one of Nurse/Hanifin will end up in Boston
I sure as hell hope Krug does not get money that we should have been spending on Taylor Hall

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Respect. And well earned respect at that. I think it's clear that both sides are less than certain -- in past years this would already have been done. Even if Chara wanted to come back and Sweeney had decided 100% it was time to move on, they'd still talk. Again, respect. Maybe those talks are about some sort of management role? Who knows.
I hope so 8

Reactions: Number8

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Good
- Some draft picks
- Coyle
- Mojo

Bad
- 2015 draft
- Beleskey
- Backes
- Hayes trade
- Kase
- Nick Ritchie
- John Moore signing
- liles

I like how you try and downplay the good by saying "some draft picks"

McAvoy/Carlo are the top 4 on your right side (a right side most NHL teams wish they had)
DeBrusk is the teams 4th leading goal scorer at 5v5 over the last 3 years and plays in your top 6

What about grabbing guys like Halak or the UDFA they've brought in via the NCAA? No talk about the solid deals he's gotten current guys to sign well below their market value? I'd also say its tough to call Kase and Ritchie bad deals as they barley have anytime with the team (and I'm very against Ritchie). The Bels deal really wasn't that bad to start, but then he fell off. He moved both Bels and Backes contracts without giving up the farm to do so and actually got quality pieces back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad