Management Don Sweeney V: What do the Bruins do in (what could be) the craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The bad ones have cost us very important picks. And Moore was a ridiculously awful contract from day one. At least Backes was good before his contract. He has made some very serious mistakes drafting and signing
The Moore contract is NOTHING compared to the other serious blunders that he's made. Long term damaging mistakes like Backes, and Beleskey cost the Bruins big time along the timeline of DS's tenure as GM.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Absolutely not. Never, ever, ever trust what a GM says publicly. It's posturing. He's not going to come out and say "we're looking to trade Tuukka" because that would weaken his negotiating position and also if something happens where talks with other teams fall through, creates a massive dumb distraction for the media to focus on and make his and the team's life hell.

Okie Dokie...we all anxiously wait for the next "my source" guys to come out....

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The question that was never asked, are they spending. My gut tells me Sweeney doesn’t think Krug will get the money he thinks he is. The next question is how does he think he’s getting a first rd pick if everybody is untouchable. ( Debrusk) out. Daddy in. Sorry it’s just not good enough. Chara talks I don’t understand. I always agree with the Bill Belichick theory move a player a year early then a year late. An analogy the Bruins just don’t get.
Respect. And well earned respect at that. I think it's clear that both sides are less than certain -- in past years this would already have been done. Even if Chara wanted to come back and Sweeney had decided 100% it was time to move on, they'd still talk. Again, respect. Maybe those talks are about some sort of management role? Who knows.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This feels like Iginla or Mark Stone in recent years. The other team ends up with the big one (although we did acquire Nash to be fair).

I still cannot help but expect to be disappointed. Either in what assets we lose or that the other team gets the prize at a reasonable price.

I really don't think the 'Nucks can take on OEL's contract given their Cap and the fact that next year they have big contracts to sign as well. I don't see OEL going to the 'Nucks.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Clock is ticking to the draft. I have to imagine some shit is going down tomorrow.

- Donny recent interview with media the suggests that Rask is still considered a key member of the club moving forward.... doesn't look like he is going anywhere, unless its for something good

Reactions: bbfan419

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I really don't think the 'Nucks can take on OEL's contract given their Cap and the fact that next year they have big contracts to sign as well. I don't see OEL going to the 'Nucks.
If Sweeney makes a move with Vancouver to take on $$$ it means that he's enabling them to win the OEL sweepstakes. It means he was never serious about getting OEL.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Zadorov’s is a bottom pairing D who’s best NHL skill is taking himself out of position to hit someone

On the flip side the player receiving the hit is not the same the rest of the game. TBL crossed into the Bruins endzone like it was nothing. Also parked in front of the net without much resistance. Can't let that happen so easily again

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Sweeney makes a move with Vancouver to take on $$$ it means that he's enabling them to win the OEL sweepstakes. It means he was never serious about getting OEL.

that would be strange ...to be involved for OEL but not to obtain him

Bruins would need to come out with something decent. Some folks here are pushing for Demko

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not sure that's fair. The Bruins are usually somewhere close to the cap.

I think you could certainly question how they spend their money, but I'm not sure there's been an historic lack of willingness to spend - at least not recently.

I will give you recently but Lucy has pulled the ball away from Charlie Brown too many times to trust her. Bruins fans should never forget all the Bruins are is a lone item in an excel program to Monty.

If the old "just open the doors, they will show up" had kept working and Bruins fans didn't stop going to games it would be a very different story here. Harry Sinden would still be defending an internal cap and "there is a salary floor for a reason" as the Senators would be outspending JJ's profit over winning team.

Never trust JJ or forget what you are dealing with

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
- Donny recent interview with media the suggests that Rask is still considered a key member of the club moving forward.... doesn't look like he is going anywhere, unless its for something good

Not really, Sweeney is just blowing corporate/PR smoke there. He isn't lying, Rask is an important member of the roster . . . until he isn't, which could be tomorrow. He didn't say he wasn't listening to offers, or not planning on trading him ;)

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
that would be strange ...to be involved for OEL but not to obtain him

Bruins would need to come out with something decent. Some folks here are pushing for Demko
It's actually smart, OEL is not what the Bruins need, you use Vancouver's desire to get him to improve your team while never really wanting a player who said he would only go to two teams. You run the risk to a point of winding up with him but you can change the deal at the last second so the Coyotes back out.

OEL has painted himself into a corner, he better hope Boston and Vancouver aren't playing the same game and trying to get assets from each other and don't really want him

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
If the Nucks want to sell off players to get OEL, we would be smart to swoop in and help them out. With taking a stab at one or a few of Toffoli, Virtanen and Markstrom. Maybe we play that angle instead of getting OEL and then go get Hanifan.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

If you were him would you say "ya we've been shopping Tuukka for weeks now, even got a few nibbles" ? It's GM speak for you'll have to wait and see . I'm not showing cards just yet.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If you were him would you say "ya we've been shopping Tuukka for weeks now, even got a few nibbles" ? It's GM speak for you'll have to wait and see . I'm not showing cards just yet.

tbh I would just state "no comment". But then again I wouldn't be a gm

Donny language is.... even with Nordstrom, Donny stated there isn't a strong interest to bring him back..... the reality is, he is a goner. Why not just be clear about it

Reactions: Gordoff

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Well , there is more than one way to skin a cat. If the moves he would make with the 'Nucks enable him to strengthen the team in some other way I'm all for it.

OEL does not come without risk and assets leaving. I just don't see any team taking him on unless there is retention or the 'Yotes take back contracts, none of which I see happening. I think OEL stays in Arizona .

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
tbh I would just state "no comment". But then again I wouldn't be a gm

Donny language is.... even with Nordstrom, Donny stated there isn't a strong interest to bring him back..... the reality is, he is a goner. Why not just be clear about it

Because Tuuka is a core roster member and #1 goalie. Nordstrom is a 4th liner. Perception is everything.

Reactions: maxl7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad