Management Don Sweeney V: What do the Bruins do in (what could be) the craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
It's actually smart, OEL is not what the Bruins need, you use Vancouver's desire to get him to improve your team while never really wanting a player who said he would only go to two teams. You run the risk to a point of winding up with him but you can change the deal at the last second so the Coyotes back out.

OEL has painted himself into a corner, he better hope Boston and Vancouver aren't playing the same game and trying to get assets from each other and don't really want him

No matter what OEL gets paid his contract and he'll either be in Arizona, Boston or Vancouver which sounds like he's okay with.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Because Tuuka is a core roster member and #1 goalie. Nordstrom is a 4th liner. Perception is everything.

its not even that

ok so if Rask is traded sometime this offseason

Then what is Donny going to state?? ohhhh something came up and we had to execute the deal. Thanks Tuuka

that is .... something I rather not say

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
No matter what OEL gets paid his contract and he'll either be in Arizona, Boston or Vancouver which sounds like he's okay with.

Yeah, I think people are thinking that OEL has requested a trade or something. Seems like he's fine with staying put. This situation is not on him at all, and it feels weirdly anti-player to frame it as such.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Go get both of them from the same store - Back together - Hall and OEL'ts, Live in Boston

sports-addik-135.jpg

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

TBH I don't think the Bruins can afford him, unless Rask is unloaded. Rask or Krejci

If Dadonov signing is true + OEL, the Bruins will be close to strapped and couldn't sign Debrusk, Gryz... let alone a string of ahlers/prospect without deals currently

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
tbh I would just state "no comment". But then again I wouldn't be a gm

Donny language is.... even with Nordstrom, Donny stated there isn't a strong interest to bring him back..... the reality is, he is a goner. Why not just be clear about it

Nordy and Rask are a very different class of player from the other

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Krug shouldn't be in the plan period IMO, OEL or not.

Perhaps it’s Sweeney making it sound like he has other options that he is comfortable with (such as re-signing Krug) for leverage with GM’s he is negotiating with (e.g Arizona).

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nordy and Rask are a very different class of player from the other

Like I asked the other user. What happens if Rask is traded in the next few days

Donny 1st states he is an important part of the club (pre draft phone interview).... .then after traded, what is his message?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
its not even that

ok so if Rask is traded sometime this offseason

Then what is Donny going to state?? ohhhh something came up and we had to execute the deal. Thanks Tuuka

that is .... something I rather not say

Why would he state or need to state anything other than what he always says if a trade is made? We thank Tuuka for the years of service, wish him well, blah blah blah, we had an opportunity to address organizational needs blah blah, we feel confident that this was a good move for the club blah blah blah.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Like I asked the other user. What happens if Rask is traded in the next few days

Donny 1st states he is an important part of the club (pre draft phone interview).... .then after traded, what is his message?

We had an opportunity to improve our hockey club and we feel that this betters our team going forward ...............blah,blah,blah

Reactions: Bodit9

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Absolutely not. Never, ever, ever trust what a GM says publicly. It's posturing. He's not going to come out and say "we're looking to trade Tuukka" because that would weaken his negotiating position and also if something happens where talks with other teams fall through, creates a massive dumb distraction for the media to focus on and make his and the team's life hell.

Other reports suggest that this isn't the entire quote. The quote Sweeney reportedly gave is: “No, No. As a matter of fact, our staff has communicated with Tuukka, and as I said before, he remains a big part of our roster planning going forward, because I think, by my knowledge, he was second in the Vezina balloting.”

A cynical interpretation could be that Rask is a big part of the Bruins' roster planning because a potential trade is part of the roster planning process.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

"An opportunity presented itself over the last few days and while it was a tough decision, we decided it was a move to make our club better."

He says this about every move basically. Standard diplomatic boilerplate response.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
"An opportunity presented itself over the last few days and while it was a tough decision, we decided it was a move to make our club better."

He says this about every move basically. Standard diplomatic boilerplate response.

I'm sure he does ... anyways I'm glad I'm not a gm or could do a very good job. If this is what it takes.... I'm too honest

Reactions: JOKER 192

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Its also weird what is going on with Krug. The bridge is not closed for him to return (on Bruins terms) .... so perhaps this is why his rights hasn't been traded yet

I don't think anybody would be surprised if Krug and Chara return next season. With just Chara and Grz changing places (1st to 3rd pairing)

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
To the first Tweet: HOLY SHIT NO!
To the second Tweet: NO SHIT Dick Tracy! Of course if you have a chance to
get a 1st round draft pick and DON'T explore it you're a schmuck!
Hard to get to worked up (at all) about this sort of stuff. Whether you think Sweeney has the goods to be the GM or not, if you think he's going to answer these sorts of questions any other way than he did, you'll be disappointed.

What do you want him to say? "We'll give anyone from 15th pick and higher Jake DeBrusk for their number one pick. For 30 to 16 we'll give you the rights to Torey. I've got all afternoon...... want me to tell you what I'd take for John Moore?"

If he was truly honest he'd say "What kind of idiot question is that? Of course I'd like a first rounder if I can get it. Are you really as big a dumb shit as that question suggests?". But he can't. So he says something that makes you say "NO SHIT Dick Tracy!".

Come on.......

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Other reports suggest that this isn't the entire quote. The quote Sweeney reportedly gave is: “No, No. As a matter of fact, our staff has communicated with Tuukka, and as I said before, he remains a big part of our roster planning going forward, because I think, by my knowledge, he was second in the Vezina balloting.”

A cynical interpretation could be that Rask is a big part of the Bruins' roster planning because a potential trade is part of the roster planning process.

Yep and notice how he says a whole lot of nothing about what the intentions are. No lies, just no information either :laugh:

Fatmancryin

Nov 12, 2018
Its also weird what is going on with Krug. The bridge is not closed for him to return (on Bruins terms) .... so perhaps this is why his rights hasn't been traded yet

I don't think anybody would be surprised if Krug and Chara return next season. With just Chara and Grz changing places (1st to 3rd pairing)

If that is indeed the case, then don’t expect a cup this year and another waste year for Bergeron and others.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Hard to get to worked up (at all) about this sort of stuff. Whether you think Sweeney has the goods to be the GM or not, if you think he's going to answer these sorts of questions any other way than he did, you'll be disappointed.

What do you want him to say? "We'll give anyone from 15th pick and higher Jake DeBrusk for their number one pick. For 30 to 16 we'll give you the rights to Torey. I've got all afternoon...... want me to tell you what I'd take for John Moore?"

If he was truly honest he'd say "What kind of idiot question is that? Of course I'd like a first rounder if I can get it. Are you really as big a dumb shit as that question suggests?". But he can't. So he says something that makes you say "NO SHIT Dick Tracy!".

Come on.......

Wouldn't you love to have Torts as a GM for a day, just to do the media availablity? You'd get exactly that haha it would be glorious!

The Laukomotive

Nov 26, 2017
What a dumb post because those players would never be offered. This is reality and 63 88 73 aren’t going anywhere stop wasting time

Then why are you answering me?

It makes no sense to make an hypebolic rethorical question and then complain you got an hyperbolic rethorical answer.

If you want a more grounded answer, I can think of two situations that may make an unrealistic/unexpected trade happen. Overpayment and circumstance.

It may be a franchise icon in the end of his career willing to leave to contend for a cup, a pending UFA not willing to re-sign, a team in hard financial situation, a team growing sour on a star, a player getting too many injuries to be depended on...

Reactions: Gordoff

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sounds like the trades are beginning. Will we see change in Boston before today is over?

don't hold your breath.... I think better chance tues/wed draft days, since teams have their drafting/dealing juices up and running. Or after Oct 9th of next week, after the major signings/deals are off the table. With teams going after their secondary targets

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
On the flip side the player receiving the hit is not the same the rest of the game. TBL crossed into the Bruins endzone like it was nothing. Also parked in front of the net without much resistance. Can't let that happen so easily again
Right, I would take him with the Bruins methods of coaching-up defensemen. We've needed a replacement for Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller since AMcQ left.

Reactions: JOKER 192
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad