Management Don Sweeney V: What do the Bruins do in (what could be) the craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Doing this is good fun

1) Bergy was ineffective in the playoffs: offensively 5x5 and on the PP with him at the bumper.
2) I'll give you the 81 games, but against bigger defensemen ala Hedman, he is a different player.
3) The leaked comments about Rask potentially retiring early, over the last couple of years, might be an indicator of where his head is at.
4) I guess I mean the Chara of old, who was a beast. Would kill to have that player back. Nobody on this current team intimidates like he used to. The FO and others around here like to reminisce, but he doesn't' move quickly enough anymore, to move the puck out. I'm afraid that he will be re-signed.
6) You think Debrusk has turned into that power forward, consistent 35 goal scorer that the Bruins had hoped they drafted? His name wouldn't be is trade rumours if he was. Stud and Lauzon are on track IMO.
7) I'll give you the small sample size, but want no part of automatically inserting Kase on the 2nd line. Not sure if the scoring ability needed is there.
8) I agree somewhat and am ok with Krug leaving. But go back 2 years ago when the Krug was running the PP like a master. It's easy for some to say McAvoy or Gryz will fill in seamlessly, but deleting all those points from the back end could be a big hit.
1) You said he was declining offensively which he really isn't and even with this farce of a playoff he had 8 points in 13 games which was good for 4th on the team.
2) You moved the goalpost on this argument but he did finish with 12 points in 13 games this postseason good for 1st on the team.
3) He has since said that he wasn't thinking about retiring and the only worry for him would be whether or not the season is played in a bubble.
4) I'm so confused on this portion. Are you afraid of losing him or getting him back.
5) You do realize only 4 players from that draft have scored 35 goals so I highly doubt they expected him to be a 35 goal scorer.
6) He has more scoring ability than some of the players talked about here.
7) I doubt Krug will be missed as much as some people think he will be. I mean even though he is considered a great offensive d man he was still a -4 on the best team in the league during the regular season.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Nikita Zadorov to the Bruins?

With the NHL offseason in full swing starting this week, the rumor mill has begun to work overtime. While the Colorado Avalanche have been connected to a number of big names as many pundits believe Joe Sakic is in “buy” mode, one player who is likely to find his way out of Denver before next season is defenseman Nikita Zadorov.
After signing a one year contract last summer, Zadorov is once again a restricted free agent. Due a $3.2m qualifying offer, it is believed that the Avalanche are now open to moving on from the 25-year old after showing an unwillingness to lock him up long term on multiple occasions.
The emergence of Ryan Graves and Samuel Girard has pushed Zadorov down the depth chart in Colorado. In an ideal world, Zadorov fits onto the third pair for the Avalanche - unfortunately, his next contract would be too expensive for that role. As a result, it is believed that he will be looking for an annual salary that outweighs his spot in the lineup.
That has led to a lot of speculation that Zadorov will be playing for another team when the next NHL season starts.
The team that is starting to make the most sense - both from a fit and rumor standpoint - is the Boston Bruins.
In all likelihood, the Bruins are set to lose both Torey Krug and Zdeno Chara this offseason due to age and contract demands. If that’s the case, the team will be looking to fill the void with cheaper defenders who can play on their second pair.
Zadorov would be an absolutely perfect fit in Boston. He’s big, hits hard and at times plays on the edge of safe vs reckless. His big body and heavy play would fill the void created by the loss of Chara, while he could also fill in on the team’s second powerplay unit as they try to find a way to create more offense in the absence of Krug.
Given their desire to re-tool before next season and the specific holes in the Bruins lineup, it makes a ton of sense that they would be interest in Zadorov. But at what cost?
One name that has been speculated about recently is Sean Kuraly. The 27-year old forward has one more year left on his contract and is unlikely to be re-signed by the Bruins next offseason. With the emergence of Jack Studnicka and other youngsters, Kuraly could be seen as redundant in the Boston lineup and is a player who can be moved now in order to fill other holes.
In terms of fit with the Avalanche, Kuraly would be a very good option to play the 3C role, allowing J.T. Compher to move to the wing permanently. Kuraly is a big body who plays a physical style and is able to both win faceoffs and kill penalties - two aspects of the game that this Avalanche team needs to improve.
A one for one, Zadorov of Kuraly deal would make sense for both teams.
There are other options as well, whether it be a trade for draft capital or something bigger
Another Bruin that has been thrown into the rumor mill recently is Tuukka Rask. While Joe Sakic has maintained his support of the Philipp Grubauer/Pavel Francouz tandem, bringing in a proven veteran goalie like Rask might be an option for a team that wants to make a run at the Stanley Cup next season.
The potential exists that Zadorov could be a piece of a package going back to Boston in exchange for Rask, but that possibility is far less likely than a smaller deal involving depth players.
Whether anything comes of it or not, where there’s smoke, there’s fire. It’s looking more and more like Zadorov’s days in Denver are numbered and if that’s the case, the rumored move to Boston makes all the sense in the world.
What do you think, should the Avalanche finally move on from Zadorov? Is Boston the right fit?

Reactions: bbfan419

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Sheesh if the Bruins consider him core, I am petrified of what may happen.
Jaffe was just on the power play and he said he thinks the Bruins are going to make a significant deal within the next few weeks. He thinks their going to break-up the core of the team, Maybe he's talking about Debrusk.:dunno:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Jaffe was just on the power play and he said he thinks the Bruins are going to make a significant deal within the next few weeks. He thinks their going to break-up the core of the team, Maybe he's talking about Debrusk.:dunno:
Team's getting too old to break through. Lots of high profile players on the wrong side of 30; injured every playoffs.

Trade the 23 year old.

It's called Bruins.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Looks like along with Brett Ritchie, Brenden Gaunce was not given a qualifying offer. That's too bad; I liked the reports of his play in Providence.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Team's getting too old to break through. Lots of high profile players on the wrong side of 30; injured every playoffs.

Trade the 23 year old.

It's called Bruins.

As long as there's a viable replacement coming in outside of the trade, I'm ok with it. However, I wish they would add to the team instead of shuffling deck chairs. DeBrusk should be part of a solid secondary scoring squad. The problem is, he's the only option that can score goals outside of the top line. I don't think trading that away is smart for a team looking for secondary scoring help, as long as an upgrade to DeBrusk is on the way, which could be if the rumored Dadadov signing happens. Still, I think a DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Dadadnov 2nd unit would be an awesome offensive line to trot out after the Perfection Line.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Trade the 23 year old.

It's called Bruins.
Yup.

Doesn't make sense. I really don't think Debrusk is leaving unless Sweeney gets blown away, same goes for Carlo. For me if anyone of significance moves out it Krejci or Tuukka on the way out

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Swap Zadorov for Lauzon & I agree. I think Zadorov is overkill. Lauzy looked great in season & he's young & cheap.
why not both? Lauzon starts as 7th D IMO, but with injuries there should be plenty of chances for guys to get into the lineup.

I like Zadorov because he'd be the best hitter on the Bruins blueline since Boychuk left.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad