Don Brennan should be FIRED!!!

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I can't believe people still read that propaganda rag they call the Ottawa Sun.

This popped up here and in my facebook feed today so I'm guessing this just became one of the most viewed and read articles the Sun has published in this young year. Guess what? They don't care if you disagree with the opinions, what's been written, reported or even if its accurate information, they just care that you click that link. That's how they get revenue. And as long as the Sun is a sponsor of the Senators and Don Brennan is one of the columnists that get the most attention be it positive or negative, there's no chance of him ever being disallowed into the locker room.

So, how about we do our part and never view anything published by the Ottawa Sun ever again? That's the only way to get him out. There's nothing but fat hack sports writers and right wing shills that work at that company, so grow your damn minds and go elsewhere for news and sports. Its the Fox News of Canada. Treat it as such.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
it's none of our business...full stop. Just because he plays for our team does not mean he has no right to privacy, what is your logic? making players as uncomfortable as possible to play in Ottawa?
No one in the media has reported it because they know its yellow journailism. So instead, you have someone trying to make a buck off it somehow, without breaching some code.

Here's my logic: Erik Karlsson should answer hockey questions. How's that?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
it's none of our business...full stop. Just because he plays for our team does not mean he has no right to privacy, what is your logic? making players as uncomfortable as possible to play in Ottawa?
No one in the media has reported it because they know its yellow journailism. So instead, you have someone trying to make a buck off it somehow, without breaching some code.

It has nothing to do with Ek's private life, Brennan spelled that out clearly.

What Don is saying is the fans deserve EKs opinions on the team and his game.

IMO he is right.

EK hiding from the media will only result in even greater speculation on a topic that has nothing to do with hockey.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
I forgot we lived in a medieval time when divorce is unheard of and is terrible. Who cares what issues are going on in EK's life? I don't care who he hooked up with last weekend. I just want to see him continue to be a gamer and be our franchise player.

So what's you're saying is that Karlsson hooked up with some girl last weekend and that's why he and his wife are splitting? :sarcasm:

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
As far as I know EK has the OK from the team to keep quiet - that should be enough for the 'professionals' in the industry to get over themselves and move on for a few days.

And I love this grandeur 'Voice of The People' character Donni is trying to put on right now. I line my rat's cage with the free copies of the Sun I get from work - and George Michael's pellets are most weight Brennan's words will ever hold.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
It has nothing to do with Ek's private life, Brennan spelled that out clearly.

What Don is saying is the fans deserve EKs opinions on the team and his game.

IMO he is right.

EK hiding from the media will only result in even greater speculation on a topic that has nothing to do with hockey.

and you think Brennan is being 100% truthful? C'mon....

Maybe Karlsson is sick of being asked 'how does the achilles feel' for the 1,000,000 time.... maybe him and Brennan do not get a long.....

If Karlsson was playing horribly I'd be concerned, but he's not and it seems like Brennan is bullying him.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Karlsson's job is to play hockey, not appease the media. Why should we expect more from an employee of a private company, when we don't even expect it from our Prime Minister.....

Sounds about right.

Besides, we know the type of crap Brennan writes.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Hypothetically, even if a person is does not think Brennan did anything wrong can we agree that he need to be fired anyway? I don't even want to read the story, so I don't have any opinion on it one way or the other, but I sort of like the fire Brennan angle of this thread.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Maybe we need to bump this up to discuss again.

Its awesome to see Brennan call out EK65 in today's paper.

Pretty sure he doesn't want to talk to him because, well, he's Don Brennan.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/14...nemates--sens-anxious-to-get-home-but-to-what

I think Chezzz is actually Don Brennan and is just drawing attention to himself. Think about it - his articles and player interviews are completely ridiculous, and yet we spend so much time commenting on him about how annoying he is. He's the perfect troll, and he's laughing his ass off about it reviewing our comments.

TristanH

Apr 22, 2012
Ottawa
What an idiot... the guy wants some space and privacy.. respect that.

"he should talk to us" ... come on... you are going to ask him about the game he just played, being named to the olympic team.. then "What did you mean about 2013 being the worst year.."

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Hypothetically, even if a person is does not think Brennan did anything wrong can we agree that he need to be fired anyway? I don't even want to read the story, so I don't have any opinion on it one way or the other, but I sort of like the fire Brennan angle of this thread.

I'll get on board with this, Brennan is a tool.
This is just him trying to get more page hits/papers sold; I can see it becoming a "run Karlsson out of town" thing to the reactionary folks out there. Thankfully Murray isn't that ridiculous that he'd do that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Humm ... Brennan is in the business of getting opinions & quotes from athletes so he can write articles about the team, I believe that`s his job description. As long as I have been watching sports athletes have been interviewed by sports writers & giving opinions about their play, their team & their sport.

Karlsson doesn`t seem to want to be interviewed & seems to prefer to just send out tweets when he feels like it, which to me means he can control the message. It could be a sign of the times in this age of technology or it could be a new way to avoid being critizied which could become the norm as athletes mostly give us the team line anyway. I don`t think Brennan is a hack because of it & don`t blame Karlsson for not wanting to be asked questions about his play or the team`s. However, I would prefer to see athletes being questioned about their play & being held accountable. IMO Karlsson makes a lot of mistakes & although he gets his pts he still needs to be critizied for his risky plays & mistakes.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Humm ... Brennan is in the business of getting opinions & quotes from athletes so he can write articles about the team, I believe that`s his job description. As long as I have been watching sports athletes have been interviewed by sports writers & given opinions about their play, their team & their sport.

Karlsson doesn`t seem to want to be interviewed & seems to prefer to just send out tweets when he feels like it, which to me means he can control the message. It could be a sign of the times in this age of technology or it could be a new way to avoid being critizied which could become the norm as athletes mostly give us the team line anyway. I don`t think Breenan is a hack because of it & don`t blame Karlsson for not wanting to be asked questions about his play or the team`s. However, I would prefer to see athletes being questioned about their play & being held accountable. IMO Karlsson makes a lot of mistakes & although he gets his pts he still needs to be critizied for his risky plays & mistakes.

The thing is even in Brennan's article he states that Karlsson only does after game interviews. So basically he wrote a full article complaining about it.

My guess is he tried getting an interview in before the Minnesota game and couldn't, got sour about and vented since he doesn't know how to write about hockey.

Isn't this the guy that wrote an article before about the size of his dong because Matt Cooke hurt his feelings?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
and you think Brennan is being 100% truthful? C'mon....

Maybe Karlsson is sick of being asked 'how does the achilles feel' for the 1,000,000 time.... maybe him and Brennan do not get a long.....

If Karlsson was playing horribly I'd be concerned, but he's not and it seems like Brennan is bullying him.

You can look for an ulterior motive in anything if you want, but I don't believe Don is bullying EK.

A few weeks back I attended a couple of Sens practices at the Sensplex and EK was talking/joking with the Sun twins Don & Bruce.

So it seems EK is just refusing to go on the record.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
just talked my parents into cancelling the sun. (don't ask why they were getting it in the first place)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Humm ... Brennan is in the business of getting opinions & quotes from athletes so he can write articles about the team, I believe that`s his job description. As long as I have been watching sports athletes have been interviewed by sports writers & giving opinions about their play, their team & their sport.

Karlsson doesn`t seem to want to be interviewed & seems to prefer to just send out tweets when he feels like it, which to me means he can control the message. It could be a sign of the times in this age of technology or it could be a new way to avoid being critizied which could become the norm as athletes mostly give us the team line anyway. I don`t think Brennan is a hack because of it & don`t blame Karlsson for not wanting to be asked questions about his play or the team`s. However, I would prefer to see athletes being questioned about their play & being held accountable. IMO Karlsson makes a lot of mistakes & although he gets his pts he still needs to be critizied for his risky plays & mistakes.

Brennan is a hack for writing about Karlsson not talking to him. He is also a hack for any other number of reasons.

Karlsson hasn't talked to him since Jan 1st? Boo Hoo Brennan. Karlsson actually says real things to the media.... Not pointless soundbytes of what he is supposed to say.

Clearly Brennan knows he had a broken relationship from the rumour mill. He should just have shut up and not said anything. Karlsson will/would have eventually talked to the media anyway. I mean it coyld just be superstition... I don't talk to Hack A or Hack B and we win... Or at least get a point! I am not talking to those sloppy fat losers until we lose!

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Karlsson is available to the media after games in the usual media scrums. That's the only thing he's required to do.

Brennan wanted to talk to/interview him at some other time (because he's "too busy" writing his gameday articles for his job after games), so he asked Karlsson for permission to interview him at a different time. Karlsson said no, as is his right.

Brennan got mad and wrote an unprofessional article complaining that he wasn't allowed special access to Karlsson.

Who's wrong here? Certainly not Karlsson or the organization. Seems like Brennan is the only person in the wrong here.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Did you ever think that, I mean, EK is thinking you know, I mean, that the press should be you know, I mean talking with the guys with a letter.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I was listening to the post game show last night and there was a hilarious moment showcasing Brennan's idiocy in Z Smith's live from the locker room. Gordo was on his game as usual, then Brennan chimes in with something to the effect of "so no penalties", and Smith was like, um actually we had 3.

And then (I think it was AJ) proceeded to make fun of Brennan for the next minute or so. Like trashing him, not just a fun ribbing.

"Is he just asleep during the game?"

Glorious.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

It's the coaches job to keep the players accountable, definitely not the media.

You could argue that it's the media's job to keep the organization accountable and I'll agree with that.

If Brennan think its's his job to keep Karlsson accountable then I would really prefer it if Karlsson avoided him and his shockingly low understanding of hockey.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Did you ever think that, I mean, EK is thinking you know, I mean, that the press should be you know, I mean talking with the guys with a letter.

Gonna have to change up your writing style if you want to get by anonymously there Donni.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad