Don Brennan should be FIRED!!!

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
let's not over-think this too much regarding role models.

My opinion of Brennan is that he's a smart man, and he expects and wants the reactions that he gets.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
let me get this straight: some of you actually give a **** about the canned answers provided by hockey players? who actually gives a **** if this pathetic excuse for 'journalism' does or doesn't occur? don brennan is irrelevant, and should be treated as such by every player in my opinion.

Yep.

Pretty ironic, though not surprising, that the guy that had to go for drama when Karlsson was drafted by calling him a garbage pick is whining because he isn't getting the face time he wants.

John Holmes*

Why does everyone keep regurgitating that lie?

Brennan did not call Karlsson a garbage pick. Some idiot in the stands that he quoted did, and then all he said was that they could have got him later than 15.

But don't let reality stop your blind hatred or anything.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Why does everyone keep regurgitating that lie?

Brennan did not call Karlsson a garbage pick. Some idiot in the stands that he quoted did, and then all he said was that they could have got him later than 15.

But don't let reality stop your blind hatred or anything.

Didn't realize that he may not have said it. Likely has legs since it is the kind of drama, "pot stir" comment that Brennan would make.

Officer Fred

Jan 28, 2010
Vancouver
Didn't realize that he may not have said it. Likely has legs since it is the kind of drama, "pot stir" comment that Brennan would make.

It seems like he included that quote for that exact reason, imo. Why give a reaction from some random fan at all? The thing is that no average fan (from NA) would have had the opportunity to actually watch Erik Karlsson play pre-draft. What other reason is there to publish that sort of "analysis"?

edit: It's crazy how deep the first round of that draft was in quality d-men, iirc.

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
It seems like he included that quote for that exact reason, imo. Why give a reaction from some random fan at all? The thing is that no average fan (from NA) would have had the opportunity to actually watch Erik Karlsson play pre-draft. What other reason is there to publish that sort of "analysis"?

Here is the segment of Bennan's peice on Karlsson. He also later admitted that he knew the "fan" quoted.
The bolded is by Brennan not his friend.

As far as making a splash, Bryan Murray tossed a pebble into the lake that was Round 1 of the NHL draft last night.

Not to be outdone by his wheeling-and-dealing counterparts, the Senators GM traded up three steps so he could take ... Erik Karlsson?

"Nice way to show your thanks to the fans for their support," said Brian Samuel, a regular ticket-buying customer at Scotiabank Place who was sitting in Level 2 wearing a Senators jersey and surrounded by his buddies in Leafs and Blackhawks colours.

"That's a garbage pick. They could have had him in the second round."

Thing is, we really don't know how good Karlsson can and will be. The 43rd player ever drafted into the NHL from the Frolunda hockey team in Sweden, he is advertised as a great skating defenceman with a big shot.

But he's also tiny, listed at 5-foot-10 and 157 lbs.

"I like big strong guys," said Murray, noting Karlsson has some work to do in the gym. "But I also like high-end skilled people."

Karlsson won't play in the NHL for a year or two or three, if he ever does. Real tough to get excited about him now.

STARTS AND STOPS

He was one of the five players the Senators had on their list, but apparently not the top one still available when it was their turn to pick. So 67's defenceman Tyler Cuma wound up going to the Minnesota Wild as the 23th player selected ...

Officer Fred

Jan 28, 2010
Vancouver
Here is the segment of Bennan's peice on Karlsson. He also later admitted that he knew the "fan" quoted.

As far as making a splash, Bryan Murray tossed a pebble into the lake that was Round 1 of the NHL draft last night.

Not to be outdone by his wheeling-and-dealing counterparts, the Senators GM traded up three steps so he could take ... Erik Karlsson?

"Nice way to show your thanks to the fans for their support," said Brian Samuel, a regular ticket-buying customer at Scotiabank Place who was sitting in Level 2 wearing a Senators jersey and surrounded by his buddies in Leafs and Blackhawks colours.

Thing is, we really don't know how good Karlsson can and will be. The 43rd player ever drafted into the NHL from the Frolunda hockey team in Sweden, he is advertised as a great skating defenceman with a big shot.

"I like big strong guys," said Murray, noting Karlsson has some work to do in the gym. "But I also like high-end skilled people."

Karlsson won't play in the NHL for a year or two or three, if he ever does. Real tough to get excited about him now.

STARTS AND STOPS

He was one of the five players the Senators had on their list, but apparently not the top one still available when it was their turn to pick. So 67's defenceman Tyler Cuma wound up going to the Minnesota Wild as the 23th player selected ...

I guess Brian Samuel is some sort of

Last edited:

Officer Fred

Jan 28, 2010
Vancouver

STARTS AND STOPS

23th?

It seems to me from this citation that Brennan believes the Sens should have taken Cuma at 15th rather than Karlsson. And that the Sens took a player who wasn't the BPA on their list. I don't buy that they would take a player who was further down while a guy they had ranked higher was still on the board.

Last edited:

John Holmes*

Because 5'10, 160 LBS defensemen are surefire picks...

Funny that the most moronic article in Senators history barely ever gets mentioned. The one where Chris Stevenson went on a tirade over how we should have drafted Matt Zultek instead of Marian Hossa.

I don't even like Brennan, I think he's a hack. I just don't understand the anger people have for him.

If he sucks so much, don't read his articles. It's that simple.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Tyler Cuma?!? HAHAHAHAH That alone says how much of a ******* idiot Brennan is. Not to mention his hard-on for Ottawa to sign every ex-67 that becomes available.

The guy is a walking idiot. And just like Laraque, I would say it to his face.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
My opinion of Brennan is that he's a smart man, and he expects and wants the reactions that he gets.

Have you heard him on the radio? Guy can barely string together a sentence, let alone read an email. He does not come across as a smart man. His takes on the Sens and the NHL in general are way off, which is weird considering it is his job to follow the league.

I cringe whenever he is the replacement on tsn1200.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
well I've listened to him on the radio as well, and my opinion isn't changed. What I mean by smart is that he gets what he wants, and I can't remember if ever he made a positive contribution. I don't like that and him as a result. He's a troll and trolls are by choice.

And I'm not sure why stringing sentences and reading are the signifier of intelligence.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
well I've listened to him on the radio as well, and my opinion isn't changed. What I mean by smart is that he gets what he wants, and I can't remember if ever he made a positive contribution. I don't like that and him as a result. He's a troll and trolls are by choice.

And I'm not sure why stringing sentences and reading are the signifier of intelligence.

Well, when your in the journalism business you would hope that reading and the English language would be a strength. I'm not a big fan of any of the Sun sport writers though.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder who chooses the quotes to include...
yea, not sure why Holmes brings up that it wasn't Brennan who said it, he may not have, but he included the quote

though I lean towards it's his own words and the fan was a figment of his imagination

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Brennan just took the coward's way out.

This way, he can hide behind it being a quote now that's he's been proven wrong. I have no doubt in my mind it's what he was thinking. The rest of the article seems to fall in line with the idea that the pick was at the very least a missed opportunity.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I've been on the fire Brennan bandwagon for a long time. Everyone gives Bruce a hard time, but really he only does his rumour thing. Brennan is a moron to begin with, but he really does a number on basically spitting on our own players and trying to stir up ****.

Here is another doozy on Karlsson tonight. :facepalm:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/01/18...tors-defenceman-erik-karlsson-are-inexcusable

Funny , no mention of Phillips give away. I guess that one was excusable.

Brennan has had a vendetta against certain players before, but I think people are on to him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad