Speculation: Does Shanahan have any say in how this team is being run?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t agree. GMs report to owners and Presidents. For the Leafs, big decisions need to go through Boards.

Shanahan has to endorse those Board presentations and he’s put a flag in the ground and money behind the data based approach of Dubas. Who doesn’t “buy” the idea of physicality.

If Shanahan disagreed, he could change the GM and not support spending that he questioned.

We tend to think that Shanny is hands on but as President of operation of the Leafs, I really think he does not have as big a role as we think in terms of team building and day to day operation.
Yes, he needs to report to the board but it comes down to P/L. Since the NHL has a hard cap, Leafs sell out all the time even if they have no star players, more revenue now since Leafs players actually sell jerseys, heck even Marlies attendance is really good. He really doesn’t need to explain too much to the board. He might needs to explain about firing Babs if he chooses to.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
We tend to think that Shanny is hands on but as President of operation of the Leafs, I really think he does not have as big a role as we think in terms of team building and day to day operation.
Yes, he needs to report to the board but it comes down to P/L. Since the NHL has a hard cap, Leafs sell out all the time even if they have no star players, more revenue now since Leafs players actually sell jerseys, heck even Marlies attendance is really good. He really doesn’t need to explain too much to the board. He might needs to explain about firing Babs if he chooses to.
Absolutely he does.

And he's the one that's best positioned to orchestrate change, for better or worse.

He's made quite a few major mistakes already.

I guess we have to hope he starts making better decisions, or else.
But as far as the bottom line Shanahan is fine by the bigger suits in MSLE
a trained monkey could make gobs of money in toronto
But he had to endorse dubas on contracts and hopefully like any good corporations they have quarterly plans in place
But why Shanahan let dubas sign nylander last year was a mystery then having him pirouette around the ice most nites is irritating
This club isnt getting out coached it's just not listening
Time to shake up
Everybody knew the salary differences would be a problem especially when the lesser lights are outplaying the 28 million most nights

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Giving a coach an 8 year deal is all you need to know about Shanahan.

This guy doesn’t even understand the shelf life of a coach.

Or we needed to overpay to get somebody like Babcock willing to come to the mess that was the TML. It seems to be a pattern that has happened when trying to attract a veteran coach (Babcock), a veteran GM (Lou) and a veteran player (Marleau).

Not to mention the contracts we have given out have crippled this team.

IMO Babcock is done, players deployment has been questionable at times especially in the playoffs. It’s been reported in the past that there is a rift between him and Matthews. The team doesn’t seem to follow the coaching staff systems which is a huge indication of how much buy in there is. I guess we will see how long he lasts but I suspect this is his last season.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Seeing all the Leaf hot-takes this season has really opened my eyes lol, makes perfect sense for why Leaf fans are hated across the league.

Vancouver is pissed at TV times they hate us more then we hate them or even figured they could hate them. Think of every blackout game you got pissed at. Times that starting in 1980 3pm starting game times when ever the leafs played there. So just write that whole fan base off they also have some extreme passion issues. (Riot history)
Helped by the internet you will these guys that arnt real fans and wouldn't be caught saying alot of what they do. Then there's the people find it fun in their doceli lives and this is how they get a rise. If that's not enough take into account your lost teenager who has an outlet to express themselves threw trying to destroy others happiness or voicing there own repressed feelings on a platform of everything sucks but not officially getting help. Then you have your good debaters that some just like to challange your opinion as doing so is the only way we truly interact with others and grow our own opinions that arnt per presser. Those posters are pretty legit and you only get better being challanged by someone equal or better. Honestly it's annoying but we need to focus on more positive influences at games also not helped by big business and bloated ticket prices. I believe this team has the talent we need to energize them as this has been lacking since the Sundin Era and even showed signs of losing stem then if you watched the Gilmour teams and the arena was alive. Fans passion helped that raptors team when they needed to dig deeper we were there to cheer them threw their mental blocks. Think about how often you do the same job almost every day it's how your twice as efficient then when you started that job. You miss things from time to time these guys lose mental focus from time to time. When you played the game you will know how to zone yourself in your not in the same mind frame as someone outside looking in is. These guys have milliseconds to make the right play believe in them. You will find they will refoucs and believe in themselves much faster and mistakes will wash themselves out. Positivity out brings positivity into our lives. No ever poster is irrational but remeber alot won't talk like they do on here. Don't invest in them don't give up on our team it's time to believe in this team. The lucky for us on a management level they don't listen to this, I know some posters think because they said Toronto needs a RHD 2 years ago and we got one now they think they're a prophet and they say every random though in their head that comes up. This management teams pretty astute and seems to do things on there time table and not rushed and make mistakes but they seem to be in the little areas like back up goalie. They have yet to leave us choked on a move that really stiffed us.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And just what do YOU have exactly?

Name a President that could do better in a short time like what Shanahan has done.

I meam do people just have collective amnesia about how much of a joke the Leafs were for most of the last 20 years?

And its NOW of all periods, when the Leafs have more talent than theyve ever had in recent memory that things are somehow a disaster lol?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Calling this core great is a bit of a stretch

Our guys have some very strong attributes but a lot of our most important players are one dimensional which does make us a high event team with a limited playing style

Our contact situation sucks but that isn't making Matthews and Rielly defensive black holes and the team mentally fragile
I certainly see where people are coming from saying that our #1C and #1D can't be as bad defensively as they have been. They really, really tilt the ice the right way, but it's a fragile strength if that makes sense.

I disagree that our contract situation sucks though. People look way too much at the biggest contracts, rather than the overall value bought. Dom Lusczsyshyn ranked all teams in terms of how much on-ice impact they bought for each cap dollar. We were one of the most cap efficient teams in the league. I think that was before the Marner deal though, which brings it back a bit. For how bad the Marner contract is, there's not a surer bet to live up to a contract than a young star RFA. And when you look beyond the big names, we're really, really cap efficient.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I certainly see where people are coming from saying that our #1C and #1D can't be as bad defensively as they have been. They really, really tilt the ice the right way, but it's a fragile strength if that makes sense.

I disagree that our contract situation sucks though. People look way too much at the biggest contracts, rather than the overall value bought. Dom Lusczsyshyn ranked all teams in terms of how much on-ice impact they bought for each cap dollar. We were one of the most cap efficient teams in the league. I think that was before the Marner deal though, which brings it back a bit. For how bad the Marner contract is, there's not a surer bet to live up to a contract than a young star RFA. And when you look beyond the big names, we're really, really cap efficient.

We're a great team when we have the puck on our sticks

Unfortunately when you play other good possession players you've got to be able to hold them at bay for periods of time, we just don't seem to be able or willing to play hard enough through the NZ or DZ to do that

The way that model is set up it puts a premium on youth and we have plenty of youth on the roster, I'd also imagine we would look strong in the offensive metrics as well

What that won't take into account is how one dimensional a lot of our players drivers are and our cap situation makes it almost impossible to add players around the core without subtraction from the roster

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

v4karuna

Apr 23, 2015
I hope Shanahan is paying attention - the fan base is cringing and frustrated and the media is questioning how good of a team we are.

I think he will step in by the end of this year if we are a 500 team and fire somebody for good.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Well if Shanahan is letting Harry Potter make all those stupid decisions then he should be gone. Oh, I almost forgot he hired Babcock too. The way MLSE operates they'll probably give him a raise.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So leaf fans are hated because they criticise their own team? Should we criticise other teams so we are loved?
Ive been following the leafs all my life which is a bit longer than many here. Never saw leaf fans like some of the ones on this forum. Toxic and petty trolls who wont stand by their past stupidity until its time to double down with a couple of games sample to support their dumb hypothesis. The vile polarizing is what i used to expect with teenage school girls who play the mean girl game

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Can we find the real Shanahan instead of the fraud that has been claiming to be Shanahan working as the Leafs president?

I don't believe it is the same guy as the one below

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

We need to wait and see how it plays out before we say the contracts aren’t that bad.
It doesn’t look bad I guess in terms of if where they signed (money/point wise) is the norm.
But what if 94 points for Marner was an anomaly and he’s a 70 point guy.
Perhaps Nylander (who has the best chance to exceed) jumps to 70. But what if he stays 60. And if the franchise center who can score goals but only pulls in 20 assists. And then the intensity issues. Points with minimal work and poor playoff showings. Are all these things good?

The jury is still out to say good or terrible.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We're a great team when we have the puck on our sticks

Unfortunately when you play other good possession players you've got to be able to hold them at bay for periods of time, we just don't seem to be able or willing to play hard enough through the NZ or DZ to do that

The way that model is set up it puts a premium on youth and we have plenty of youth on the roster, I'd also imagine we would look strong in the offensive metrics as well

What that won't take into account is how one dimensional a lot of our players drivers are and our cap situation makes it almost impossible to add players around the core without subtraction from the roster
Well, the models look at overall impact and not just offense, so that's taken into account. As for our cap situation, there's a lot of teams up against the cap, which means they are not able to add players around the core either. I'd imagine that we'll be pushing towards the max pretty much every year by design.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well, the models look at overall impact and not just offense, so that's taken into account. As for our cap situation, there's a lot of teams up against the cap, which means they are not able to add players around the core either. I'd imagine that we'll be pushing towards the max pretty much every year by design.

Those other teams didn't pay the premiums for there young talent like we did either so on theory they can place more talent around there core players, were just lucky other teams have terrible contracts which mitigate that somewhat but we traded a 1st getting rid of ours so we paid a price for it

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Those other teams didn't pay the premiums for there young talent like we did either so on theory they can place more talent around there core players, were just lucky other teams have terrible contracts which mitigate that somewhat but we traded a 1st getting rid of ours so we paid a price for it
Sure. Don't disagree here. So the difference is that teams like Boston can in theory surround their core with better player, or at least more expensive players, but they didn't get as much out of that potential as they could have. While we had limited options there, but we have really made the most of it (outside Ceci.) I don't think we should judge a team on one but not the other.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sure. Don't disagree here. So the difference is that teams like Boston can in theory surround their core with better player, or at least more expensive players, but they didn't get as much out of that potential as they could have. While we had limited options there, but we have really made the most of it (outside Ceci.) I don't think we should judge a team on one but not the other.

We haven't felt the full effect of our cap situation as yet

When all our guys come off IR or LTIR our roster situation is going to be brutal, bare bones with the potential to lose decent depth to waivers or forced into trading a useful player for a weak return (even Ceci)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad