Speculation: Does Shanahan have any say in how this team is being run?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Where the **** is Shanahan?!

Is he scrambling to get a replacement GM in place by April/May?

He is MIA in the worst way and I can't imagine why he would be so absent at such a crucial period of the season.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If you were Shanny you may want to lay low right now. He just got a new deal so he may be thinking they are not going to oust me right now. Roll da sh*t downhill to Dubie.
I don't know what he is doing but it can't be good for him today. People are royally p*ssed.
This after he goes to Larry and says we need to remove Mike. and Larry goes to board for approval. and now he says wow maybe it was not Mike. Maybe Mike was right we have no defense and we are too soft. It is not a good message.
Maybe board says ok Shanny this is your last straw. Replace Dubie and get someone who knows how to build a team competing for a Cup. or maybe they say look Shanny you have given us bad information. Maybe you don't know what you are doing. Those kinda meeting are always very tense and could go either way.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Here is who Dubas brought in.

Tavares
Muzzin
Barrie
Kerfoot
Mikheyev
Ceci
Shore
Gravel
Spezza
Petan

Other than the bottom 2, the players he brought in are basically the least of the team's problems.

You forgot

Hyman
Kapanen
Sandin

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Where the **** is Shanahan?!

Is he scrambling to get a replacement GM in place by April/May?

He is MIA in the worst way and I can't imagine why he would be so absent at such a crucial period of the season.

Aside from firing the GM, which likely isnt gping to happenx what sort of PUBLIC moves is a president supposed to do? The behind the scenes stuff is happening as usual, i doubt hes just sitting at home every day....

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Anyone can come in, tank and acquire high draft picks. Anyone can come in and make Mike Babcock the highest paid coach in league history. This is not impressive. The Dave Nonis/ Brian Burke built leafs had a 4-1 lead against Boston in GM7. That is closer than any Shanahan team has gotten.

He puts together a team of hockey people only to let them go, and then hand the team over to Kyle Dubas? LOL. We are seeing the results. Shanahan has not made a single shrewd move since he hired Lou. Shanahan is a snake oil salesman and he needs to go. He is nothing but a politician.

"Anyone" - this team literally spent a decade not doing that. Youre grossly underestimating how radical of a move that was in this market

The words Dave Nonis and "impressive"dont belong in the same sentence

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs' Shanahan unwavering in his expectations, even amid tumult - Sportsnet.ca

“This is what it’s like to be a team that is trying to compete for a Stanley Cup,” he said. “It’s quieter and more peaceful when you’re going the other way and when you’re trying to rebuild from scratch. But if we are lucky enough to be the kind of team that can compete and win Stanley Cups, it will not be peaceful.

“It’ll be loud and noisy because the decisions are worth more and the small decisions, the small tweaks, will have a bigger impact on a bigger stage.

“That is just the way it is.”

One thing that stood out during his 10 minutes in front of the microphones was how open Shanahan was about the changes still to be made. He cautioned against taking a “snapshot” of the current team and drawing conclusions about their approach to building a winner — a reference, it should be noted, that didn’t seem to be aimed at the core players but rather the pieces around them.

As much as the Leafs organization is committed to using analytical data to try and find edges in decision-making, it’s clear the man at the top still values intangibles. Without prompting, Shanahan pointed to the acquisition of depth forward Kyle Clifford in last month’s trade with Los Angeles as a step in the right direction.

“I think he’s had a positive impact on [Kasperi Kapanen’s] game,” Shanahan said of Clifford. “I think having more Stanley Cup champions and more leaders and getting [Jake] Muzzin re-upped [helps]. Then just sometimes, with time, as players grow from experience and get that scar tissue."

“Obviously we’ve had some real adverse moments and real sort of highs and lows, and there are certain moments where other people [question you] or even you might even question it yourself sometimes and say: ‘How are we going to react in our next game?’

“For me it’s always, ‘What do we do in our next game?’ and there have been some occasions where those questions have been valid and they’ve been really out there and our guys have really stepped up.”

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I never once said Shanahan should be fired at “this point”. Clearly states if he doesn’t win the division or a playoff series this season.

If you’re going to call someone ignorant:

1) Read the post. Read it a 2nd time just to make sure.

2) State why you think that way.

So I’ll ask again. What has he done to show that he is capable of doing this job?
He put the people in place to build an excellent team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hits per 60.

Matthews 17th. (220 lbs.)
Tavares 18th. (215 lbs.)

Perhaps there will be more buy-in for physical play if these two led the way?

Lately we seem to see more physicality from Matthews and it always pays off for him and it's been great to see. But I don't think Matthews is quite at the level in maturity where he's just 'big' out there the way someone like Draisaitl is. By that I mean just be in that battle stance and take up all the room you need to.

Tavares' skating is always an issue, so he can put himself out of position. But his main issue is being able to handle the puck with focus more so than throw the weight around.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Then why did they put on a complete effort almost every game in 2016/2017? And have an excellent first round? Why has their effort regressed?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs President Brendan Shanahan addresses the media following the Maple Leafs' morning skate on Thursday.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Toronto Maple Leafs President Brendan Shanahan addresses the media following the Maple Leafs' morning skate on Thursday.

This guy!

Seriously, as a long long time Leafs fan, are we ever lucky to have this guy come aboard!

Shanaplan never give up on it. Love this guys patience and words in this bi-polar market.

The window is HUGE, the cap is gonna go up big time and Shanaplan has us set up nicely to IMPROVE with an already impressive, young core for the next decade.

We don't have to win the cup this year, the future is bright.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Hits per 60.

Matthews 17th. (220 lbs.)
Tavares 18th. (215 lbs.)

Perhaps there will be more buy-in for physical play if these two led the way?
Matthews is built from glass. I think the injuries fron his youth years have made him so passive. Remember the hits, which get him injured? Practically they touched his shoulder and he was out. How can he possible check ... same goes for all the rest of them ... they are just so fragile .. just compare Wilson to Marner or the rat to Nylander ... it breaks my heart every game!!!

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
5 years as president with nothing to show for it. No division titles no playoff wins. Shanahan fired Carlyle when they were in a playoff spot, because the team was flawed. Now they’re barely clinging to a playoff spot, while being shut out for 25 mins by their 42 year old AHL Zamboni driver.

It’s been 5 years and the team is worse off than when he fired Randy. The Shanahan hire is a failure and he should be fired right when the season ends.

Two losses and here they come...

If you look last two Stanley Cup champions - rebuild lasted over 10 years. It was rollercoaster to those teams. If you look their core most of the players were close to 30yo, little under or over. If you look Tampa Bay and Boston same thing. Tampa Bay has rebuild that's been on since they drafted Stamkos. No Cup. San Jose Sharks went over ten years and no cup.

If you measure success by playoff series wins or division titles, then account that we have two top 5 teams in the league in our division. Of last three Stanley Cup finalists from Eastern Conference: Penguins, Capitals, Bruins. We have played two of them last three years in a row first round. Bruins twice and Capitals. No tweener teams, even though we had two good over 100 points season we played against Bruins, that went to finals last season.

Our core is around 22-26 years. This "pain stage" can take a while. Good that you have shown patience, that you can wait under rock until we lose two games in a row to comment anything here.

Two observations for everyone to think:

1) No recent Stanley Cup champion team have acquired top defenders from free agency or trough trade, those have been drafted and or traded as prospects and developed. They have acquired second or third pair dman though. So we might have to wait for two of Sandin, Dermott, Rielly or Liljegren being that top pairing.

2) No team after 2010 have won Stanley Cup with ELC stars as their core pieces. Usually team consists of 27-32 year old core with some veterans and few young stars. So it's seems to be trend. Usually core is drafted and additional pieces traded or bought from UFA market.

So if we win next three seasons or acquire top defender outside of draft. We go against trend. I would be pretty cautious blowing up the core, but I think we might have to visit trade market at least few times. We need good prime aged players around 30, like Muzzin, Hyman, Tavares etc. Or we have to wait until our core reach that age.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
SIMMONS SUNDAY: Does Shanahan really believe in these Leafs? Really?

Brendan Shanahan can’t possibly believe his own words — being quoted as saying he has faith in the current construction of the Maple Leafs and get this, truly believes they can still contend for the Stanley Cup this season.

Now that’s a concern.

Maybe Shanahan, who doesn’t often speak publicly, chose his words intentionally, or carefully, the other day in Los Angeles. This isn’t like the days when MLSE boss Richard Peddie would say something about the Maple Leafs and Pat Quinn would roll his eyes in disgust. There can be power in Shanahan’s words. He’s a Hall of Famer, who has won more and accomplished more on the ice than anyone who plays for him. When he speaks, it matters, players listen, coaches listen, but the recent message is externally disturbing.

This Leafs team isn’t working. The construction isn’t right. The thought process, to put so much money into four players and so little into the rest of the team, is failing. General manager Kyle Dubas, a personal choice of Shanahan’s, still relatively new to the job, should be under the gun as this disturbing season carries on rather aimlessly.

Before the season began, Shanahan told me he wants the Leafs to be among “the eight teams” that have a chance to win the Stanley Cup every season. That’s a noble goal and he believed it to be attainable.

But what works on paper hasn’t worked on the ice. There have to be questions about John Tavares, currently and long-term. There have to be questions about Dubas and his decision-making. There have to be questions about whether Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner are legitimate winners not just scorers — and if they’re not, what then for Shanahan’s Leafs? And there have to be questions about Shanahan himself, six fast years on the job, still waiting for a playoff run of some kind.

Normally, Shanahan is the soundest, most aggressive, yet most reserved, thinker in the Leafs organization. He likes to have his words heard inside the organization, not outside. He’s very private that way.

But this has been a season of confusion for the Leafs. They show no signs of contending for anything. For him to be delusional at this time, under these circumstances, does not serve the Maple Leafs president well.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
SIMMONS SUNDAY: Does Shanahan really believe in these Leafs? Really?

Brendan Shanahan can’t possibly believe his own words — being quoted as saying he has faith in the current construction of the Maple Leafs and get this, truly believes they can still contend for the Stanley Cup this season.

Now that’s a concern.

Maybe Shanahan, who doesn’t often speak publicly, chose his words intentionally, or carefully, the other day in Los Angeles. This isn’t like the days when MLSE boss Richard Peddie would say something about the Maple Leafs and Pat Quinn would roll his eyes in disgust. There can be power in Shanahan’s words. He’s a Hall of Famer, who has won more and accomplished more on the ice than anyone who plays for him. When he speaks, it matters, players listen, coaches listen, but the recent message is externally disturbing.

This Leafs team isn’t working. The construction isn’t right. The thought process, to put so much money into four players and so little into the rest of the team, is failing. General manager Kyle Dubas, a personal choice of Shanahan’s, still relatively new to the job, should be under the gun as this disturbing season carries on rather aimlessly.

Before the season began, Shanahan told me he wants the Leafs to be among “the eight teams” that have a chance to win the Stanley Cup every season. That’s a noble goal and he believed it to be attainable.

But what works on paper hasn’t worked on the ice. There have to be questions about John Tavares, currently and long-term. There have to be questions about Dubas and his decision-making. There have to be questions about whether Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner are legitimate winners not just scorers — and if they’re not, what then for Shanahan’s Leafs? And there have to be questions about Shanahan himself, six fast years on the job, still waiting for a playoff run of some kind.

Normally, Shanahan is the soundest, most aggressive, yet most reserved, thinker in the Leafs organization. He likes to have his words heard inside the organization, not outside. He’s very private that way.

But this has been a season of confusion for the Leafs. They show no signs of contending for anything. For him to be delusional at this time, under these circumstances, does not serve the Maple Leafs president well.

Hard to take apart this article. Regardless of what Shanahan believes, he's certainly not going to air it out in public. He already made a big mistake when he went public after the Tavares signing and said, "the other players are going to have to take less to stay in Toronto." The best thing he can do is not say anything publicly that will haunt him.

That said, I think Shanahan believes the entire plan Dubas sold him. I think that's why he signed-off on Babcock's firing and Keefe's hiring. Shanahan is all-in with Dubas--it's his guy--so he isn't going to cut his legs out in public. If this whole thing doesn't work, one thing's for sure--Shanahan will be packing his bags as well.

But, yes, of course Shanahan has some say. He's not just an ambassador showing up to events and taking photo ops.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
The Leafs had a couple good games in a row so predictably Shanny and Dubas ran their mouths about being on the same page and how much they believe in the same philosophies.

And then the players made them look like idiots again.

Reactions: The CyNick

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Then why did they put on a complete effort almost every game in 2016/2017? And have an excellent first round? Why has their effort regressed?
Babcock, bad goaltending and never having our full D-core together this year means the effort level has regressed?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Kyle has to run everything by Shanahan. You think this company allows a 33-year old rookie to steer a multi-billion dollar franchise's hockey operations?

Shanahan has everything to do with this as does Dubas.

Anyone here really believe Dubas can pull the trigger on a massive trade without approval from above? get real. He can come up with the ideas, but he has bosses too. And those bosses have to approve the transaction just like the lower bosses at your work have to have approval from the upper bosses when making a deal.

Shanahan is in the shadows, that's a luxury of his job. But he's even more responsible for this failed excursion than Dubas is.

The same as any other year, they'll take time in the off-season to figure out what they gotta do to make the team better. And round goes the cycle, year after year, decade after decade.

Reactions: BLONG7

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
We get back into the situation which is true all businesses. The executive that does the hiring (Shanahan) doesn't like to fire or at least curtail the decision making of the people he has hired. (Dubas, Babcock). It would be admitting an error.
Babcock isn't a good NHL coach. His game management is terrible. Players are getting discouraged with his decisions.
Dubas gets blamed for the the overpayment for his RFA....with justification. But Shanahan and the other high priced executives were involved....couldn't they have guided the process through a better result for the Leafs.
Not many have ever said that Shanahan is a problem at MLSE and the Leafs...but maybe leadership has been poor in some critical areas in running the Leafs.
Babcock is a great Coach.
The Children were upset because he was mean.
Disgraceful.
p***yes.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Hard to take apart this article. Regardless of what Shanahan believes, he's certainly not going to air it out in public. He already made a big mistake when he went public after the Tavares signing and said, "the other players are going to have to take less to stay in Toronto." The best thing he can do is not say anything publicly that will haunt him.

That said, I think Shanahan believes the entire plan Dubas sold him. I think that's why he signed-off on Babcock's firing and Keefe's hiring. Shanahan is all-in with Dubas--it's his guy--so he isn't going to cut his legs out in public. If this whole thing doesn't work, one thing's for sure--Shanahan will be packing his bags as well.

But, yes, of course Shanahan has some say. He's not just an ambassador showing up to events and taking photo ops.
I dont for 1 second think Shanahan is happy
I agree with Simmons
But in that respect the board would like a few more home playoff dates
I think dubas future hinges on this last 13 games
I predict 8-5 not sure we make it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad