Speculation: Does Shanahan have any say in how this team is being run?

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
I remember all the clueless millennial's using words like 'face punchers' and 'goons' when talking about physical hockey vs Dubas' so-called "skill game".

It's been an uphill battle educating them in here.

Maybe Dad's right after all eh?

And YES Shanny is a co-conspirator. He hired both of them and signed off on this no-hit shinny type of product we're seeing. To his defense, Babcock doesn't have the right tools in his toobox to implement his system. He would like to have actual defensemen who play real defense, and a Zach Hymen on every line to name a few.

I think Kappy has the potential to be a skilled version of Hymen but he has to do it every game. I liked what I saw from him against Boston. If he could bring the heat a tad more I would be happy.

Can Marchment be that ferocious fore-checker like Hymen? IDK, I haven't seen him play yet, but have heard he is a physical pest type of grinder.

Oh God please stop saying Hymen, it's Hyman. A Hymen is a completely different thing than Zach Hyman.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Men can be idiots too. Just look at senseless road rage incidents.

No need for the masogynistic take.
Not being mysogynistic at at. I have 2 daughters and a son and anyone who parented and paid attention to the socialized dynamic of high schools, notice how conflicts are executed in different social groups. There have been countless movies commenting on it as well for those who arent familiar with the vast amount of psychological literature. Spare me the snowflake blinders.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How you played as a player has absolutely no bearing on how you will do as a gm/ how you construct your team. You see it all the time in every sport.

Shanahan had no front office experience. He has no experience evaluating talent. This is year 5 for Shanahan, yet he still gets a free pass. 5 years is an eternity in pro sports. 5 years without a playoff series win/ division title is unacceptable.

Shanahan is a politician, and he is great at playing that game. It’s bad that Shanahan has no experience and can’t evaluate talent. It gets magnified when you add his undeniable arrogance on top of that. He always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

All executives make mistakes... the most successful ones are the ones who can identify those mistakes, and move on quickly. Shanahan isn’t capable of that because of his ego.
He knows he is not the smartest guy in the room which is his genius. He never was even back at St Leos. You are talking about a C student here. and to make it to the top of hockey world you need a belief in yourself like no other. We don't have any Einsteins here in hockey. Probably why Bettman was able to take over. This is life in hockey. But Shanny knows how to surround himself with Dubie and Babs both A+ students. Funny how the C student manages the A+ guys though isn't it.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Where is Shanny these days? He has as much to do with the architecture of this team as Dubas does. He has to own this as well. We've come a long way from Randy Carlyle and Dave Nonis, and yet why are we so terrible? Getting rid of Lou was a huge mistake. Right now an incompetent GM is controlling our best talent/prospects in years to no success.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I want to know... Was Dubas his decision alone or was it Larry T, Rogers or Bell or all of the above?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Where is Shanny these days? He has as much to do with the architecture of this team as Dubas does. He has to own this as well. We've come a long way from Randy Carlyle and Dave Nonis, and yet why are we so terrible? Getting rid of Lou was a huge mistake. Right now an incompetent GM is controlling our best talent/prospects in years to no success.

Glad someone else is stepping up and saying this.

I haven't heard much about the "Shanaplan" since 2014. 6 years ago now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Weasel-man is on vacation.

Leave a message.

:naughty:
Our new press conference man:
upload_2020-2-23_15-18-36.jpeg

Reactions: Polaris1010

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It doesn't bother anyone that Brian Burke was more fit to be president than Shanahan?!?!

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
5 years as president with nothing to show for it. No division titles no playoff wins. Shanahan fired Carlyle when they were in a playoff spot, because the team was flawed. Now they’re barely clinging to a playoff spot, while being shut out for 25 mins by their 42 year old AHL Zamboni driver.

It’s been 5 years and the team is worse off than when he fired Randy. The Shanahan hire is a failure and he should be fired right when the season ends.

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
Shanahan hired Lou, Hunter and Babs. Old school guys with real hockey experience. He then gets rid of them all, and does a complete 180 in terms of his hires. It is mind numbing. The guy has absolutely no plan and no clue.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
first Shanahan hired the oldest and most experienced gm in hockey and one of the oldest and most experienced coaches in hockey. He then hired the youngest and least experienced gm in hockey followed by the youngest and least experienced coach in hockey. It's almost like he doesn't know what he wants.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
It funny the Leafs drafted the same way under Lou Lamoriello as they do now with Dubas! Tiny useless players and that's not Lou's style. I think there is another person or person's running this team! The Leafs need a new identity, more along the lines of Boston or Philly! We had that when Cliff Fletcher was running things, today there is definitely a trend to be a politically correct team in Toronto. All the players are soft the kind of players a REAL tough GM would NEVER draft. Sure one or two soft players are find BUT you can't win in the NHL with a ream full of sweethearts.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No, and he shouldn't have a say.

He hires the people and puts them into place, and then backs off (as he should, hopefully), and lets those people go about their business. No one wants someone else meddling in their affairs.

first Shanahan hired the oldest and most experienced gm in hockey and one of the oldest and most experienced coaches in hockey. He then hired the youngest and least experienced gm in hockey followed by the youngest and least experienced coach in hockey. It's almost like he doesn't know what he wants.

He knew exactly what he wanted:
  1. From the day Dubas signed with the Leafs, he was always going to eventually be future GM of the team.
  2. Lou was always going to be a stop-gap, so that Dubas could gain experience before he was given the role.
The way the organization has been run under both Lou and Dubas, has generally been the same. The only real thing that has changed, has been the overall view of how the roster should be constructed - Lou and Babcock had a synergy together in their views, and Dubas did not.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
5 years as president with nothing to show for it. No division titles no playoff wins. Shanahan fired Carlyle when they were in a playoff spot, because the team was flawed. Now they’re barely clinging to a playoff spot, while being shut out for 25 mins by their 42 year old AHL Zamboni driver.

It’s been 5 years and the team is worse off than when he fired Randy. The Shanahan hire is a failure and he should be fired right when the season ends.

If you honestly think theres no difference in this team and the assets it has in 2020 vs anytime in the 2004-2014 span, i don't know what to say...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It funny the Leafs drafted the same way under Lou Lamoriello as they do now with Dubas! Tiny useless players and that's not Lou's style. I think there is another person or person's running this team! The Leafs need a new identity, more along the lines of Boston or Philly! We had that when Cliff Fletcher was running things, today there is definitely a trend to be a politically correct team in Toronto. All the players are soft the kind of players a REAL tough GM would NEVER draft. Sure one or two soft players are find BUT you can't win in the NHL with a ream full of sweethearts.

The Leafs drafted a fair amount of low skill skating fridges in the 2nd-7th rounds in 2016/17. Seemingly on Lous influence as Hunter didnt act like that during 2015.

Imo one of the bigger what ifs in this teams recent history is how Hunter would have looked with another season away from Lou

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Ever notice how when some people grow old, there is a role reversal with couples? The husband starts to change into an old lady and vice versa for the wife. Shanny is starting to act like an old lady. He's lost his mojo.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

I'm not sure what this has to do with politically correctness.

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
If you honestly think theres no difference in this team and the assets it has in 2020 vs anytime in the 2004-2014 span, i don't know what to say...

Anyone can come in, tank and acquire high draft picks. Anyone can come in and make Mike Babcock the highest paid coach in league history. This is not impressive. The Dave Nonis/ Brian Burke built leafs had a 4-1 lead against Boston in GM7. That is closer than any Shanahan team has gotten.

He puts together a team of hockey people only to let them go, and then hand the team over to Kyle Dubas? LOL. We are seeing the results. Shanahan has not made a single shrewd move since he hired Lou. Shanahan is a snake oil salesman and he needs to go. He is nothing but a politician.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
100%. Dubas has mentioned multiple times that management is done by committee although he never mentioned Shanny specifically.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Yes, this is his mess and he should be relieved of his duties. His tank was well-executed, but the building process has been an absolute shitshow and now we have a team full of cowards.

Reactions: MJK

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
If you can fire Q after 3 Cups you can definitely fire Babcock after 3 1st round exits and a start not worthy of where this team should be heading.
Babs was done the minute they gave Dubas the job. Mixing oil and water of course didn't go well. Just stupidity.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad