Speculation: Does Shanahan have any say in how this team is being run?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think the answer clearly is: yes.

If that is true then why doesn't he look in the mirror or look at some old footage of his playing career?

He can't possibly think that the team he is president of is going to win in the playoffs with perimeter play and light stick checking.

Why can't he influence something here? He's got to knock Kyle and Mike's heads together!

He knows how to win even more so than the people that are under him!

Do something Shanny!!

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
We get back into the situation which is true all businesses. The executive that does the hiring (Shanahan) doesn't like to fire or at least curtail the decision making of the people he has hired. (Dubas, Babcock). It would be admitting an error.
Babcock isn't a good NHL coach. His game management is terrible. Players are getting discouraged with his decisions.
Dubas gets blamed for the the overpayment for his RFA....with justification. But Shanahan and the other high priced executives were involved....couldn't they have guided the process through a better result for the Leafs.
Not many have ever said that Shanahan is a problem at MLSE and the Leafs...but maybe leadership has been poor in some critical areas in running the Leafs.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
How you played as a player has absolutely no bearing on how you will do as a gm/ how you construct your team. You see it all the time in every sport.

Shanahan had no front office experience. He has no experience evaluating talent. This is year 5 for Shanahan, yet he still gets a free pass. 5 years is an eternity in pro sports. 5 years without a playoff series win/ division title is unacceptable.

Shanahan is a politician, and he is great at playing that game. It’s bad that Shanahan has no experience and can’t evaluate talent. It gets magnified when you add his undeniable arrogance on top of that. He always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.

All executives make mistakes... the most successful ones are the ones who can identify those mistakes, and move on quickly. Shanahan isn’t capable of that because of his ego.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Obviously, he hired the Coach and GM.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Shanahan's entire startegy since hes got here is to keep an eye on the longer term rather than short term. I dount hes happy with the cirrent state of things but dont expect any immediate reactionary major move

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
Shanahan's entire startegy since hes got here is to keep an eye on the longer term rather than short term. I dount hes happy with the cirrent state of things but dont expect any immediate reactionary major move

This is his 5th year, guy. He has lead the Leafs to absolutely nothing of significance. He has more resources at his disposal than any executive in the history of the NHL. He got to hire the highest paid coach in league history. 5 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. 0 series wins 0 division titles.

Shanahan doesn’t deserve another season if the Leafs don’t win a series or the division this year. 5 years is a long time in pro sports and it’s a what have you done for me lately league. Maybe just maybe, the guy who was hired with no front office experience is not good at his job.

Anyone can come in and tank for top picks, and give a coach $8 million a year for 8 years. What has he done to indicate that he has a clue?

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

The team has not looked good for a long time now. IT's maxed out on the cap, they couldn't get a single somewhat team friendly contract out of any of these guys. Also, the coach Shanny hired is not working out at the moment. He hires a young GM but doesn't give him full autonomy to hire his own coach? Does he trust Dubas or doesn't?

Reactions: Legendary

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This is his 5th year, guy. He has lead the Leafs to absolutely nothing of significance. He has more resources at his disposal than any executive in the history of the NHL. He got to hire the highest paid coach in league history. 5 years with absolutely nothing to show for it. 0 series wins 0 division titles.

Shanahan doesn’t deserve another season if the Leafs don’t win a series or the division this year.
5 years is a long time in pro sports and it’s a what have you done for me lately league. Maybe just maybe, the guy who was hired with no front office experience is not good at his job.

Anyone can come in and tank for top picks, and give a coach $8 million a year for 8 years. What has he done to indicate that he has a clue?
don't hold your breathe, we've seen this scenario happen too many times with this organization.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton

Shanahan doesn’t deserve another season if the Leafs don’t win a series or the division this year. 5 years is a long time in pro sports and it’s a what have you done for me lately league. Maybe just maybe, the guy who was hired with no front office experience is not good at his job.

Anyone who thinks Shanny should be fired at this point is extremely ignorant.

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
Anyone who thinks Shanny should be fired at this point is extremely ignorant.

I never once said Shanahan should be fired at “this point”. Clearly states if he doesn’t win the division or a playoff series this season.

If you’re going to call someone ignorant:

1) Read the post. Read it a 2nd time just to make sure.

2) State why you think that way.

So I’ll ask again. What has he done to show that he is capable of doing this job?

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Age changes men. As soon as shanny let out that stupid pr video last year to please the left I knew he was a lost cause. Nothing more than a corporate shill

Reactions: coupe93 and rumman

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Shanny is the president of the Leafs.
Unlike the NBA, the GM in the NHL runs the Hockey team.
Should he be held accountable, of course he does but I don’t think his job is insecure at this moment.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Lou had to go. But he really brought a sense of respect to the organization. I have a hard time believing Marner, Matthews, or Nylander ever would have gone so deep with their demands. Much more of a sense of the crest on the front than the name on the back when he was here. It was like immediately after he left the players started acting differently.

We don't need Lou, but maybe going to Dubas was too much of a polar opposite.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yes, Shanahan has a lot of say.

Like most good bosses, though, he is allowing his subordinate to function with autonomy. Shanahan hired Dubas to do a job, and he is letting him do that job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->