Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
He looked very good, but also very junior at times. He might make the team out of camp next year. This is a good opportunity for him to practice and train with the Leafs. He's not ready to hop into a playoff series though.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
He looked very good, but also very junior at times. He might make the team out of camp next year. This is a good opportunity for him to practice and train with the Leafs. He's not ready to hop into a playoff series though.

I think he should play. Reevaluate after each game. I haven't seen our third line look that good in a long while. I wouldn't break that up.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gotta keep that 3rd line together. It is all about chemistry now. Kappy and Kerfoot played awesome. Who knows if they play like that with Engval?

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I'd rather see Engvall on the fourth line with Spezza and Clifford, but I guess him and Gauthier are fairly interchangeable.
I’d like to see Robertson get in the first game and see where it goes from there. The way he played last night he definitely deserves a shot I think. I personally would rather see the goat play 4th line centre though, defensively he is a very good player, good size (although he doesn’t use it properly) and looked good yesterday when on the ice. You’re definitely right where really it doesn’t matter either way though, they are interchangeable. Engvall definitely is more offensive so maybe if leading or trailing the series could factor in as well.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think we should keep Gaut for playoffs. Big body, defensive presence, face-off ability and pk. I would take Gaut over Engvall and Robertson this time around.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Robertson doesn't play will this change peoples impression of Keefe?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I think we should keep Gaut for playoffs. Big body, defensive presence, face-off ability and pk. I would take Gaut over Engvall and Robertson this time around.

Engvall is:

a) just as big (6'5" to 6"5)
----
b) much better offensively (they actually played almost identical 5v5 minutes this season):
Points - 15 to 12
ixG (individual expected goals created) - 8.91 to 4.2
rel.TM xGF/60 (relative to the team, expected goals for - minus is bad) - -0.17 to -0.58
----
c) better defensively:
GF% (Goals for %) - 52.94% to 44.67%
rel.TM xGA/60 (relative to team, expected goals against - minus is good) - -0.29 to -0.16
----
d) worse on faceoffs:
Engvall - 39%
Gauthier - 54.7%
Spezza - 54%
----
e) much MUCH better on the PK:
FA/60 (unblocked shot attempts against per 60 minutes) - 55.24 to 83.47
xGA/60 (expected goals against per 60 minutes) - 4.59 to 7.66
GA/60 (actual goals against per 60 minutes) - 4.93 to 11.77
----

Gauthier is a net negative player 5v5, that is also one of the worst penalty killers in the league. Engvall arguably the best penalty killer in the entire league this past season, while being a net positive 5v5 player. If you'd like to keep Gauthier in due to faceoffs, that's your own perogitive, but lets not pretend like he's going to give us anything positive outside of that.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
If Robertson doesn't play will this change peoples impression of Keefe?

Nah. It's the wrong move, but it's understandable to not play an 18 year old who has never played a professional game over a guy that actually has a positive defensive impact. It's not like we're really hoping for any offensive contribution from our 4th line anyway.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Engvall is:

----
b) much better offensively (they actually played almost identical 5v5 minutes this season):
Points - 15 to 12
rel.TM xGF/60 (relative to the team, expected goals for - minus is bad) - -0.17 to -0.58
----
c) better defensively:
rel.TM xGA/60 (relative to team, expected goals against - minus is good) - -0.29 to -0.16
----
d) worse on faceoffs:
Engvall - 39%
Gauthier - 54.7%
Spezza - 54%
----
----

Gauthier is a net negative player 5v5, that is also one of the worst penalty killers in the league. Engvall arguably the best penalty killer in the entire league this past season, while being a net positive 5v5 player. If you'd like to keep Gauthier in due to faceoffs, that's your own perogitive, but lets not pretend like he's going to give us anything positive outside of that.

Well said.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Engvall is:

----
Points - 15 to 12
----
c) better defensively:
----
d) worse on faceoffs:
Engvall - 39%
Gauthier - 54.7%
Spezza - 54%
----
----

package that up and send it home. As far as I'm concerned you've just answered this question. Engvall >> Gauthier.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Pretty sure he's made the team. He obviously has the skill.

I think the only argument for him not making it is: In the playoffs especially against a tight checking team, its not your offensive talent that wins you games, its the mistakes that break games. And I'm not sure what would happen if he makes a mistake that costs us an early game. Whether you leave him in or out after that the fans could get in his head. Its more likely he makes a mistake that costs us than he wins us the series.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Nah. It's the wrong move, but it's understandable to not play an 18 year old who has never played a professional game over a guy that actually has a positive defensive impact. It's not like we're really hoping for any offensive contribution from our 4th line anyway.
and if Engvall sits instead of Gauthier?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
and if Engvall sits instead of Gauthier?

I think that would be an even bigger lapse in judgement, especially with how on the same page I believe Dubas and Keefe are (and how big a proponent in advanced stats we think Dubas is).

I'd be unhappy about it, as I'd probably rank them Engvall >= Robby >> Gauthier, but my opinion on Keefe wouldn't change. He hasn't made enough "bad" decisions for me to think it's a pattern, and it's not like Engvall tore the world apart in scrimmage/exhibition for me to even believe he's the identical player he was during the regular season.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I think that would be an even bigger lapse in judgement, especially with how on the same page I believe Dubas and Keefe are (and how big a proponent in advanced stats we think Dubas is).

I'd be unhappy about it, as I'd probably rank them Engvall >= Robby >> Gauthier, but my opinion on Keefe wouldn't change. He hasn't made enough "bad" decisions for me to think it's a pattern, and it's not like Engvall tore the world apart in scrimmage/exhibition for me to even believe he's the identical player he was during the regular season.
That’s fair.
Really not sure what they will do and I’m betting they change their minds a few times before Sunday.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad