Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who would you pick?
Hard to say since we haven’t seen them play all that much.
If Robertson affects Kerfoot that much he’s in. Engvall seems more inconsistent to me, Goat you know what you get. I’d probably start with Goat and give Engvall game 2 and re-assess.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think that would be an even bigger lapse in judgement, especially with how on the same page I believe Dubas and Keefe are (and how big a proponent in advanced stats we think Dubas is).

I'd be unhappy about it, as I'd probably rank them Engvall >= Robby >> Gauthier, but my opinion on Keefe wouldn't change. He hasn't made enough "bad" decisions for me to think it's a pattern, and it's not like Engvall tore the world apart in scrimmage/exhibition for me to even believe he's the identical player he was during the regular season.
These are last 3 pieces on team and quite frankly none of these guys is going to be getting any real minutes in a playoff game ... they won't affect outcome of series ... i like robertson first but only because he seems to be a good fit for kerfoot and kappy which as a line really was quite impressive ... whether it is engval or goat i could care less ... engval played like a superstar for first few games and then dropped off a cliff after his contract got signed

Reactions: Mad hatter

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I thought Robertson looked fantastic against Montreal for his debut. He's a really smart, hardworking little sparkplug out there (reminiscent to me of Moore in '19, Johnsson in '18, Kapanen in '17), with a bunch of talent and high-end skill that we've seen.

To me, he's exactly what you want in your bottom six against Columbus. The Blue Jackets' game, especially in their bottom six, is no risk, ultra conservative. Putting Gauthier in the lineup doesn't challenge that at all, and while it makes it less likely we get scored against, it also makes it less of a challenge for Torts to get exactly what he wants to get out of the bottom six matchup.

On the flip side, with Robertson in the lineup, you have a guy with the ability to break open the game in the bottom six, and do some damage while the Jackets try to play it safe, and contain. He's higher risk, but higher reward. I think also, as a rookie (and just a hard-working, motivated athlete in general), he will bring a great work ethic and spark of energy to the lineup. I always love having a rookie like that in the bottom six (as pointed out above, with Moore, Johnsson, Kapanen in successive years).

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Engvall is:

a) just as big (6'5" to 6"5)
----
b) much better offensively (they actually played almost identical 5v5 minutes this season):
Points - 15 to 12
ixG (individual expected goals created) - 8.91 to 4.2
rel.TM xGF/60 (relative to the team, expected goals for - minus is bad) - -0.17 to -0.58
----
c) better defensively:
GF% (Goals for %) - 52.94% to 44.67%
rel.TM xGA/60 (relative to team, expected goals against - minus is good) - -0.29 to -0.16
----
d) worse on faceoffs:
Engvall - 39%
Gauthier - 54.7%
Spezza - 54%
----
e) much MUCH better on the PK:
FA/60 (unblocked shot attempts against per 60 minutes) - 55.24 to 83.47
xGA/60 (expected goals against per 60 minutes) - 4.59 to 7.66
GA/60 (actual goals against per 60 minutes) - 4.93 to 11.77
----

Gauthier is a net negative player 5v5, that is also one of the worst penalty killers in the league. Engvall arguably the best penalty killer in the entire league this past season, while being a net positive 5v5 player. If you'd like to keep Gauthier in due to faceoffs, that's your own perogitive, but lets not pretend like he's going to give us anything positive outside of that.
Was going to say something to the effect of Engvall > Gauthier, but this pretty much sums it up. The faceoff thing is also far less of an issue when you have a natural centre who is excellent at faceoffs (Spezza) on the fourth line as well.

Engvall is a much more talented player, and while Gauthier plays a safe game, making the choice of safe over good is playing right into Columbus' hands...and besides, it isn't like Engvall is exactly a high risk choice anyways.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think with Robertson you have a determined, skilled player, but he also showed some smart plays, with good awareness of where his teammates were. That is the key thing that’s going to get him in the lineup. Unfortunately it’s just one game, so you’re hoping what you saw is what he brings every game.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Was going to say something to the effect of Engvall > Gauthier, but this pretty much sums it up. The faceoff thing is also far less of an issue when you have a natural centre who is excellent at faceoffs (Spezza) on the fourth line as well.

Engvall is a much more talented player, and while Gauthier plays a safe game, making the choice of safe over good is playing right into Columbus' hands...and besides, it isn't like Engvall is exactly a high risk choice anyways.
Engvall didn't take a single face-off last night.

Reactions: 67Leafs67

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
For me the most encouraging sign was he was processing the game at speed. If he's doing that now, soon the game will slow down for him and he will be a very good player.
Not a shabby 2nd round pick

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He was lined up a few times last night from what I read and replays I saw... worried that someone with his tenacity but small size and experience may end up with a serious injury. Kinda sucks when the most tenacious guy on your team outside of Clifford is an 18 year old rookie. Sure it’s an exhibition game... but nobody is kidding anyone here, this team severely lacks players with tenacity ingrained into their DNA.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
He definitely deserves to from how he played last night. I say play him until he looks out of place then make adjustments if needed

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Players Robertson will be going up against (for the most part):

Nyquist, Wennberg, Foudy, Eric Robinson, Riley Nash, Emil Bemstrom.

Robertson is playing. Keefe won't pass up a shooter with Kaps legs as the third line against jackets weak bottom 6.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He was lined up a few times last night from what I read and replays I saw... worried that someone with his tenacity but small size and experience may end up with a serious injury. Kinda sucks when the most tenacious guy on your team outside of Clifford is an 18 year old rookie. Sure it’s an exhibition game... but nobody is kidding anyone here, this team severely lacks players with tenacity ingrained into their DNA.
Though I'm tellin you sire, Muzzin and Hy-Man is up there sire. They doin that dirt bigg tyme. Hyman can faceoff with any sucka in the game. He one tough cookie. We hard now mayne. Movin thangs and doing thangs. If some sucka will do dirt on us, clifford, muzzin and hyman gon step up like fred astaire.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Though I'm tellin you sire, Muzzin and Hy-Man is up there sire. They doin that dirt bigg tyme. Hyman can faceoff with any sucka in the game. He one tough cookie. We hard now mayne. Movin thangs and doing thangs. If some sucka will do dirt on us, clifford, muzzin and hyman gon step up like fred astaire.

Your right about Muzzin and Hyman. Would be great to add another workhorse like Hyman into the top 6.

Reactions: Coachcorner

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Pop that thang.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Robertson will start vs Columbus imo. The writing is also on the wall for Johnsson to be traded in the offseason. Robertson and Johnsson are not 4th liners, one has to go and its Johnsson. They are kind of similar players. That 3rd line needs a shooter as Kerfoot and Kapanen are pass first bias players. Robertson has to pass the test without the puck to stick around, not let your man go, backcheck and avoid taking big hits. He did well avoiding full on collisions when it appeared one could be possible in the corners a few times. He will get more evasive with each game when it comes to avoiding big hits.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
For me the most encouraging sign was he was processing the game at speed. If he's doing that now, soon the game will slow down for him and he will be a very good player.
Not a shabby 2nd round pick

He competes and wins puck battles, that's the most encouraging thing for me, having the puck on your stick solves a lot of problems and makes him easier to insert into the lineup

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Robertson made the team. That doesn’t mean he will be in the lineup every game. I think (very personal opinion) If he plays with enough effect offensively and plays perfect defensively he will stay in. If he impacts games offensively and has the odd defensive mistake he will stay in. If he has no offensive impact and is becoming a liability defensively or shows (frustration) he will be changed out.
All that crap said, i think he will be a good 3 zone player. I believe he already has a good head for the game. When this kid is playing at 185 lbs he will be a beast. Thats the weight he will need to play at to be strong enough for the 5’9” frame. A couple years from now we have a player. Right now we have a project i have no illusion on that. Really looking forward to watching Robertson development.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I have seen lots of posts here mentioning his skating as his main weakness. Well, what can I say, I was really surprised. The kid was flying south-north, backcheck-forecheck.

So I don't know where they got that information, but thank god they were wrong.
This kid is for real, and that shot is ridiculous, but we already knew that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad