Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's way too early too say either way.
If he has a great camp and is one of our best 12 forwards, he should play 100%.
We could always start the series with him in the lineup and if the game looks too fast for him, take him out.
His upside and goal scoring ability could really be a factor in a short series but again would also need to show defensive responsibility.

For who would come out of the lineup? My guess would be Gauthier.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's way too early too say either way.
If he has a great camp and is one of our best 12 forwards, he should play 100%.
We could always start the series with him in the lineup and if the game looks too fast for him, take him out.
His upside and goal scoring ability could really be a factor in a short series but again would also need to show defensive responsibility.

For who would come out of the lineup? My guess would be Gauthier.

Yep.

Imo of he looks ready he plays. I dont think the team sitting the Goat will be much of a loss

Reactions: weems

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think someone above him will have to play their way out of the lineup more than he'll have to play his way in. And that someone is basically narrowed down to Engvall.

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I'd rather him buzzing around than Gauthier or Engvall.

Having an internal competition for that 3/4 line RW spot will be great for the team.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Throwing a young player with zero NHL experience into a critical playoffs series*, esp. against a Torts-coached team? On the roster, just to take in the experience, sure, but I really don't expect him getting any playing time unless a) he really rips it in camp and b) injuries.

* I get that all playoff series are critical, but for a cap-challenged Leafs team that paid out 10s of millions to its young stars and has lost 3 straight opening rounds, it's more critical than most.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If he's to bump anyone I'd think it'd be the Goat. That said...I think the Goat stays for PK and faceoffs. So im not sure. I think it's valuable experience for him to be around the group. But I don't see him making the roster outside of an injury or we're down 2-0 in the series and Keefe wants to inject some life. Just my opinion though. I'm high on this kid, just not sure it happens this playoffs

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Who the he’ll knows. I don’t think anyone has the right to say he can’t just because they feel like it. Just like I can’t say as he will. I want to say he will.
Since everyone takes everything away because of no expierence i will just say this, the shot,the energy and the commitment are expierence. He plays solid defensively and doesn’t make mistakes on coverage i say he plays. It’s all about being able to keep the pace physically and mentally

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No one here can answer this.
Very true, but I think the chances of a 5'9", 164-pound almost-19-year-old jumping from the Peterborough Petes to the Toronto Maple Leafs after one exhibition game for a five-game elimination series would have to be pretty remote.

If he makes it they should give him #99 or something.

I would be very surprised -- and impressed :)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Throwing a young player with zero NHL experience into a critical playoffs series*, esp. against a Torts-coached team? On the roster, just to take in the experience, sure, but I really don't expect him getting any playing time unless a) he really rips it in camp and b) injuries.

* I get that all playoff series are critical, but for a cap-challenged Leafs team that paid out 10s of millions to its young stars and has lost 3 straight opening rounds, it's more critical than most.
I don't know that I would recommend that path of player development in very general terms either.

He's not Freddy Boimistruck, for sure, and he's probably not another Connor McDavid either -- but somewhere in between.

I would be thinking of the effect on his career if gives the puck away or loses a puck battle in a way that adversely affects the outcome of the series.

It could be a long wait for redemption.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
If he's to bump anyone I'd think it'd be the Goat. That said...I think the Goat stays for PK and faceoffs. So im not sure. I think it's valuable experience for him to be around the group. But I don't see him making the roster outside of an injury or we're down 2-0 in the series and Keefe wants to inject some life. Just my opinion though. I'm high on this kid, just not sure it happens this playoffs

Who cares about Gauthier's PK'ing or faceoff ability.

Leafs are a great faceoff team, with or without Gauthier.

I could do without seeing him lumber around the PK as well. He's the definition of replaceable.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I could do without seeing him lumber around the PK as well. He's the definition of replaceable.
25 years old, 6’5 240 lb, good feet, good defensively, good face-offs. On pace to triple his goal scoring pace from his first full season.

definitely a bunch of those guys lying around free agency.

With Clifford on his line, Gauthier being a year older and having a post season under his belt. I’m hoping Gauthier will feel more confident using his big body this post season. His physical presence could be very beneficial to us.

also I am a little concerned with Robertson getting injured. Small, physical player, big heart.... stepping into a physical conference, during the most physical games of the year. A big injury early in his career could mess with his development. Love having him around the atmosphere and the team... we can afford to be patient and safe. I’m leaning towards being careful. That is unless he is absolutely mind boggling right now.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No I don't see it. They have plenty of proven NHL scorers. If they need more offense it is easy enough to double shift any of the big 4. It would be nice to have him practice with the big club but there is no margin for error fr any rookie mistakes he might make. If you could add some kind of physical or defensive beast to the line you maybe tinker but that isnt likely to be any 19 year old.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Unless one or two of the top LW go down I don't see it.

Loves the kid but unless he's in the top 9 might as well bring guys like Agostino that can plug anywhere.

Reactions: kb

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Engvall is looking over his shoulder. Competition for 3LW will help the team.

Leafs will have to exploit this advantage in offensive firepower. PP will need to be clicking and Roberstson could give PP2 a boost.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Until Johnsson is healthy we have 8 pretty clear top 9 forwards, so for a 3rd line spot he's basically got to be better than Engvall or Spezza. That's definitely doable and a 4th line of Engvall, Spezza, Clifford is just fine.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Until Johnsson is healthy we have 8 pretty clear top 9 forwards, so for a 3rd line spot he's basically got to be better than Engvall or Spezza. That's definitely doable and a 4th line of Engvall, Spezza, Clifford is just fine.

This is what I think as well. Have Spezza take the draw, and Engvall is otherwise the centre defensively.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
In a healthy roster, maybe. He can push out another young player like Engvall or Gauthier. I doubt they push Spezza or Clifford out of the lineup for him unless the other guys have also really stepped up. Of course, if he's good enough he'll force his way in to any of the lines. If he absolutely pops off and proves that he's ready to be an NHL star today he could play as high as the JT line and the coaching staff will figure out how to put him there.

If we go deep, there will likely be spots due to injuries, which will also carve space in the roster for him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
25 years old, 6’5 240 lb, good feet, good defensively, good face-offs. On pace to triple his goal scoring pace from his first full season.

definitely a bunch of those guys lying around free agency.

With Clifford on his line, Gauthier being a year older and having a post season under his belt. I’m hoping Gauthier will feel more confident using his big body this post season. His physical presence could be very beneficial to us.

also I am a little concerned with Robertson getting injured. Small, physical player, big heart.... stepping into a physical conference, during the most physical games of the year. A big injury early in his career could mess with his development. Love having him around the atmosphere and the team... we can afford to be patient and safe. I’m leaning towards being careful. That is unless he is absolutely mind boggling right now.

He doesn't play a physical game
I'd rather see Roberston play over him

Reactions: ToMaLe

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Agreed, I've always been of the opinion that Matthews or JT should be taking PK draws to ice the puck and then GTFO the ice. They both are very good on faceoffs and goat is replacement level as you say.

We can already assume our top six so if your looking at the bottom six constructed out of the following:
Engvall-Kerfoot-Kappy
Clifford-Spezza-Goat-Malgin-Robertson-Brooks-Korshkov-Agostino

I personally would choose almost any other guy on that list over Goat, who brings faceoff ability and that's about it. His size is irrelevant as he doesn't use it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad