Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Only issue with subbing out Goat is I thought he was going to take faceoffs on the PK?

We all know what happened last year when we couldn't win a PK faceoff. Do you think we bring out Tavares for big PK draws this series?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Only issue with subbing out Goat is I thought he was going to take faceoffs on the PK?

We all know what happened last year when we couldn't win a PK faceoff. Do you think we bring out Tavares for big PK draws this series?

I don't think it's a big deal. Gauthier was usually a 2nd unit PK'er, and he was only slightly above average on the PK draw at 47.01%. Not much of an upgrade over Hyman's 43.08 and probably not worth him being a detriment on the ice at 5v5. If we have to throw Spezza or Tavares over the boards for an important draw we can.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don't think it's a big deal. Gauthier was usually a 2nd unit PK'er, and he was only slightly above average on the PK draw at 47.01%. Not much of an upgrade over Hyman's 43.08 and probably not worth him being a detriment on the ice at 5v5. If we have to throw Spezza or Tavares over the boards for an important draw we can.

Spezza as a pker seems like a terrible idea. If he loses the draw he's absolutely a detriment out there.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I like Robertson taking Gauthier's spot instead of Engvall's. Robertson can go the same path as our other rookies have. Kapanen came up and played fourth line against Washington. Johnsson came up and played fourth line against Boston. Moore came up and played fourth line against Boston. Get him some PP2 time too. What a great 4th line for an 18 year old rookie to join too. Two vets on it. A skilled guy in Spezza he can work with, and Spezza will definitely coach him up on the bench too. And a tough guy in Clifford to make Robertson likely feel a little more comfortable. I know he's a skilled guy, but I think 4th line might be the best place to start

Reactions: Havoc

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I don't mind Robertson taking the Goats spot, but IMO he's better suited for 3rd line duty. Spezz moves to C on the 4th line, Engvall 4th line LW.

Reactions: supermann_98

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Somebody will get hurt or sick or COVID so it is good we have this kid ready and sounds like he could be helpful. Put him on 2nd 3rd and 4th lines and be ready when our first injury hits. And play him in EX game on 3rd line so he can gain a little experience. But I doubt he knocks off either Goat or Engval for 1st real game. But then again if Keefe thinks he has earned it then more power to him.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It looks to me like their plan is to use Robertson. There is no doubt in my mind that he currently holds a roster spot.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
So pumped to hear about the impact he's made so far. If he can match Hyman's level of effort and compete, that'll set a great example throughout the lineup.

I agree that he's better suited for 3rd line duties, but Engvall should definitely stay in the lineup over Goat.

Reactions: Havoc

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Somebody will get hurt or sick or COVID so it is good we have this kid ready and sounds like he could be helpful. Put him on 2nd 3rd and 4th lines and be ready when our first injury hits. And play him in EX game on 3rd line so he can gain a little experience. But I doubt he knocks off either Goat or Engval for 1st real game. But then again if Keefe thinks he has earned it then more power to him.

I think the bolded would be highly unlikely once everyone is in the bubble. Even now, the odds are small outside in around TO.

Agreed with everything else you said. It would be pretty ballsy of Keefe to start with the kid but I could easily see a scenario playing out as you framed it.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Keefe is between the benches. If he likes what he sees I dont see why he would not play the kid. I could see Robertson play on lines 1-4 honestly.

I never got play the heavier players on the 4th line ideal. Your more likely to score with a better player even if hes a "high skilled" one on the 4th line then a plug. If hes solid let him play. Plus hes scrapy and tenacious, should be fine on the 4th line.

Keefe is behind the bench, Millen and/or Ferraro are between the benches

jus sayin, but I knew what you meant

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Isn't he just watching the same twitter clips like the rest of us? I'm not sure how anyone other than the coaching staff can have that kind of opinion.
I'm almost certain that as a former NHLer, Leaf Alum., and dedicated Leafs reporter, twitter is the last place Mike has to go for info

If Kerfoot is 3C and Spezza is 4C. GOAT is playing wing and Engvall is better than him.

as is Robertson and Robertson according to Keefe(judging by his line assigments) has outplayed the giraffe to this point

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Columbus will prove to be a physical challenge for Robertson. But, I get no sense that he'd be one to back down. Does he fit with the needs of the team? Does his inexperience/size prove to be too detrimental? My head says he won't be on the roster for the series against Columbus. My heart disagrees. We know he can score, his addition to the second PP would improve it immensely, he's a buzzsaw, skating all the time, he'd be THE goal scoring threat on our 3rd line - with due respect to Kappy and Kerfoot - lining up against him would be Bemstrom, a player with 56 games of experience. Who's going to be more nervous, less complete? I've always liked Jenner, but this year suggests that his effectiveness is lessening. Does Kerfoot provide adequate measure against him at C? Can Kerfoot hold his own...I think/hope so. And I think Foligno has to pay more attention to Kapanen than Kappy to Foligno: the increasing grit factor since Clifford arrived and the speed, that speed man! So Kap/Foligno I favor Kappy. Jenner/Kerfoot I think/hope a draw. Leaving Bemstrom/Robertson: games mean very little here, it's skill v skill, desire v desire, fear v fear (of success and failure) and unless those who follow our kid more than do I have been lying through their teeth, I can't see how NR doesn't come out on top. 3rd line v 3rd line, the Leafs, on paper, look better to me should Nick make the grade. I'd throw him to the wolves and see what he's got. Double shift Nylander if Robertson begins to go dizzy, giving him a chance to calm down. Nylander/Kerfoot/Kapanen a few shifts a game wouldn't scare me against most 3rd lines in the league, heck, Hyman could go a shift or two as well. There's going to be changes all over the place, if Torts has his way, trying to keep Keefe off balance. So Nick, I raise a glass to your promotion and wish you well, don't let me down (gawd, what a Leafian fan thing to say :confused:).
Nylander/Matthews/Hyman
Mikky/JT/Marner
Robertson/Kerfoot/Kapanen
Clifford/Engvall/Spezza
Looks like you nailed the qualifier line up there champ ;)

Reactions: meefer

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So he'll likely play the 3rd line for the exhibition game against Montreal. If he looks like he can keep up, he'll stay there. If he looks lost, he'll probably be demoted to the 4th line

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Robertson essentially replaces Johnsson. What an opportunity for him though. I hope he can quickly turn some heads and make some form of difference.
Johnsson is 3.4 mil we likely try and move next year. That becomes even more so if Robertson can be what we're all hoping

Reactions: Menzinger

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Honestly always should have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad