Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Cliffords season might be over if Robertson makes the team and nobody else gets injured.

Engvall is more valuable.

just off the top my head....hyman/mats/marner, mik/tavares/nylander, robertson/kerfoot/kapanen, johnsson/spezza/engvall???

Is that top 12 even fair lol. Johnsson eats other teams bottom 6'es for breakfast when he's healthy.

edit- ignore this if AJ isn't ready to go. haven't checked

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Cliffords season might be over if Robertson makes the team and nobody else gets injured.

just off the top my head....hyman/mats/marner, mik/tavares/nylander, robertson/kerfoot/kapanen, johnsson/spezza/engvall???

Is that top 12 even fair lol. Johnsson eats other teams bottom 6'es for breakfast when he's healthy.

Clifford will be in the lineup 1000%

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
You can tell he has heart and doesnt care he’s only an 18 year old. Damn good hockey player too. I have a feeling he cracks the lineup for game 1.
That's the general feel that I get too, if I had to try and put it into words. The moment isn't too big for him. It's not just a "good experience" that he's trying to soak in. He's going for the throat here..he's playing for keeps..and he want to be there August 2nd

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Two days in a row Robertson is playing on the main squad, in the top 9, with no reports of injuries to other forwards? Outside of a positive test/injury between now and then I find it hard to believe he won't be suiting up game 1:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Soup-Tavares-Marner
Robertson-Kerfoot-Kap
Clifford-Spezza-Goat

Reilly-Ceci
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Barrie

Andersen
Campbell

Reactions: Chief keefe

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Looking more and more like he is going to be given the opportunity to at least get a look in one game. I would not have predicted that at the start of Phase III. Good for him!!
Love seeing some depth that creates competition for starting spots.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes

Something happened to Engvall after he played a few games. I can't remember when but his play just tailed off. He was either hurt or stopped giving that extra effort racing to pucks. He seemed like he was on cruise control.. He didn't do much his last 20 or so games. If he is still playing with that effort, he is a extra and plug in Robertson imo

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Clifford will be in the lineup 1000%

Decided to finally check. AJ doesn't look ready so you're right.

I doubt it's 100000% if AJ was good to go and Robertson made the team though. But not worth debating because each version is good.

I personally prefer Engvall over Clifford.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Engvall is practicing with the Black Aces not Clifford. Clifford will be playing as sure as gravity.
Kappy respects what clifford Has brough to the team in a short period at the bottom of this Robertson keeps sticking around with Maple Leafs

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Isn't he just watching the same twitter clips like the rest of us? I'm not sure how anyone other than the coaching staff can have that kind of opinion.
It's how they watch they watch the clips.
I'm sure a few here could explain how it's done.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Isn't he just watching the same twitter clips like the rest of us? I'm not sure how anyone other than the coaching staff can have that kind of opinion.

Yet there is a whole thread full of people that aren't on the coaching staff with an opinions on this.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That's the general feel that I get too, if I had to try and put it into words. The moment isn't too big for him. It's not just a "good experience" that he's trying to soak in. He's going for the throat here..he's playing for keeps..and he want to be there August 2nd

His discipline and drive are unparalleled on this team. He may be the exact spark the character on this team has been missing, outside of Hyman of course.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I am starting to get hype about Robertson making the team.

I loved Engvall but he's not exactly a great forechecker and his shot is miles behind Robertson's.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Does the Goat play it well though? Hes extremely mediocre in every area of the game. If he were 5'11 he'd be in the ECHL by now.

This is a Robertson thread, so not really the time or place to get into this... but he's a fourth line C, you don't often get All Stars in such positions, earning league minimums. He's a low event player, year after year, with one of the Lowest GA/60 on the team, despite 70%+ starts in the Dzone. With all of these starts in the Dzone, he hovers around 55% FO wins, and is a team leader in hits/60. He even blocks shots at a decent rate. Even his ESP/60 isn't terrible... He's a non-flashy, defensive player, and the puck doesn't end up in the back of our net, as often when he's on the ice, as when others are on the ice. That has value, and he's not mediocre in every area of the game.

Roberston potentially making this team, is a great for the team long-term. If he's good enough now, and he can only improve, he'll be pushing his way up the lineup soon enough. That being said, he was never going to be replacing a fourth line C, who is defensively strong. He was going to replace another forward, in the top 9, who he is better than. Engvall is not a C, at least not NHL level yet, and certainly isn't ready to be the one relied on defensively. Goat shouldn't have ever been part of this conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Robertson can hold his own and Johnsson is nearing readiness another point in his favour is that in terms of chemistry he's a much closer match as a stop gap.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad