Speculation: Does Nick Robertson make the roster for return to play?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If Toronto loses the series, and Robertson doesn't see any ice, does that make you question Keefe/Dubas/Shanny?

Would certainly make for an interesting "what-if" conversation around here.
there is no interesting "what if"

CB was sitting as the #14 overall team in the league ,,a middle of the league team (kinda hohum)

IF a 19 year old who has never played a pro level game against men would be considered the make it or brake it player against a middle of the pack team is a pretty sad testament to the state of the Leafs.

IF we lose this series , then i would argue we have way way way more bigger tougher topics to debate then a 19 year old from the OHL.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's funny how people are saying the same thing about Robertson, that was said about Marner. He can't handle the physicality! He's an injury waiting to happen! Blah Blah. This kid is going to have a great career, he is a fighter and has been doing it since birth. He may never be 200 lbs, but he can handle the physicality of the game.
I have 0 interest in finding out if you are right in a 5 game knock out series as his first games against men at the pro level.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's funny how people are saying the same thing about Robertson, that was said about Marner. He can't handle the physicality! He's an injury waiting to happen! Blah Blah. This kid is going to have a great career, he is a fighter and has been doing it since birth. He may never be 200 lbs, but he can handle the physicality of the game.
Not nearly the same situation though.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
By all accounts, despite his size, he has been the most tenacious forward at camp. If he keeps it up, he will make Keefe's decision much more difficult than initially anticipated.

Reactions: Ciao and SAMCRO44

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
By all accounts, despite his size, he has been the most tenacious forward at camp. If he keeps it up, he will make Keefe's decision much more difficult than initially anticipated.
Players play at different paces in camp. It seems like he’s trying his hardest to make it though

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
upload_2020-7-20_21-26-15.jpeg

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
How does this affect his elc? If it burns a year we are crazy to do it. why sign engvall for 1.25?

In a relatively flat cap if we burn a year

We would have rielly/Campbell going to ufa and

sandin/robertson/kappy as rfa.

just dumb

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Robertson is certainly trying to make a case for himself. It's tricky territory. Do you burn a year off his ELC and go for the cup? Absolutely if you think it makes a big difference. Should an 18 year old raw rookie be the difference between cup or bust? Likely not. Definitely ok either way this turns out. August 2nd can't come soon enough

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They’ll dress who they feel make up the best 20.
Yes, they will be trying to win in 3 years.

and having to pay Robertson big bucks the same year you are trying to extend rielly and sandin sounds really dumb.

the odds that the leafs win the cup are Low. Right now. Add to that the odds
Of Robertson being the difference between cup/no cup.

very low.

the odds of the cap being not much different than 81.5 are high. What will the cap be in 3 years? 84 maybe?

The odds of having to pay Robertson more than 850k in 3 years are incredibly high.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Great to hear both he and Mik are lighting it up in phase 3 camp. I doubt he will usurp Engvall for 3rd line LW spot but if he does then more power to him. 4th line will be Cliff, Goat and Spezza. Cliff may move around a bit depending how CBJ's decide to pay us. But only if someone needs to get knocked out. Lets hope we don't see another Cliff knocking out Ferland/Foligno situation. It is never good to see a guy fight out of weight class. But glad we have him as a deterrent.

Reactions: ACC1224 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Great to hear both he and Mik are lighting it up in phase 3 camp. I doubt he will usurp Engvall for 3rd line LW spot but if he does then more power to him. 4th line will be Cliff, Goat and Spezza. Cliff may move around a bit depending how CBJ's decide to pay us. But only if someone needs to get knocked out. Lets hope we don't see another Cliff knocking out Ferland/Foligno situation. It is never good to see a guy fight out of weight class. But glad we have him as a deterrent.
The games were a lot quieter once Clifford was on the team. That is the true value of a deterrent. The players were more able to play their games, and players like Kapanen grew a few inches too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
and Robertson is going to make that difference now? As an 18 year old?

will we not be trying to win in 3 years?
Thats what they are trying to evaluate right. If he is a factor and has a greater effect to a large enough degree and can process the game fast enough defensively you make a decision if he plays over Gauthier for starters.
How he paces defensively is likely what they are really taking a considerable look at. We know he has offensive skills and skills period.
He is a wildcard to be playing the left side with Kerf and Kappy on the third line. That would be a energy line that can score too.
He looks like there is a possibility fir 3rd line left wing here for him.
Just to reiterate. Only if he is sound defensively will he make that line.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
How does this affect his elc? If it burns a year we are crazy to do it. why sign engvall for 1.25?

In a relatively flat cap if we burn a year

We would have rielly/Campbell going to ufa and

sandin/robertson/kappy as rfa.

just dumb
It counts if he plays his 10 games. I see where you are concerned too.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The games were a lot quieter once Clifford was on the team. That is the true value of a deterrent. The players were more able to play their games, and players like Kapanen grew a few inches too.
It’s been good. The cheap shots will still be there just because they always will. When it’s easy and nobody replies to it there are more. I believe it gives a team more confidence when they are seeing cowards not replying because of no fault of their own that they are yellow, they’re just yellow. Cliffords not yellow. I would rather take a beating than be yellow when i played. My choice, not the smartest hut it made me feel good ha.

Reactions: kb

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
and Robertson is going to make that difference now? As an 18 year old?

will we not be trying to win in 3 years?

I don't know dude, maybe you should ask the coaches and the GM who watch him play everyday?

I have a feeling they know better than you, but who am I to say...

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Alright, I'm on the hype train.

Roberton is playing and he's gonna be an immediate impact.

Write that down and smoke it

Reactions: Havoc

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
He's definitely a possibility, especially after the kind of training camp/scrimmage performances he's been putting up. He looks really good, and by all accounts he is one of the hardest working, most determined young prospects in the NHL. He's now been slotted onto the third line LW with Kerfoot and Kapanen for two straight days of camp now.

He's the kind of player who has the speed, skill, and creativity to overcome a systems advantage that Columbus might have. At the same time, he's young and inexperienced enough in professional hockey that a more experienced, defensively apt winger like Engvall or Clifford might be the better choice. Depends on how the first game or two go, and what the Leafs feel they need to close out the series.

One thing is for sure though, I don't underestimate him because of his lack of experience. Fifty five goals in forty six OHL games is nothing to sniff at. Remembering what Matthews and Marner were able to do as teenagers in 2016-17 gives me confidence that Robertson could absolutely make an impact right now. Enough of an impact to justify leaving one of our top defensive forwards and PKers (Engvall) out of the lineup? I'm not sure...but the kid has game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad