Speculation: Does Matthews really deserve 10mil a year?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
You are comparing Kane/Toews second standard contract to Matthews first soon to be.
Kane signed for 6.3 mil when the cap was at 59.4 in 2010, good for 10.6 percent of the cap. Now given it was only a 5 year contract, and Matthews is expected to get 8 years, you can bump that cap hit up a bit. Also, have to consider was Kane the same player in 2010 that Matthews is now? Very comparable, Kane was ppg player at that point in time. So being generous for the extra 3 years, you can bump the hit from 10.6 percent to 11.6 percent. You end up less than 10 million caphit for Matthews.

Now your comparing contracts from the previous CBA, just can't be done. Entirely different set of rules, and an entirely different environment in the NHL.

The Maple Leafs will back up a Brinks truck to Matthews door and ask how much he wants.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If Connor McDavid gets $12M then Mathews isn't worth $10M in my books. I think Mathews is a victim of overlove. Im not even convinced he is better than Marner. You have your opinion, I have mine. I wouldn't have any fear of trading Mathews plus (?) for McDavid.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
You are comparing Kane/Toews second standard contract to Matthews first soon to be.
Kane signed for 6.3 mil when the cap was at 59.4 in 2010, good for 10.6 percent of the cap. Now given it was only a 5 year contract, and Matthews is expected to get 8 years, you can bump that cap hit up a bit. Also, have to consider was Kane the same player in 2010 that Matthews is now? Very comparable, Kane was ppg player at that point in time. So being generous for the extra 3 years, you can bump the hit from 10.6 percent to 11.6 percent. You end up less than 10 million caphit for Matthews.

Those extra 3 years are pretty big considering theyre UFA years. According to cap friendly, Toews 1st contract out of ELC was about 11% of the cap. So on an 82 million cap (about what it will be NEXT season), youre looking at a $9 million, 5 year deal.

Do the Leafs want to risk him leaving at 27 like Tavares did? Maybe they're confident enough to do it? Or do they buy the extra 3 years of UFA for an extra 2-2.5 mil a year where maybe hes overpaid for a year or two (lol).

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I think a luxury tax will be introduce sooner than later. As I just don't see profitable teams continue to finance teams in red for nothing. Put a luxury tax in and these teams will use that money to sign players to improve the team. Which most likely result in more money for the league.

I've been saying this for years. Forced parity is bogus, amd only in place to prop up Bettman's pet projects. Profitable teams shouldn't be punished for having more rabid fan bases.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Looking at the going rate for #1 centres, franchise or not it appears 10 million is the going rate these days. Eichel, Kopitar, Toews, Tavares etc

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Not too many people in the whole world deserve that kind of money, but pro sports is a supply and demand market, and whatever the market indicates, so be it!
It's a tough call either way for both player and employer. Calculated gamble for both.
IMO, lock him up on long term contract sooner than later

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Has absolutely nothing to do with RFA vs UFA. Matthews is the best player on the team and he will be paid the most. Anyone anticipating him making less then 11.5 are going to be disappointed.

I think that Taveres signing for 11 makes it more clear that Matthews gets north of 11.

I could be wrong, but Matthews level is somewhere between McDavid and Eichel, why wouldn't he be paid that way ?

You do realize that McDavid has lead the league in scoring 2 years in a row.

Art Ross Trophy2017, 2018
Hart Memorial Trophy2017
Ted Lindsay Award2017, 2018
First All-Star Team2017, 2018
The Hockey News, Mario Lemieux Award (Best Player)2018
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

When Matthews does that, then he can get 13 mil. I don't get how people can compare players where they are not even close. could they be? Yes, but he has to show it. Tons of guys should get 13 mil too right? 1st overall players 60+ points. Let him earn it first.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If Connor McDavid gets $12M then Mathews isn't worth $10M in my books. I think Mathews is a victim of overlove. Im not even convinced he is better than Marner. You have your opinion, I have mine. I wouldn't have any fear of trading Mathews plus (?) for McDavid.

Matthews is on a whole other level than marner. And this is coming from the biggest marner fan on the board.

Reactions: Menzinger

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Kane signed the contract in 2009 - early into his third season. It was 11.09% of the cap. Comparable today would be 8.8M for 5 years for Matthews. Hopping up from a 5 year to a 8 year, which buys 3 UFA years does not result in a small bump, but a very large one. 8 years at 11M for Matthews is a better deal than what the Hawks received for Kane. And Matthews is a better player.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Anyone on here comparing contracts from a different CBA and cap hit and trying to say a player deserves less because of that is delusional.

Best example is Crosby 8.7 Mil Cap Hit.

With that logic - Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Ovechkin, Malkin, Benn and Subban are better then Crosby. All are worse.

Cap goes up every year, therefore players will get more every year. Matthews will be the top paid player on this team.

Reactions: Liminality

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Doesn't matter if AM34 is worth $10M today, what matters is when he's playing like a $13M player in a few years and you've got him locked up for only $10M.

For the record, a guy like Eichel will be worth more than his contract too in a few years (if not sooner).

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Matthews is on a whole other level than marner. And this is coming from the biggest marner fan on the board.

You must not be the biggest Marner fan then ;).

I agree, I prefer Matthews to Marner... but I think Marner is closer to Matthews than he is Nylander.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
Matthews deserves 11M a season. If the Leafs want him to sign for 8 years that is what they will likely need to pay. He is as good as Tavares is today and will be much better than Tavares for at least half of their contracts. You don't try to rip off a young rising star.

I completely agree with this, you pay Matthews what he is worth and deserves. How often do you find a legit #1 C franchise player with his caliber? You pay him and lock him up long term and don't even blink an eye paying him 10+ mill a year.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews will in compariso deserve $10,000,000 yes. Not that i like some of the crazy deals givenvto Eichel and McDavid.

They are just simply to much! I believe they are anyways. ;))

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Crazy but true. You do that deal every day. You just do ;))

No really, it makes sense. You wouldn't even need a fourth line center dressed lol
I wouldnt.

1) marner and nylander will be good for 160 points total if not more

2) they would give matthews and tavares amazing linemates = more points for tavares and matthews

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I wouldnt.

1) marner and nylander will be good for 160 points total if not more

2) they would give matthews and tavares amazing linemates = more points for tavares and matthews

True but Babcock and Hyman will be Matthews and Tavares krpytinite for points lol

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Matthews shouldn't get a dime over 9,

Marner at 7.5

Nylander at 6

As a young American entrepreneur he'll probably accept the Max Salary any thing less could be considered Treason. It's the American way, his picture would immediately be posted in the NHLPA as a Martyr.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I completely agree with this, you pay Matthews what he is worth and deserves. How often do you find a legit #1 C franchise player with his caliber? You pay him and lock him up long term and don't even blink an eye paying him 10+ mill a year.

And here is why you are sooo on the money.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Auston Matthews Will Score 65-70 Goals

Dubas would be wise to extend Marner and Matthews before they get next srason under their career belt.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I would have said yes in March last year.

But that was before one of the most disgraceful playoff performances from a "generational talent" that I've ever seen.

And when your sample size is so small (only two years), a bad playoff series at such a legendary level matters a lot.

I mean, if it was his eighth playoff series, and was his only disgraceful stinker, then that would be different.

But we're talking just two playoff series in his young career. One where he was good. The other where he was an unacceptable human being.

So now it remains to be seen.

The leafs will most certainly make the playoffs this year. Let's see how Matthews does in the playoffs before we even consider making that contract.

Reactions: dsred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad