Speculation: Does Matthews really deserve 10mil a year?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
$10 million for Matthews is the lowest realistic amount i think Leafs fans can hope for. I don't see him getting less than Eichel. I think he probably get $11 million (x8 years) in line with Tavares.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You realize the cap goes up every year right ? Toews and Kane signed those contracts in 2015, Crosby makes 8.7 Mil and is the 2nd best player in the league. You can't base a contract on someone who signed one years ago.

Kane and Toews - 10.5 Mil when cap was 71.4 Mil - 14.7% of the cap.

Matthews 11.5 Mil when cap is projected to be 80 Mil (This upcoming year, not the year it would start) - 14.3%

At 11.5 Mil Matthews is actually making less percentage of cap then Toews and Kane.

You should just prepare yourself for a 11.5-12 Mil contract for him.

If McDavid is $12M, Mathews is $9M/yr. on a bridge contract. On top of that, I'm not sold on we have keep all 4 forwards(Mathews,Marner,Nylander and Tavarres) especially if it means we cant spend on defense. We are also in denial about our size. Certain players were invisible against Boston. If this team loses in the first round next year, lookout! You were warned not to let JVR go for free. You cried we had to keep him.We lost anyway. I'm prepared to sacrifice anyone for the cause. Let's not start a religion that says we have to keep all 4 no matter what.

Mathews is not worth 11.5, not even close. Maybe you should prepare yourself, because if McDavid became available then Mathews is up for grabs. In a bad economy, caps can also go down. Don't use cap as an excuse to overpay for players, it makes you sound like his agent. Tavarres earned his money and is 27, so he isnt a valid argument either. He also took a paycut to come here. If Mathews doesn't want to be here, so be it.

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
Look Honestly he will be 21 as an RFA he signs 8x$88M it doesn't matter how much he gets paid its how you 'manipulate' sorry massage the cap dollars. There is a reason Pridham is the Assistant GM he knows all of the loopholes in the cap and the CBA, if they can figure a way to make it look like he is being paid $50 a game but being paid 20M a year he will figure it out. Have faith

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I would have said yes in March last year.

But that was before one of the most disgraceful playoff performances from a "generational talent" that I've ever seen.

And when your sample size is so small (only two years), a bad playoff series at such a legendary level matters a lot.

I mean, if it was his eighth playoff series, and was his only disgraceful stinker, then that would be different.

But we're talking just two playoff series in his young career. One where he was good. The other where he was an unacceptable human being.

So now it remains to be seen.

The leafs will most certainly make the playoffs this year. Let's see how Matthews does in the playoffs before we even consider making that contract.
You don't say? Only 2 playoff series eh. Some would say you're jumping to conclusions based off of one slightly disappointing playoff series and, honestly, he wasnt even that bad.

Auston Matthews has never, and will never be an unacceptable human being. That's quite the take. You're pathetic.

Put the game of hockey away. Have you seen the countless hours he puts in for the community in Toronto, Arizona, and for Sick Kids? He uses his platform as an athlete to help the less unfortunate, he's humble, family-oriented, and seems like a really funny guy to have around. You can tell the dressing room loves everything about him. He's an outstanding hockey player and an even better person.

8 years! Dubas will get 'er done. He doesn't make pathetic conclusions from one playoff series.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
SKATR charts for last season comparing Matthews to some of the leagues best 1Cs.

I think it is safe to say he is pretty good.

Dashboard 1 (9).png
Dashboard 1 (10).png
Dashboard 1 (11).png
Dashboard 1 (12).png
Dashboard 1 (13).png
Dashboard 1 (14).png

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Look Honestly he will be 21 as an RFA he signs 8x$88M it doesn't matter how much he gets paid its how you 'manipulate' sorry massage the cap dollars. There is a reason Pridham is the Assistant GM he knows all of the loopholes in the cap and the CBA, if they can figure a way to make it look like he is being paid $50 a game but being paid 20M a year he will figure it out. Have faith
hes the only 1 of the big 3 that's worth what he ll get paid ….marner maybe if hes consistent next year ,nylander only if he;s a center ,

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
All I know is anything can happen. Once upon a time Gretzky was untoucheable. One day Mathews could come to us and demand to be traded to ARZ. I want what is best for the Leafs and quite frankly no player is bigger than the team we have, not even Mathews.

Reactions: dsred

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
SKATR charts for last season comparing Matthews to some of the leagues best 1Cs.
I'm surprised Crosby's starts in the defensive zone were so low last year.

Matthews I think is going to be an analytical darling for his entire career.

Reactions: AppsSyl

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
If McDavid is $12M, Mathews is $9M/yr. on a bridge contract. On top of that, I'm not sold on we have keep all 4 forwards(Mathews,Marner,Nylander and Tavarres) especially if it means we cant spend on defense. We are also in denial about our size. Certain players were invisible against Boston. If this team loses in the first round next year, lookout! You were warned not to let JVR go for free. You cried we had to keep him.We lost anyway. I'm prepared to sacrifice anyone for the cause. Let's not start a religion that says we have to keep all 4 no matter what.

Mathews is not worth 11.5, not even close. Maybe you should prepare yourself, because if McDavid became available then Mathews is up for grabs. In a bad economy, caps can also go down. Don't use cap as an excuse to overpay for players, it makes you sound like his agent. Tavarres earned his money and is 27, so he isnt a valid argument either. He also took a paycut to come here. If Mathews doesn't want to be here, so be it.

This is why Toronto can not have nice things. We finally have a #1 center and you want to cheap out and not pay him.

If you think JVR made this team any tougher or if you think he played like his size you are lost, JVR does not play a physical game at all.

Reactions: FabledKnight

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I would have said yes in March last year.

But that was before one of the most disgraceful playoff performances from a "generational talent" that I've ever seen.

And when your sample size is so small (only two years), a bad playoff series at such a legendary level matters a lot.

I mean, if it was his eighth playoff series, and was his only disgraceful stinker, then that would be different.

But we're talking just two playoff series in his young career. One where he was good. The other where he was an unacceptable human being.

So now it remains to be seen.

The leafs will most certainly make the playoffs this year. Let's see how Matthews does in the playoffs before we even consider making that contract.

Can't like this post enough. /Thread.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if eichel got 10 and mcdavid 12.5

even 11 is fair for matthews, it also means he didnt give the leafs an inch of discount, but its not like hes not worth that according to his production and what the market value is

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He is over paid for many reasons. He is a player that needs to be brought down to earth, horribly team mate and has cause so much pain in Buffalo in a short period of time that he makes Lindros looks like a Boy Scout.

I would take Tavares over him every day of the week as he is a leader and not a me first player. I also question your rational about Tavares not going to get better. He had never played with a talented winger in his career and will so this year. I would think Tavares produces more points this year.

All parts of a players game needs to be considered before giving a player a bloated contract and Elichel constantly gets caught on the ice in long shifts putting his team before himself as yells at his teammates all the time. Sorry he is over paid and definitely a player you do not want on your team.
Eichel has 61.2% ozone starts. I can guess it isn't because the sabres are a high possession team. He is given every chance to score

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not convinced Mathews is better than Eichel who has no support on a team that isn't even trying to win. O' Reilly says he is excited to be playing in St Louis, guess why?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
This is why Toronto can not have nice things. We finally have a #1 center and you want to cheap out and not pay him.

If you think JVR made this team any tougher or if you think he played like his size you are lost, JVR does not play a physical game at all.

We can't have nice things like Tavares? Tavares has earned his stripes, is a UFA and is 27. He took $11M. I'm prepared to bridge him if he wants. He isn't, as of yet , proven. If you overpay everyone you won't have nice things(a cup) either. Sooner or later all of our young guys will want to be paid. Does Mathew's agent use this forum to negotiate contracts or something? As of right now, Marner has proven more in my books.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

You are lost because I have no idea what the hell you are talking about on JVR. I never used the word "tough" and JVR in the same sentence. If you go look I said trade him early last year, we aren't going anywhere in 2018. Of course we didn't and you got nothing for him while losing anyway. It is because of fans like you Toronto never wins.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nope, not yet.

I want to know more about his health. I want to see some more, maybe a big season and especially a big playoff this year where he dominates.

I imagine he is a 10m+ player but it's speculative for me at this point. My biggest concern being his back.

Reactions: frizzer1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad