Speculation: Does Matthews really deserve 10mil a year?

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
He will be 21 when his ELC expires. I personally don't think any 21 year old should be making this much on their first deal (Jack, we are looking at you).
What do you think he will truthfully get, or what he should realistically ask for?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
it depends

- on one hand i believe he's one of the top players in the league or will be very shortly so yes he is as good as the top paid players in the game outside of McD

- on the other hand when we're discussing his new contract i believe he shouldn't be getting anywhere near 10 m because of um reasons

but at the end i the day i'll argue whatever Dubas signs him for is the perfect deal and that he left money on the table and that is was Dubas who convinced him to take less

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
it depends

- on one hand i believe he's one of the top players in the league or will be very shortly so yes he is as good as the top paid players in the game outside of McD

- on the other hand when we're discussing his new contract i believe he shouldn't be getting anywhere near 10 m because of um reasons

but at the end i the day i'll argue whatever Dubas signs him for is the perfect deal and that he left money on the table and that is was Dubas who convinced him to take less

Every thread with this eh?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Be cool if the Leafs can get him for 8m for 8 years though... HF would melt down lol

I don’t think they would. That would be “proof leafs management agree with the main boards that lead fans overrate Matthews” or “lol at leaf fans thinking a $8m matthews is close to $10m laine the contracts prove they aren’t close”

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In Matthews rookie season he scored 40 goals and was tied for 2nd in the NHL in that category. So if Jack Eichel can get 8 years and $10 million when he's not as good, obviously Matthews deserves at least $10 million a year. In fact he should be making more than Eichel.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Whether you agree with the landscape or not it is what it is and thus he does deserve that amount.

The guy has arguably been the best even strength goal scorer in the league the past two seasons and that's actually an amazing feat for a young player.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Whether you agree with the landscape or not it is what it is and thus he does deserve that amount.

The guy has arguably been the best even strength goal scorer in the league the past two seasons and that's actually an amazing feat for a young player.

Not even arguable.

Matthews is tied with Connor McDavid for 61 ESG since he entered the league but Matthews has played 20 fewer games.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I’d applaud Dubas at 10 for 34, 8 for 16 and 6 for 29. Set the tone with “Tavares left money on the table”, the greater good, shave a little here and there, suddenly you got money for one more quality D man, everyone wins.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He is a beast. People are suddenly sleeping on him because he had a season where he missed 20 games and had a bad playoff series. He will dominate the Leafs scoring title ala Sundin for the next decade or so.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Man, cant believe this is gonna be the third year with Auston. Still so pumped we won the lottery and drafted our franchise-C.

Who ... really knows what he deserves? I know it's just discussion but there is risk everywhere, we can't be worried about what others will think or say. We can go short-term at less money and there is risk there. If we go long-term and more money there's risk there as well.

With players nowadays always looking at comparables for salary along with how the market is, it's inevitable that you'll come across many players in some years of their contract who dont necessarily equate to their salary or cap hit per se. It's just the way it's been and will continue to be.

Good thing for us is Matthews, Marner and Nylander are ALL elite. And they're our homegrown players. That means something to them. They see what we're doing here and the way the organization handles its staff, their family and itself around the world. Its first-class all the time, every time.

I believe we have the right people in place who can make these tough choices especially for our core players.

I believe they have a great idea into what Auston already is and what they want him to develop into. They will convey this to him eloquently and intelligently. Whether this gets him 9 mill over 5 years, 10 over 8, or 11.5 over 8 they will do what's best for the team and for Auston. They won't nickle and dime their franchise-C. We're the frikin' Toronto Maple Leafs.

As a fan we just have to enjoy the ride, the players will do all of the work. They'll make Dubas and Babcock's job easier by going out and playing the game they know how and everything else will fall into place. Just win baby! That's it! Oh, and have fun - ofcourse ;)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That AAV on a max term deal would be 3M more in total than what Tavares signed for. In any case, no complaints if that's what it would take.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Matthews deserves 11M a season. If the Leafs want him to sign for 8 years that is what they will likely need to pay. He is as good as Tavares is today and will be much better than Tavares for at least half of their contracts. You don't try to rip off a young rising star.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
RFA's should not be getting this much, but it's the way the league is headed.
I think it's the opposite. These are the contracts where the players should earn the most money. Matthews is a perfect example. Already established so you know he's worth the money, and the contract will bring him right through his prime. You want to pay players based on what they do now, and you can do it while relatively sure that they'll be worth that contract to the end. That's much better than how it has generally worked before, where the next contract is often the big one. That's when you pay players based on what they used to do, and where the gap between what they actually provide and what they are paid for will continue to grow.

Ideally, you'd like to see the money distribution follow the development curve. Cheap before they are established, expensive after that point through their prime, while tapering off quickly after that.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Matthews is easily worth 10M; and Marner is easily worth 8M+

BUT

I hope by some stroke of luck we get all the there amigos signed this summer:

Matthews: 9x8
Marner: 7.5x8
Nylander: 6.5x8

Please hockey gods this franchise needs miracles

Reactions: Eric bungay