Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Exactly. But clearly the OP cares, and then all those defensive Oilers fans.

As a Leaf fan, the Oilers aren't the defensive fans, it's the Avs fans who keep bringing this up.

The Leafs have Auston Matthews and I am really f***ing glad to have him on our team but he's not better than McDavid. The same goes for the Avs, MacKinnon is an amazing player and the Avs are lucky to have him for a steal of a contract because he's somewhat of a late bloomer but he's not McDavid.

McDavid is the undisputed best player in the world today. There really isn't much to debate it.

I'll say this though, MacKinnon vs. McDavid is at least a lot more closer than the embarrassing Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar vs Crosby debates we used to have.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
It's easier to shutdown McDavid in the playoffs than MacKinnon, so there is your answer

Sure, all you need is some refs which swallow their whistles and then you can probably shutdown them both.

It is likely no coincidence that the MacK dominance coincides with his team being top 3 in PP/60 min (3 seasons in a row) and McD struggle this year was in a series where the number of penalties was a clear statistical outlier. I do not want to blame it on the refs, but more than half of the teams in the league drew more penalties/60 in playoffs than in the regular season, yet in the Oilers--Jets series both team drew significantly fewer penalties.

I'm growing really sick of hearing that McD cannot addapt to playoffs hockey, when the numbers show that the standard in the Oilers-Jets series was on a different planet even when compared with playoffs hockey.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
McDavid is the best regular season player in the world and Mackinnon is the best player in the world.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Oilers fans, always with the excuses. McDavid is obviously better than Marner, but they are cut from the same cloth. Mack has the power to fight through obstructions and dominate, Mick can only try to skate around it. That isn't a "team" skill, it's an individual one.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Mackinnon has such a better a team than Matthews or McDavid that no, I don't think he becomes the better player if he wins. He still hasn't done much individually. Star players can only take a team so far.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
No. McDavid is clearly better. With that said Mackinnon is absolutely good enough where for stretches he's the best in the world. But overall nobody's on McDavid's level atm.

Reactions: PuckG

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Avalanche fans need to stop with the same thread every time MacKinnon has a great run of form.

The answer is no. He’s not as good. Be happy your team has the second best player right now and you have a great team.

Reactions: flyfysher and PuckG

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
This thread is silly. It's a clear no. People need to stop applying basketball logic to hockey.

The top forwards only play a little more than 1/3 of any given game. Individual players have far less of an impact than they do in basketball where the top players are out there for like 3/4 of a game in the playoffs, or even football where they play 1/2 of a game. Likewise, the rest of your roster construction is sooooo much more important in hockey than in basketball.

If Colorado wins the cup, it's because they have a top 3 player on a laughable team friendly contract, and a top notch supporting cast around him.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year?
No, absolutely not and it's an absolutely stupid suggestion. Being the best team doesn't make you the best player, especially in a league with 32 teams in the ultimate TEAM sport.

Mr Burns

LOL U MAD BRO? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 9, 2020
The best I don't know because McDavid is a hell of a player honestly, but MacKinnon will be certainly the best playoffs performer if he wins the Cup this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Switch McDavid and Mackinnon, and McDavid wins the cup
Edmonton with MacKinnon probably would have beat the Jets, Colorado would have still beat the Blues but probably not a sweep with McDavid.

Colorado has better scoring depth but you can’t tell me playing with Draisaitl is that much worse than with Rantanen/Landeskog. Colorado is a better team but both McDavid and MacKinnon play with elite players and matches up against the other team’s best. MacKinnon produced in the playoffs and McDavid didn’t, simply as that.
The better team argument is so lazy, didn’t McDavid put up 100 points in the regular season with the same team?

McDavid didn’t show up in the playoffs, invisible in game 1 and 2. Two horrendous giveaways in game 3 and 4.

Reactions: sr edler

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Edmonton with MacKinnon probably would have beat the Jets, Colorado would have still beat the Blues but probably not a sweep with McDavid.

Colorado has better scoring depth but you can’t tell me playing with Draisaitl is that much worse than with Rantanen/Landeskog. Colorado is a better team but both McDavid and MacKinnon play with elite players and matches up against the other team’s best. MacKinnon produced in the playoffs and McDavid didn’t, simply as that.
The better team argument is so lazy, didn’t McDavid put up 100 points in the regular season with the same team?

McDavid didn’t show up in the playoffs, invisible in game 1 and 2. Two horrendous giveaways in game 3 and 4.

Outside of Leon, who's great in Edmonton?

Nobody.

Mack has a great supporting cast; when Kadri is your 3rd center, you're doing something good.
Makar is arguably the second best d-man in the World, after Hedman.

After Drai, RNH (!!!) the best player in Edmonton and their best d-man was either Nurse or Barrie, which is bad, man.

Fact is, McDavid put the team on his back and pretty much elevated the team by himself (with Drai).

Not saying that Mack is bad, he's the second best player on Earth or 3rd (depends where you put Draisatl), but McDavid is in a class of his own

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Outside of Leon, who's great in Edmonton?

Nobody.

Mack has a great supporting cast; when Kadri is your 3rd center, you're doing something good.
Makar is arguably the second best d-man in the World, after Hedman.

After Drai, RNH (!!!) the best player in Edmonton and their best d-man was either Nurse or Barrie, which is bad, man.

Fact is, McDavid put the team on his back and pretty much elevated the team by himself (with Drai).

Not saying that Mack is bad, he's the second best player on Earth or 3rd (depends where you put Draisatl), but McDavid is in a class of his own

Only 5 skaters are on the ice at the same time. McDrai is expected to produce even if the other 3 lines do not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad