Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Agree with most points. But Mack isn't exactly a bad regular season performer or anything like Drury in the regular season. He's at least top 3 regular season. He's doesn't get too many points against bad teams. I think he's barely above ppg against the ducks, sharks and LA, but destroys Minny and St.Louis. only had 6 points in 8 against Vegas though.
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that MacK is just another Chris Drury. He's a stud for sure.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Because he didn’t show up the in playoffs. Same reason everyone is turning on Marner, nobody cares what you do in the regular season if you don’t show up when it matters.
Those 4 games don’t change anything. Some people act liek the regular season is the CHL. Y’all realize it’s still NHL hockey, right?

member 298589

All these "biggest weiner" threads need to stop. Appreciate what you have and stop coveting thy hockey neighbor over arbitrary or ambiguous "best" titles.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
shhhhhhh!!!

stop lobbying for him that hes better than McDavid or else he will be making more than 12.5 per year than him and he wont be able to keep all his deadly teammates!!!

i actually quite like watching the Avs and dont wanna see this team dismantled!!

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He'll probably be considered a more clear #2, where now there is plenty of debate between #2 and #5 or 6. There is no way he passes McDavid based on him being a team with more depth and winning the cup. The two aren't close enough for that.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
McDavid hasn't looked this dangerous like Mackinnon currently is in the playoffs.

Vegas isnt even arguing the penalties against Mackinnon, and he drew 3 of them last night.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
No, but if MacKinnon continues being a playoff beast and McDavid continues being a playoff ghost, the gap between them starts becoming increasingly small.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
No sadly it’s not McDavid’s fault if he’s stuck with 3rd-4th liners after him and Drai. What happened to Yamamoto and RNH? Heard last year that the DRY line was pretty good. Honest question btw.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If MacK has a legendary playoff run and wins the Conn Smythe and a few more years of being arguably a top 5 forward he's looking like a legitimate hall of fame candidate when he retires.

He'll never catch McDavid though.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
No disrespect to McDavid and I write this as a die hard Avs fan.

McDavid is the best overall player in the NHL.

I’d love McDavid to be on the Avs but contract and salary cap wouldn’t allow for that. So to keep the team we have, I’d rather keep MacKinnon. I think MacKinnon fits the Avs better.

But McDavid is still the best overall NHL player.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
stanley cup is a team award, not an individual award, don't be ridiculous. avs are much much deeper and better all around than the oilers, nate is ez 2nd best in the league but not in mcdaddy's tier.

i think avs win the cup this year, really enjoy watching that team.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He's close - I'd argue one of the best if not best playoff performers. When looking at an overall body of work though, it is McDavid. I laughed when I read about MacKinnon drawing penalties - McDavid got nothing in the playoffs and had a few sequences where he was tripped or held going in on breakaways.

I think MacKinnon is on a significantly better balanced and generally better team. If McDavid isn't contributing on 50%+ of the Oilers goal production they pretty much lose the game. That both highlights how important he is and how bad the Oilers scoring depth is. Easy to game plan against the that in the playoffs as well, particularly if the refs decide to swallow their whistles...

In all honesty, who cares though. If I'm an Avs fan I'm just happy my team is crushing it. I wouldn't give two thoughts to this because I'd be too hyped about having a dominant team capable of winning a cup for the foreseeable future.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

This is something I haven't seen mentioned a lot but noticed after watching this video. Out of the all of the playoff OT goals since Mack has been drafted. He has been involved in almost EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Minny - OT goal, OT primary Assist
Calgary - OT goal, Wasn't on the Ice for OT goal in game 4
SJ sharks - Break out pass for OT Goal
Vegas - Primary assist

5 out of 6 Playoff OT wins for the Avs, Mack has been on the ice and contributed.

Landeskog and Rantanen has been involved in almost every single one since Rantanen has been drafted. Its ridiculous how clutch the Avs big line is.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Are those 4 games equivalent to the 4 games in a regular season?
Uh, yeah pretty much. They’re higher stakes, and pressure gets to some guys when they’re the entire offence of their team. But last I checked, both sets of games are against teams and players from the same league. It’s ridiculous that people act like the playoffs are an entire different existence.

McDavid on the Avs would already have won a cup. I can’t believe this is a question.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Uh, yeah pretty much. They’re higher stakes, and pressure gets to some guys when they’re the entire offence of their team. But last I checked, both sets of games are against teams and players from the same league. It’s ridiculous that people act like the playoffs are an entire different existence.

McDavid on the Avs would already have won a cup. I can’t believe this is a question.

4 games against a playoff team is the equivalent of 4 games against Ottawa?

If your star players can out up 4 goals, do you want the 4 goals to happen in 4 playoff games or 4 randomly assigned reg season games?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Was Bryan Trottier or Mike Bossy a better player in 1982 than Wayne Gretzky?

If Wayne Gretzky never made it out of the first round for his career. Terrible comparison since we don't have any idea how the rest of their careers will go.

Marcel Dionne vs. Bryan Trottier is a better comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad