Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
If Wayne Gretzky never made it out of the first round for his career. Terrible comparison since we don't have any idea how the rest of their careers will go.

Marcel Dionne vs. Bryan Trottier is a better comparison.

Marcel Dionne won all of one Art Ross and you're telling me my comparison is bad? lol

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Like I said in the other thread, Mack vs Mcdavid is just a retread of Sakic/Forsberg vs Lemieux/Jagr. Latter are better but former had some of the best playoff runs

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Marcel Dionne won all of one Art Ross and you're telling me my comparison is bad? lol

McDavid is closer to Dionne than Gretzky when you are talking playoffs. All of those comparisons are bad though. Once their career ends, it's be easier to compare.

LD29

Jan 19, 2019
Watching MacKinnon skate looks like a Ford Focus with a Lamborghini engine.

Reactions: Aurinko

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The thread premise isn't "better player in the playoffs".

The thread premise is "better player".

Yes and Wayne Gretzky is a phenomenal playoff player which is why he is the greatest of all time. So really we shouldn't use any comparisons to legends whose careers are done to two guys in the middle of their careers.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Reading these threads, if I had no other context, I'd come away with the impression that MacKinnon was the young upstart nipping at the heels of the legend. But I do have context, and know that McDavid is younger, already better, and still has more upside. If he stays healthy, he'll be an all-time great, and shouldn't be downgraded because he's stuck with the options of being on a one line team (which is easy to gameplan against in the playoffs) or being saddled with bottom-six to AHL level talent (which is also easy to gameplan against in the playoffs).

Reactions: RedHawkDown

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
@Jarey Curry
Is Mark Messier better than Lemiuex and Jagr put together? 6>4

And is Kucherov currently better than Mackinnon since he has a cup?

Yzerman, Lemiuex, Ovechkin all hadn't won anything in their first 6 years but people still knew they were phenomenal.

Last edited:

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
4 games against a playoff team is the equivalent of 4 games against Ottawa?

If your star players can out up 4 goals, do you want the 4 goals to happen in 4 playoff games or 4 randomly assigned reg season games?
Obviously in 4 playoff games.

But I'd rather have a star player that can score100+ pts ini 56 games on a garbage team than one who has never eclipsed 100 in his career. As in, I'd rather have the better player.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
No sadly it’s not McDavid’s fault if he’s stuck with 3rd-4th liners after him and Drai. What happened to Yamamoto and RNH? Heard last year that the DRY line was pretty good. Honest question btw.
Yamamoto was pretty snake bit and couldn't finish any thing the last 25 games whereas last year he seemed to finish a majority of his chances. RNH had a drop off this season from his Previous 2 seasons. Not sure if it was a one off or he was just playing above his talent level the last 2 years.

Reactions: Spilot23

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
@Jarey Curry
Is Mark Messier better than Lemiuex and Jagr put together? 6>4

And is Kucherov currently better than Mackinnon since he has a cup?

Yzerman, Lemiuex, Ovechkin all hadn't won anything in their first 6 years but people still knew they were phenomenal.

Honestly not sure why Kucherov doesn't get more love. He's resume isn't worse than Drai.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Honestly not sure why Kucherov doesn't get more love. He's resume isn't worse than Drai.
Out of sight out of mind. His 2018 season was arguably the best season in the last 15 or so years. Tampa (outside of last years cup win) was a great team but how many people really watched them? They had a big series vs Chicago and Boston that probably got a lot of viewers but I'm guessing thats it. This year when they were a bit more high profile after that cup win he missed the whole season, but right now looks just like he did in previous years and didn't miss a step. In edmonton I can honestly say I know more about the leafs secondary scoring (Nylander/Hyman) than I do about kucherov strictly based on how much the team gets covered. I couldn't imagine how much non-hockey markets don't get to see any bit of Kucherov.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the real question is how many almost identical MacKinnon threads with slightly different titles are going to be made between now and the end of the Playoffs?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
In order to be the best player in the world, you have to be the best player in the world.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Oilers fan. If MacKinnon wins the cup and he keeps up his pace he's the king of the castle. Mackinnon has consistently dominated and taken over series in the playoffs..........if they called the playoffs like the regular season things would probably look much different for Mcdavid.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Winning the Stanley Cup is not an individual award. There’s plenty of conversation for this topic based on how much better a hockey player Mackinnon is in the playoffs compared to Mcdavid but a Stanley Cup has nothing to do with it.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Connor McDavid is one of the best ever. Love Mackinnon, but he is in the second tier, along with a few other superstars. Winning the Cup will not change that. McDavid is simply brilliant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->