Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year? I know McDavid is perceived the number one because of his regular season dominance, and I agree. Somehow it just isnt enough to win championship, his point production isnt enough for a team to win in the post season apparently. MacKinnon is one of the best in the regular season but he is absolutely the best playoff performer this league has for 2 post seasons straight. What do you think, will Mackinnon be perceived the best hockey player in the world if he hoists the cup this year?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
He would be the best Player on the best team and top 3 in the league for sure but idk about Best considering he has a really good team around him aswell.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Winning things doesn't make you a better player (outside of some experience)
He either is or isn't already (isn't) but can still win either way.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Lets say Ovechkin never won the cup. His perception by others would go down to the best player to never win a stanley cup, now that he has won, he is perceived that much more. It has to mean something to play a leading role to lead your team to victory in the hardest playoff format of competetive sports right? And yes it is a team sport, the whole team wins. Mcdavid n Draisaitl in the Oil reminds me of a couple years back when we had like the Avs top line but nothing else really in the playoffs, result early round exit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
McDavid just hit 105 in 56 games.

Tough season to get ranked ahead of him.

I do prefer Mackinnons style for playoffs

Reactions: Grabner

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year? I know McDavid is perceived the number one because of his regular season dominance, and I agree. Somehow it just isnt enough to win championship, his point production isnt enough for a team to win in the post season apparently. MacKinnon is one of the best in the regular season but he is absolutely the best playoff performer this league has for 2 post seasons straight. What do you think, will Mackinnon be perceived the best hockey player in the world if he hoists the cup this year?

Nope. McDavid is still that.

Solid case for #2, though.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
People have this weird obsession with trying to discredit McDavid's obvious status as best player in the world.

Like, I'm a Canucks fan. I absolutely despise the oilers and have every reason to try and discredit him. It's easy as hell to admit he's the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
McDavid had the best season in the last 25 years, has scored over PPG every single year, has paced for over 100 points five times in a row and actually scored over 100 points during four of those seasons, has won the Art, Hart and Lindsay (some multiple times), leads the NHL in points since joining the league, dragged his absolute pile of a dogshite team to the play offs twice, improved his defensive game this year so he's actually elite on both sides of the rink, but hear me out... Nathan MacKinnon?

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Championships add to a players legacy, but they don't make that player suddenly better than other players.

MacKinnon is either better or he's not. The Stanley Cup doesn't change that

Oct 18, 2011
Have Mack and McDavid swap sides, how different are the outcomes for each team and what discussion are we having

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
I’ll play along with this silliness and say yes, sure, he does. If he doesn’t win a cup though he’s overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->