Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year

Kresnik

Mar 14, 2011
Sweden
Perhaps by some because of intangibles like leadership and be good when it matters etc, but Mcdavid will still be regarded as the most talented player in the world I think.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Like I said in the other thread, Mack vs Mcdavid is just a retread of Sakic/Forsberg vs Lemieux/Jagr. Latter are better but former had some of the best playoff runs

Terrible comparison. Nobody in their right mind argued Jagr over Lemieux and Mac+Mc doesn't play on the same team. If anything Draisaitl vs McDavid is the real Forsberg vs Sakic or Malkin vs Crosby. Draisaitl so far played better in the playoffs and outdo McDavid at times in the regular season(you know similiar to how there is a case for Malkin being a better playoff performer as well as having a higher peak than Crosby).

OT: No? Also id argue Kucherov(who you know have arguably the highest regular season peak of any player currently in the league) had a Smythe worthy cup win just last year, and looks like he could repeat this year have a stronger case.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Terrible comparison. Nobody in their right mind argued Jagr over Lemieux and Mac+Mc doesn't play on the same team. If anything Draisaitl vs McDavid is the real Forsberg vs Sakic or Malkin vs Crosby. Draisaitl so far played better in the playoffs and outdo McDavid at times in the regular season(you know similiar to how there is a case for Malkin being a better playoff performer as well as having a higher peak than Crosby).

OT: No? Also id argue Kucherov(who you know have arguably the highest regular season peak of any player currently in the league) had a Smythe worthy cup win just last year, and looks like he could repeat this year have a stronger case.

the first paragraph about teams is irrelevant to my point, nor did I compare jagr to Lemieux. At different times, one of them was typically the best forward in the league when Sakic/Forsberg were active. But those players had some shorter stretches where they looked like the best players in the world, again at different times, and we’re notoriously good in the playoffs which helped elevate their standing in history

Doubty

Mar 25, 2021
Does Mackinnon become the best hockey player in the world if he wins Stanley Cup this year? I know McDavid is perceived the number one because of his regular season dominance, and I agree. Somehow it just isnt enough to win championship, his point production isnt enough for a team to win in the post season apparently. MacKinnon is one of the best in the regular season but he is absolutely the best playoff performer this league has for 2 post seasons straight. What do you think, will Mackinnon be perceived the best hockey player in the world if he hoists the cup this year?
Not better than Mcdavid its clear. But top 4 for sure.

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
No, he’s got to play more against Canadian team. Bro told me an interesting stat regarding the north division: Matthews has 1.0 goals per game vs the Sens in his career, while having 3 goals in 12 games vs Tampa.

Meaning - you shouldn’t take the point/goals totals this year to heavily in account, but people will.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No, he’s got to play more against Canadian team. Bro told me an interesting stat regarding the north division: Matthews has 1.0 goals per game vs the Sens in his career, while having 3 goals in 12 games vs Tampa.

Meaning - you shouldn’t take the point/goals totals this year to heavily in account, but people will.
This year you can honestly throw stats out the window when comparing across divisions. They basically played in entirely different Leagues.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Wakey wakey Big Mac

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
MacKinnon is the most overrated playoff player. He racks up points in blow out games when the game is out of reach. But is a complete no show when it matters

2 points in his 7 career game 6s or 7s. 1 point this playoffs when the game within 2 goals or less.

Hes a major reason his team never makes it out of round 2 and will get bounced again

Fine looking player when his team does all the heavy lifting for him. Houdini when needed.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
MacKinnon is the most overrated playoff player. He racks up points in blow out games when the game is out of reach. But is a complete no show when it matters

2 points in his 7 career game 6s or 7s. 1 point this playoffs when the game within 2 goals or less.

Hes a major reason his team never makes it out of round 2 and will get bounced again

Fine looking player when his team does all the heavy lifting for him. Houdini when needed.
I’ve been saying this for a long time and everyone always freaks out (especially this year). He disappears when the pressure is on and the games matter the most. On top of it he looks and has the body language of a sore loser. First guy off the ice after game 4 in Vegas.

So not only does he not lead with his play, you can tell he’s a downer in the locker room when things go bad. Pathetic flopper/crybaby to the refs too

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Edmonton with MacKinnon probably would have beat the Jets, Colorado would have still beat the Blues but probably not a sweep with McDavid.

Colorado has better scoring depth but you can’t tell me playing with Draisaitl is that much worse than with Rantanen/Landeskog. Colorado is a better team but both McDavid and MacKinnon play with elite players and matches up against the other team’s best. MacKinnon produced in the playoffs and McDavid didn’t, simply as that.
The better team argument is so lazy, didn’t McDavid put up 100 points in the regular season with the same team?

McDavid didn’t show up in the playoffs, invisible in game 1 and 2. Two horrendous giveaways in game 3 and 4.
Mack is notorious for disappearing in game 6's and 7's. He lights up teams in blowout games but disappears in the big ones. His team is a heavy favorite and he is currently going into ghost mode yet again and may be about to choke yet another 2nd round away.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Mack is notorious for disappearing in game 6's and 7's. He lights up teams in blowout games but disappears in the big ones. His team is a heavy favorite and he is currently going into ghost mode yet again and may be about to choke yet another 2nd round away.
They're playing Vegas, not sure how that's a choke. They're tied for the President's Trophy, this series was never going to be easy. Vegas/Colorado is a 50/50 series.

They've made the 2nd round 3 years in a row, I know it's disappointing if they don't advance to the 3rd round but there are like 25 teams in the league who would do anything to make the 2nd round 3 years in a row. It's the Stanley Cup playoffs, it's not easy.

Reactions: User9992

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
They're playing Vegas, not sure how that's a choke. They're tied for the President's Trophy, this series was never going to be easy. Vegas/Colorado is a 50/50 series.
up 2-0.. vegas came off a tough 7 game series. Avs had a nice rest. What was the excuse the past years the Avs choked their 2nd rounds away? Why does he disappear in all the big games?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
up 2-0.. vegas came off a tough 7 game series. Avs had a nice rest. What was the excuse the past years the Avs choked their 2nd rounds away? Why does he disappear in all the big games?
Excuse last year was clearly injuries. You talk like the series is over, it's not over until a team wins 4 games. What was that stat where the team that went 7 games has won every series against the team that swept the series before?

Let's be honest here, Colorado/Vegas could've been a Stanley Cup finals, whoever wins this series basically has a bye to the finals.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Excuse last year was clearly injuries. You talk like the series is over, it's not over until a team wins 4 games.
true. They could win the next 2 and come back.. But based on their track record and Mackinnon's performances in his past 7 game 6/7's we would need to see something really out of the ordinary happen. Maybe Grubauer gets hot again and steals 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad