Speculation: Does Green last the season?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think giving last year’s success he will have the season. Missing the playoffs would I would say make it unlikely he returns next year

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think giving last year’s success he will have the season. Missing the playoffs would I would say make it unlikely he returns next year
Green wasn’t given a new contract. He’s in that “lame duck” position.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep, the pressure is on. The Canucks can put all the 'spin' on it they want......but the fact Green still doesn't have a contract beyond this season means that if the Canucks stumble out of the gate, look out!

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yep, the pressure is on. The Canucks can put all the 'spin' on it they want......but the fact Green still doesn't have a contract beyond this season means that if the Canucks stumble out of the gate, look out!

Cause nothing says "yes, this coach should be fired" like making the 2nd round of the playoffs for the first time in 9 years.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
He isn’t going to get fired in a weird season. It’s not like the Canucks are losing revenue if they lose games.

He will get a 4 year extension book it.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Up to Aquaman. He got burned by the Torts deal and to an extent the Gillis deal when he extended him a year out and then in 2013 seemed things shifted for whatever reason.

with Covid he will use that as the reason for not handing out an extension. I think the same would have been to Benning had his deal been expiring after this season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Up to Aquaman. He got burned by the Torts deal and to an extent the Gillis deal when he extended him a year out and then in 2013 seemed things shifted for whatever reason.

with Covid he will use that as the reason for not handing out an extension. I think the same would have been to Benning had his deal been expiring after this season.
You thinking if the Canucks struggle that both Green and Benning are fired?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
My sneaky suspicions make me think that they want a fall guy for the season if it goes south and if you re-sign the coach, you can’t fire him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Doubt it unless the season becomes another unintentional tank. I wonder if ownership caves into giving him a long term extension if things end up going decent/great during the first month or two of the season. I have a feeling it’s the term that’s the hold up in current negotiations, I bet Green wants 4 or 5 years and ownership/management wants 3.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
How can this season even be part of the consideration moving forward?
We won't have Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa or Winnipeg in our division moving forward.
And if we missed playoffs this season because of that, I don't think the blame can fall on Travis Green.

If we finish far below Edmonton and Calgary though, that would be something.
As long as we are right in the mix with Edmonton and Calgary, I don't think there's a reason not to bring back Travis Green.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I could see him being AXED if the season goes poorly, but if it goes well I can see him sticking around. Depends how he does and what happens I guess

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Green doesn't have a contract because non-salary cap expenses are being restricted in this organization not because he doesn't deserve one. This is just a factor of teams and their employees trying to figure out what the economic parameters are in the new reality. He will last the season because he is a good coach on a cheap salary. I'm not as confident that the two sides will figure out a contract for beyond this year. Green knows what he was worth in the previous economic reality and he might get it from a different owner who decides he/she can pay.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
He isn’t going to get fired in a weird season. It’s not like the Canucks are losing revenue if they lose games.

He will get a 4 year extension book it.
Green has not been offered a contract because Aquilini wants to see how things go this season...and is finally aware of the ridiculous contracts Benning has given out and how they are restricting the development of the Club. If things do not go well, Benning will be fired and a new GM will want to bring in their own coach. Not having Green signed makes this easy (and, of course, the new GM could choose to keep Green as Gillis did with AV).
Book it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Elusive Derposaurus

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
what a terrible thread. Imagine a fan posting this thread before game one, after a good season, Sad.

If his future was so secure, why hasn't he been re-signed? It's an odd situation for a coach to be in, especially one who took the team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Reactions: geebaan

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If his future was so secure, why hasn't he been re-signed? It's an odd situation for a coach to be in, especially one who took the team to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

This is indeed a really poor thread. Green is an up and coming coach respected around the league whose stock is growing.

The only reason he isnt signed yet is purely economic. The Aquilinis are being careful with the payroll while they are losing big money during the pandemic. Nothing to see here.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
This is indeed a really poor thread. Green is an up and coming coach respected around the league whose stock is growing.

The only reason he isnt signed yet is purely economic. The Aquilinis are being careful with the payroll while they are losing big money during the pandemic. Nothing to see here.

The extension would kick in next year though. So the money wouldn't effect this years books. If you're going to sign him anyway, why wait?

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Green has not been offered a contract because Aquilini wants to see how things go this season...and is finally aware of the ridiculous contracts Benning has given out and how they are restricting the development of the Club. If things do not go well, Benning will be fired and a new GM will want to bring in their own coach. Not having Green signed makes this easy (and, of course, the new GM could choose to keep Green as Gillis did with AV).
Book it!

That’s a terrible gamble for ownership. You know what Green brings to the table. The players love playing for him. He is not under the gun this season.

For all we know Aquaman is trying to squeeze him and offer is low and Green isn’t panicking just because the market on contracts is low.

under your explanation the 2 outcomes are :

Canucks do well - Green gets bank and demands way more than what you can get him for now.

canucks poop the bed and miss the playoffs.

that’s literally a lose lose business and money wise for Aquaman regarding Green.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad