Speculation: Does Green last the season?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Travis is a lame duck coach yet NHL.com panel selects him as one of the preseason favorites for top coach. Many posters here see him as a poor coach, others as a bad coach, few think he is a good coach. This discrepancy is opposite ends of the spectrum. Any opinionss?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Love him! We've a lot of youths on this team and he seems to be bringing them along nicely. I'm not sure Bednar will be the reason for Colorado's potential success this year. I see him as more of a passenger.

I can't think of any coach who would stack up better against Greener. Hopefully he signs on for another 3 years.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Hes been able to get great offense out of the team. I like his tenacity against refs as well. Seemed like we got penalized for too many men too often though. He will never be a good/great coach in my eyes until he can implement some semblance of a defensive strategy

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks owners are crying poverty, which is supposedly the reason Green hasn't been signed yet. But they assure everyone he eventually will be.

The problem for them, is that if the Canucks were to get off to a white hot start and look like they might finish first or second in the North Division then the price would go up significantly. Green and his agent are apparently looking for something in the $3m a season range. That's a big step up from what he was earning, but probably 'fair' considering the contracts for other coaches around the league.

But given how Jimbo dealt with contract 'negotiations' for Tanev, Tofoli and Stecher (there really weren't any), there's a risk they could wait too long on Green.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Green is considered a preseason favourite for top coach then the Canucks are also viewed as a team that will take major steps forward in the standings and or one of the best teams in the league. Look at the past Jack Adams winners. Cassidy- his team was leading the league in points. Trotz helped turn the Islanders from 22nd to 5th best. Gallant coached an expansion team to the 5th best record.

I think the discrepancy that BG noticed is that most of us (even the more optimistic ones) don't see the Canucks taking major steps forward in the standings or finish as one of the best teams in the league. The pessimistic ones think the Canucks would take major steps back. I'm personally a bit apprehensive. I think the Canucks will do well rather than regress and miss the playoffs. So if the Canucks perform better than my expectations Green should be in the Jack Adams talks.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Hah. Seems like for the past year all I have read from posters here is how much they hate his decisions and coaching style. The usual suspects.

No one is perfect, but I have enjoyed the exciting play he brings

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Travis is a lame duck coach yet NHL.com panel selects him as one of the preseason favorites for top coach. Many posters here see him as a poor coach, others as a bad coach, few think he is a good coach. This discrepancy is opposite ends of the spectrum. Any opinionss?
GM's (and a few media types) voted Benning 6th best GM simply based on a Cinderella run to a 7th game of the 2nd round after mortgaging the team's future.

It's always difficult to determine who is more clueless, the GM's or the media types like the ones who picked Green.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Really good coach..precisely the kind of coach you want for a young ascending core group...

I think that he is going to have a fine career as an NHL coach..much like AV.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I dislike Green's coaching because he plays way too much "not to lose"hockey, where he sits back and lets the team play on its heels the rest of the game in a conservative manner.
Is that the personnel or the coach telling players to crumble into a defensive shell? I think it’s the players

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Green's system is nonexistent, he gives terrible players copious amounts of ice time, and he hates playing prospects in lieu of garbage like Beagle and Sutter.

For some reason he refuses to put our best player on the ice in the closing minutes of a game when we have the lead, but loves throwing fourth-line trash like Beagle out there to get caved in. I don't think I've ever seen Petey get an empty-net point.

The guy didn't even want to play Boeser to begin his rookie season and probably cost him from cracking 30 goals. Brock was clearly ready to play. Pulled the same dumb crap in Utica when he wouldn't put McCann and Virtanen on the ice in the playoffs.

Watch our last series against Vegas and tell me this is a Coach of the Year candidate lol. We made them look like the '84 Oilers. Then Dallas, by no means an elite team, handled them easily with an actual defensive strategy.

The Canucks made a big upgrade from a career CHL coach in Willie to a career AHL coach in Green. Yay.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Our team relied heavily on Marky to steal games. Marky is gone. Imo Green will soon be gone too. Terrible season coming, and (fairly or not) Green will take the heat.

Reactions: I am toxic

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Green's system is nonexistent, he gives terrible players copious amounts of ice time, and he hates playing prospects in lieu of garbage like Beagle and Sutter.

For some reason he refuses to put our best player on the ice in the closing minutes of a game when we have the lead, but loves throwing fourth-line trash like Beagle out there to get caved in. I don't think I've ever seen Petey get an empty-net point.

The guy didn't even want to play Boeser to begin his rookie season and probably cost him from cracking 30 goals. Brock was clearly ready to play. Pulled the same dumb crap in Utica when he wouldn't put McCann and Virtanen on the ice in the playoffs.

Watch our last series against Vegas and tell me this is a Coach of the Year candidate lol. We made them look like the '84 Oilers. Then Dallas, by no means an elite team, handled them easily with an actual defensive strategy.

The Canucks made a big upgrade from a career CHL coach in Willie to a career AHL coach in Green. Yay.
And Demko would have never seen the net in the playoffs against Vegas if Markstrom had not been hurt....but Green continues to spew out his favourite line......"we have confidence in all our players". Actions speak louder than words.

Reactions: I am toxic

cc

Feb 28, 2002
the team almost never seemed ready to play in the 1st period often experiencing the first goal against. Game after game, they were outshot and out chanced by other teams relying solely on goaltending to bail them out. I don't feel like this is a sign of good coaching

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Don’t get the hate for Green at all. He’s been a fine coach for where this team was/is at. The big test for him now is can he elevate this team to the next level or not. I think and hope the playoffs last year were an eye opener for him as he had some decisions that paid off, and he had some that resulted in him getting spanked. He’s earned the chance to see what he can do with this team.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Never really thought Green was a system coach nor adjusts when in adversity (like his game plan was that we get outshot 2-3:1 during Vegas series)...He seemed fine to develop some young guys but thats about it seems more fitting as NHL Associate Coach

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Green looks a lot better to those of us who suffered through Torts and Willy. He made adjustments against the Blues that helped and, even though it was painful to watch, his strategy of taking shots but keeping them to the outside helped bring us to a game 7 vs. a Vegas team that badly outplayed us. The last time we had a coach who could make adjustments was Vigneault, and even then he didn't do much, though V's system was definently more pronounced. We should remember V was also a defensive coach until Gillis brought in players that could play an up tempo system. The fact a coach can adjust is huge, even if we don't like every single one of his decisions (see Sutter/Beagle criticism above).

Also, we will likely again have 2 rookies in the statting line up this year and 3 of the best rookies over the last 3 years in the NHL. He does implement rookies. Not as much as some like but sometimes what is being suggested by some posters would be reckless, IMO.

TLDR: Green is good. Maybe not great, but we could do a lot worse and I think we can win with him if the right personal decisions are made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->