Speculation: Does Green last the season?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He better, guy deserves a ton of credit in developing our kids.
Giving them opportunities and putting them in spots to suceed.
He was spot on about goldy as well.
Had a huge blues series as well.
Sign him long term

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I will be more upset if we let Green walk, than Markstrom, Tanev, Stetcher and Toffoli walking.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I will be more upset if we let Green walk, than Markstrom, Tanev, Stetcher and Toffoli walking.
This guy is NOT Scotty Bowman etc or even Mike Babcock in his prime. There are many more qualified people out there who would be fine coaching this team. Our problem remains at the GM level. We will have trouble adding to and even retaining our core with the horrible management we have in place.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Sign him long term
Still waiting on that development of Jake...especially after watching William Nylander pot 2 goals last night!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Sign him long term
Which kids?

Pettersson, Boeser and Hughes walked in ready made front line players.

How have Virtanen, Gaudette and other young players developed? Not as well imo.

I think you’re overrating this coaches impact and it means you probably haven’t paid attention to the 5 on 5 metrics. The Canucks under green is still a team that gets dominated on attempts.

It would be foolish to place such a long term bet in the guy with his biggest wins coming inside a bubble and what will likely be in a season they play 6 teams.

Not saying he’s awful but I honestly don’t see him as a great X’s and O’s Guy. What is our system? It depended very heavily on the goaltending. Even last night Holtby made some doozies.

I definitely don’t think he’s worth a 4 or 5 year deal at this stage. I think he’s reputation is a bit of a mirage because he’s been getting to add a calder finalist a year.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Sign him long term

He's done a great job riding coattails at least. Maybe one day he can deploy a system that doesnt have us get out chanced every game

And I don't agree about Gaudette being in a spot to succeed. He's an awful center. Convert him to wing already

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
This guy is NOT Scotty Bowman etc or even Mike Babcock in his prime. There are many more qualified people out there who would be fine coaching this team. Our problem remains at the GM level. We will have trouble adding to and even retaining our core with the horrible management we have in place.

This isn't a computer simulation, coaches and players have relationships and it is obvious that Green has his players all buying in.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
This isn't a computer simulation, coaches and players have relationships and it is obvious that Green has his players all buying in.

Buying in to what though? Getting outshot and outchanced by an absurd margin almost every night?

Getting players to work hard is great, but he isn't coaching the Kamloops Blazers -- that's only one facet of being a good head coach in the NHL. And even the effort level is inconsistent, guys like Jake and Loui have looked like passengers his entire tenure. Boeser has been a floater until late last season.

Re-signing Green to a big new contract would be foolish, we should wait and see (lol?) who else is available as the season progresses.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Sign him long term
Every single one of your takes does not match up to reality. Of course, if you are being sarcastic - great!!!!!.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's an average coach, nothing special. His biggest "successes" with the kids are guys who came out-of-the-box ready like Boeser, Petey, and Hughes. He's worked with Virtanen for nearly Jake's entire pro career and he still hasn't got the best out of him nor trust him. Gaudette's progressed nicely but Green still has no patience for him defensively.

If the Canucks miss the playoffs, I'd hope for an entire organizational housecleaning. Benning, Weisbrod, Green et al.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree with other posters that Green is basically 'an average' coach at best. Some players have thrived under his tutelage, others have stalled. And up until last season, his teams were routinely some of the worst in the NHL. Just look at where the Canucks were drafting.

So like a lot of coaches 'on the bubble' , he's in a 'win or else' mode when it comes to earning a new contract. If the Canucks make the playoffs and go on another mini-run in the post-season, he probably gets a new deal. Anything less, and he probably walks.

I can't understand why some posters and members of the media would be 'outraged' if this ever happened. The impact of head coaches around the league is seriously overrated imo.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I suspect it's because it's out of the norm for head coaches to go into the final year of their contract. People point at it and think that's weird and wonder why.

If they're looking to make a change it makes sense to play out the year. I would think they have an idea of what green is and aren't using this year to evaluate him.

It isn't a cost saving measure, any extension won't kick in until next year, where they'll either be paying green or someone else anyway.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would say if we’re being realistic the two key pieces that Green “developed” are Stecher and Motte.

He made certain players worse: Gudbranson and Hutton

Jury is out on: Virtanen, Gaudette,

And hasn’t had much to work with in Granlund, Pouliot, Goldobin

Other than that you’ve got Ready made 25 goal scorer out of the box - Boeser, SEL MVP - Pettersson, and top puck moving Dman - Hughes.

Horvat was progressing well under Desjardins.

He defaults to veteran players, had a big hand in getting Beagle and Roussel, and imo gets way more credit than he deserves for developing players.

I think he’s done a good job creating a positive work environment but this is the NHL. Expectations need to be higher.

If the team continues to give up the slot chances they have for the past few years to me it’s definitely time for a new voice and an actual system.

A top coach gets more out of this group imo, but I’m down with a wholesale change too.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I suspect it's because it's out of the norm for head coaches to go into the final year of their contract. People point at it and think that's weird and wonder why.

If they're looking to make a change it makes sense to play out the year. I would think they have an idea of what green is and aren't using this year to evaluate him.

It isn't a cost saving measure, any extension won't kick in until next year, where they'll either be paying green or someone else anyway.
Green with an extension would be difficult to fire, because Aquilini would be paying Green and paying a new coach.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks should open the cheque book for Gallant. Guy deployed such a strong system in Vegas and is now sitting on his coach.
He’s likely the next coach hired, when there’s an opening. We should get him now, before another team snaps him up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Gallant is almost a guaranteed hire for the Seattle Kraken....besides, with the Aquilini's pulling in the purse-strings, he'd be far too rich for the Canucks. Methinks the owners are still reeling from the Torts fiasco, and their days of ponying up for a expensive head coach are over.

So if Green goes, his replacement is guaranteed to be coach who is on 'the rebound' and will come cheap.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
Green panics when behind in a game,juggles his lines,,has 2 bad assistant coaches with him..he has been ok with some of the young guys,,but I'd rather we have someone with more experience...there are a few unemployed, just waiting...if we struggle,,,I can see a change...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Isn't Gallant pretty old school and/or wants a lot of control that coaches don't usually get? I thought that was the knock on him from Florida/Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad