Speculation: Does Green last the season?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Very early, but if the trends in the Canucks play continues, how long a rope does Green have? 15 games, or 25-30? Still think it's no better than 50/50 that Green is still around at the end of the season.

Reactions: Luckylarry

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Very unlikely they fire the coaching staff in a shortened season with a pandemic going on.
Ageed in that respect but, as I have said before, the more likely scenario, if this continues, is that Benning gets fired (again, likely at the end of the season as there is a bigger pool of potential candidates at that time) and a new GM will choose their coach. Of course, it is early, and a 3 game winning streak may change a lot of opinions (but is this possible with Miller out?)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Very unlikely they fire the coaching staff in a shortened season with a pandemic going on.
Here’s a scenario I see having potential. We continue to play poorly, and lose. And not just lose, but get pounded like these last two games. Green is let go, and a coach already on our team is promoted to the head job for a couple weeks, while a guy like Gallant goes through his quarantine.
How many games will Green get if the team continues to perform so bad? We got killed those last two. At some point the owner will demand change.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I could see Benning firing Green as a last ditch effort to save his job. But let’s face it, this isn’t a coaching issue this is a management issue.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
We get caved-in 5 on 5 on the regular. Many folks here like to point to our slow, lackluster bottom 6 as the reason, but our top 6 is hemmed in nearly as often.

This is a coaching/systems issue. Our roster is average. Not a travesty like Detroit's or Chicago's. It's capable of playing team defense provided they are instructed to do so.

Glad that Green is a lame duck this year. It's show-me time. Either institute a more structured defense or find yourself a new position elsewhere. Tick - tock...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Upon reflection, I think posters are probably right. Even if the Canucks flop this season, the owners won't want to fire Green and bring in another coach for this shortened season. They're pinching pennies right now, and paying two coaches in a single season isn't part of the game plan.

So it's likely that the coaching change would come as part of a general housecleaning after the season is over.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
If TG is unable to replicate his success last playoffs (which was largely due to outstanding goaltending performances IMO)
Then this would probably be his last year here, I just hope they don’t promote Cull like some poster here predicted.
Get a established NHL coach,
I’ll bet most coaches would love to get their hands on this roster.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If TG is unable to replicate his success last playoffs (which was largely due to outstanding goaltending performances IMO)
Then this would probably be his last year here, I just hope they don’t promote Cull like some poster here predicted.
Get a established NHL coach,
I’ll bet most coaches would love to get their hands on this roster.
If the team takes a step back it’s clearly because they could add to what they had and that’s all due to their bad contracts, of which $12 million remains in Loui, Beagle, And Roussell.

up to Aquaman if he wants to fire Benning for that.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Seeing Motte on the top line and PP is the embodiment of nearly everything that's wrong with Green as a coach.

It's a joke. 17 mins and PP time lol he's not a 2nd liner for F sakes.

Perfect example of a coach having the blinders on. They pick their favorites and run with them regardless of logic.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It's a joke. 17 mins and PP time lol he's not a 2nd liner for F sakes.

Perfect example of a coach having the blinders on. They pick their favorites and run with them regardless of logic.
Is Green falling into the “Willie D” group of worst Canuck’s coaches? What’s the Lover of Motte’s record compared to the Lover of Megna?
Green is at .496
Willie was .498

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Is Green falling into the “Willie D” group of worst Canuck’s coaches? What’s the Lover of Motte’s record compared to the Lover of Megna?
Green is at .496
Willie was .498

It's tough for me to say that anyone is worse than Willie - the guy who trotted out Sbisa and the Sbisa-Bieksa pairing no matter how often we got torched for it.

But if Green doesn't put up soon, he'll be in that category. I don't know if the team has ever performed above expectations under Green, only when completely carried by goaltending. And it's also hard to say how much he's had to do with young player progression as the only young players that have performed under Green are top picks/talents that were probably going to perform regardless.

I will say that Willie had more to work with in terms of veteran talent that knew how to show up everyday in the Sedins, a younger Edler and a younger Tanev. Guys like EP and Boeser are extremely talented but we're seeing just how difficult it is for top players to bring it every game like the Sedins did in their primes.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Green's system needs to be overhauled, and I'm not sure if he is willing to do that. This team plays too far apart at times and tries too many stretch passes and dumps. Also they need a default system they can fall back on so the bottom half of the lineup is more effective, and one that doesn't tire the team out. I said this last year as well when we were slumping offensively.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I agree. It appears to me that Green's system ignores possession as a way to defend. The eye test suggests they have low time of possession time in the offensive zone and it is hard to defend when most of the defending is just chasing the puck in order to then give up possession again. Contrast with AV's system and probably Jon Cooper's system and you see how possession based systems play impacts defending.

Green's Player deployment is also baffling; 2 goals down, play the dead pick era (DPE) line: Sutter and Beagle and Motte. Nothing good is going to come from that.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Contrast with AV's system and probably Jon Cooper's system and you see how possession based systems play impacts defending.

You just have to look at the talent and skill in PHI and TB's bottom-6 and puck moving ability of their D cores compared to ours to see why we might have a difficult time executing on a possession based system...

Reactions: vanuck

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The optics of playing the Flames 8 times and losing to Markstrom and Tanev has got to hurt. At some point they have to fire Benning for his gross incompetence. Don't they? I really don't care about the coach either way.
If the team continues to play do poorly then both Benning and Green should be gone. The sooner the better, because this season will get away on us real fast.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The optics of playing the Flames 8 times and losing to Markstrom and Tanev has got to hurt. At some point they have to fire Benning for his gross incompetence. Don't they? I really don't care about the coach either way.

Rightly or wrongly, I think Benning has earned himself a lot of leeway with the emergence of EP and Hughes, along with some of the other young players.

I think the casual fanbase (which is the majority) sees improvement, excitement, light at the end of the tunnel which probably means ownership is going to let Benning stay on board to see how things play out.

Ownership has been patient with Benning through a very dark period and a lot of questionable moves. I think the team really has to crap the bed for Benning to get the axe. I don't think just missing the playoffs will do it, it will probably take a tire fire.

Next season (when the world is back to normal, hopefully) will likely be make or break.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Seeing Beagle and co jump over the boards after an icing from Calgary where they were DEAD TIRED really defeats the purpose of the icing rule and how teams are suppose to take advantage of it.

even the announcers questioned it saying “is Vancouver interested in getting back into this game”

In today’s NHL constantly favoring your bottom 6 is not the hill you want to die on as a coach. Especially considering this teams bottom 6.

Last edited:

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Rightly or wrongly, I think Benning has earned himself a lot of leeway with the emergence of EP and Hughes, along with some of the other young players.

I think the casual fanbase (which is the majority) sees improvement, excitement, light at the end of the tunnel which probably means ownership is going to let Benning stay on board to see how things play out.

Ownership has been patient with Benning through a very dark period and a lot of questionable moves. I think the team really has to crap the bed for Benning to get the axe. I don't think just missing the playoffs will do it, it will probably take a tire fire.

Next season (when the world is back to normal, hopefully) will likely be make or break.
How many times do you have to miss the playoffs before you are fired as a GM? There always seems to be a crowd that continues to say "let Benning stay on board to see how things play out". We have seen and are seeing how things play out already....there should not be the reward of another year, if this one does not work out. He has had PLENTY of time to put his mark on the team....unfortunately, it has been a big "X"!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->