Speculation: Does Green last the season?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Green goes first, considering the period of the season we're in. Benning will fired toward the end of the season of immediately following it.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
H01Wl2Z.png

Oh man I loved these games!

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think we can conclude that working on systems may have been a better use of time than a dumbass-straight-out-of-the-70's-when-hockey-coaches-were-dads-who-didn't-even-play-much-hockey-if-at-all bagskate.

I think we can make that definitive conclusion.

Reactions: CherryToke

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
The Canucks are 3-9-0 against all teams except Ottawa. In most of these losses, they are not even close and are getting blown out. Add to that 9 out of 15 games where they give up more than 5 goals.

Given those stats, I don't like Travis Green's chances of making it to the end of the week.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I think we can conclude that working on systems may have been a better use of time than a dumbass-straight-out-of-the-70's-when-hockey-coaches-were-dads-who-didn't-even-play-much-hockey-if-at-all bagskate.

I think we can make that definitive conclusion.
Jesus, reading through this thread and didn't realize you'd had bumped it caught me off-guard.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know it's painful to be a Canucks fan right now.....but all this bloodletting is actually going to cleanse the organization. The owners really won't have much choice but to clean house at the end of the season, if only to keep faith from dwindling with the paying customers.

It was long overdue....it's just too bad it takes a horror show like this season to bring it about. But as they say: 'it's an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good'.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Isn’t 4 years of Tanev at 4 mil better than 5 years of Schmidt at 6 mil? We could have Tanev and Tofu right now instead of Schmidt and Jake (considering cap costs) no? And then how much more is Marky than Holtby; a Sutter buyout? Is my math way off? :huh:

You know what sucks more?

we could probably have Tanev, Toffoli, Stetcher if we just didn’t sign Meyers and Benn... and still have Schmidt.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Green goes first, considering the period of the season we're in. Benning will fired toward the end of the season of immediately following it.

how about the both of them go at the same time. no need to wait for the end of the season. they way they're playing they will be last in the entire league behind ottawa.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You know what sucks more?

we could probably have Tanev, Toffoli, Stetcher if we just didn’t sign Meyers and Benn... and still have Schmidt.
In before some Benning shill "argues" that Benning is genius because signing Meyers somehow tapped into some sort of cosmic potential allowing for Schmidt to land in our laps.

Sorta like not drafting Tkachuk gave us Pettersson.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
In before some Benning shill "argues" that Benning is genius because signing Meyers somehow tapped into some sort of cosmic potential allowing for Schmidt to land in our laps.

Sorta like not drafting Tkachuk gave us Pettersson.

But if Gillis just left Benning the same core that Stan Bowman got, we too could have multiple cups...

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Given how last season went and how fun the team was to watch with the kids lighting people up, I felt Green would last this season given the weirdness of the COVID season. Right now I think the correct course of action is to fire him immediately though. Have one of the assistants be an interim for however many days it takes to bring in Gallant or heck even Babcock or something. Really any experienced NHL coach would be better than this right now. It's not even a question of personnel its a question of systems and effort. People are just giving up in games and that cant continue to happen. At least in the bad non playoff years the team was TRYING. They would lose regularly but not get blown out every single night. This is disgraceful right now.

Mister Wolf

Jan 25, 2021
The problem with this organization obviously goes much higher than Green. But in many ways he does epitomize what the larger problem is, every post game presser is the same old nonchalant drivel filled with empty platitudes about how “we need to be better” and “that’s a good team on the other side” etc. Fans here aren’t stupid, and the apparent acceptance of getting drilled every night turns people off. Again not the main problem but it does bug me and others quite a bit.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Jesus, reading through this thread and didn't realize you'd had bumped it caught me off-guard.
Yeah, that's the thing about forums - idiot pundits and those who repeat them have no where to hide even when most . . . people . . . have short memories.

Canucks are in the best position to end Canada's Cup drought.

Canucks fans owe Jim Benning an apology.

Canucks have the 3rd - whoops! - 6th best prospect pool.

People who are calling for Green to be fired, give your heads a shake.

Green a favorite for top coach

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Before this season got underway, a lot of media types and some of the talking heads on radio, were railing away about Travis Green heading into the last year of his contract with no new deal on the horizon. But lately, a lot of them have fallen silent, maybe hoping the public will forget.

In fact, the Green situation is one of the few things the Canucks brain-trust actually got right this off-season. I think they knew this team had to improve dramatically on the defensive side of the puck, and were determined to wait and see if the coach could make that happen. But so far, early returns are they're even worse.

Imagine the egg on their face if they'd bowed to public pressure and re-upped Green, and then watched this team stumble out of the gate with team defense in a shambles.

I see a 'Willie Desjardins' situation unfolding for Green and the Canucks. He'll coach 'til the end of the season....his contract will expire and the Canucks will move on.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Given how last season went and how fun the team was to watch with the kids lighting people up, I felt Green would last this season given the weirdness of the COVID season. Right now I think the correct course of action is to fire him immediately though. Have one of the assistants be an interim for however many days it takes to bring in Gallant or heck even Babcock or something. Really any experienced NHL coach would be better than this right now. It's not even a question of personnel its a question of systems and effort. People are just giving up in games and that cant continue to happen. At least in the bad non playoff years the team was TRYING. They would lose regularly but not get blown out every single night. This is disgraceful right now.
Bringing in coaches like Gallant and Babcock require vast sums of money..Wasnt Babcocks last contract $50M total over 8 years..?..Gallant isnt going to be cheap either.

I don't see the ownership biting on any high profile coaches during a pandemic shortened season.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
No to Babcock.

Period.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Bro Im old enough to remember when he was the best coach ever. Canadas coach etc.

Well, yeah, he had incredible talent to work with.

But we had incredible talent in '98 and sort of '06. Getting that talent to mesh? click? buy in? He did that, as much as his coaching methods in the NHL are . . . . well, calling it garbage would be insulting to Oscar the Grouch, despite whatever results it might achieve.

Otoh, he benefited from the idiots at Hockey Canada finally realizing after '06 that the way to build a winner is to select the most talent, and assign some of that talent to defensive roles, rather than picking less talented size/grit/truculunce for those roles. Hopefully that institutional memory lasts for future Olympics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad