Speculation: Does Green last the season?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It may not be a popular opinion, but I'd take Babcock as well. I understand there were some things that happened in Toronto that were not favorable, but his track record as an experienced coach is still there. I would imagine that if he got another shot, he would learn from his past mistakes and improve. The guy knows what it takes to win, I personally think he'd be an upgrade.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Gallant or Boudreau please!

If you were Gerard Gallant what would it take to sign you to coach the Canucks?

Gallant is an established, high profile coach who has had success. He'd be coming to a team that is horribly put together. The team is awful and the management track record doesn't give any reason to think there is much chance to hope the team will be able to play at a high level in the near future, much as the current management, owner and many blindly faithful fans may think otherwise.

The only way to entice a high profile, well thought of coach is to bring him into a good situation (which the Canucks don't have) or to overpay by a lot. In the current pandemic economy where the investment worth many hundreds of million dollars is going to bleed money in losses, it is hard to imagine the owners springing to overpay a high profile coach.

When teams play as badly as the Canucks have been this season, the standard reaction is to change coaches. Whatever anyone things of Green as a coach, the way the team has played this season he's almost certainly gone and the timing depends largely on who the Canucks can get to replace him and how much they'd need to spend.

When a team is really bad and management isn't respected throughout the league, a team either overpays by a lot (not likely right now) or hires someone whose star has fallen that might be resuscitated or someone who isn't established already as a high profile NHL head coach.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Gallant is an established, high profile coach who has had success. He'd be coming to a team that is horribly put together. The team is awful and the management track record doesn't give any reason to think there is much chance to hope the team will be able to play at a high level in the near future, much as the current management, owner and many blindly faithful fans may think otherwise.

The only way to entice a high profile, well thought of coach is to bring him into a good situation (which the Canucks don't have) or to overpay by a lot. In the current pandemic economy where the investment worth many hundreds of million dollars is going to bleed money in losses, it is hard to imagine the owners springing to overpay a high profile coach.

When teams play as badly as the Canucks have been this season, the standard reaction is to change coaches. Whatever anyone things of Green as a coach, the way the team has played this season he's almost certainly gone and the timing depends largely on who the Canucks can get to replace him and how much they'd need to spend.

When a team is really bad and management isn't respected throughout the league, a team either overpays by a lot (not likely right now) or hires someone whose star has fallen that might be resuscitated or someone who isn't established already as a high profile NHL head coach.
This is hilarious..spoken by a poster that obviously thinks the sky is falling...Despite the cap hell the GM has put the team in, there's plenty to to like about its future...There's more flexibility after this season, moving forward.

I think any coach (Gallant included) would like to take a crack at coaching the Canucks...

As much of a tire fire this season has been..I dont think any coach would turn down an opportunity to coach some of the best young players in the NHL.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This is hilarious..spoken by a poster that obviously thinks the sky is falling...Despite the cap hell the GM has put the team in, there's plenty to to like about its future...There's more flexibility after this season, moving forward.

I think any coach (Gallant included) would like to take a crack at coaching the Canucks...
The Two dmen with contracts next year are Myers and Schmidt. Both 30+ by next season.

Demko $1.05m, Hughes $850k, and Pettersson $925k are going to go from costing $3-5m combined to at least 3 times that. That seems less flexible to me. I guess the 2018 contracts will only have 1 year left, like Loui, but there isn't much.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s time for a serious hard ass coach. Bring on Bab’s the Beast. And “there will be pain”. :wedgie:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I agree. The biggest concern is probably the GM's job security. I would hesitate taking a job knowing that the guy who hired me may be gone in a matter of months and replaced with someone who didn't hire me. That happened to Gallant in Florida and technically in Vegas as well.

I actually think Gallant might be interested in the Canucks job. He's a bit of an old school coach who should get along with Benning and Weisbrod. There's some skill up front and his trusty assistant Mike Kelly is familiar with Vancouver.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I agree. The biggest concern is probably the GM's job security. I would hesitate taking a job knowing that the guy who hired me may be gone in a matter of months and replaced with someone who didn't hire me. That happened to Gallant in Florida and technically in Vegas as well.

I actually think Gallant might be interested in the Canucks job. He's a bit of an old school coach who should get along with Benning and Weisbrod. There's some skill up front and his trusty assistant Mike Kelly is familiar with Vancouver.
Precisely..they're not going to hire a coach right now if the GM's job is in question.

Again, good coaches come with a significant price tag, I dont think anything happens till the end of the season.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I would think a coach would be excited to get involved with Vancouver, I don't think it would be the sell job you think it would be.

We have a lot of young talent on this team right now, and we have more coming up through the pipe line. All of these bad contracts that we have will be gone in the next 2 years, we do have flexibility to forge this team in whatever direction is deemed best.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I would think a coach would be excited to get involved with Vancouver, I don't think it would be the sell job you think it would be.

We have a lot of young talent on this team right now, and we have more coming up through the pipe line. All of these bad contracts that we have will be gone in the next 2 years, we do have flexibility to forge this team in whatever direction is deemed best.
Which teams don’t have young talent and more coming up through the pipeline?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Which teams don’t have young talent and more coming up through the pipeline?

I'm not intimately aware of every teams current prospect pool, but the Canucks have been in the top 5 or so for the years leading up to Pettersson and Hughes graduation to the NHL. Given that, and coupled with some of the other young roster players who have impressed, I'd say were in a better situation in that regard than most.

Look at the state of the Canucks in 2015/2016, now THAT is a team a coach would not want to inherit...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Precisely..they're not going to hire a coach right now if the GM's job is in question.

Again, good coaches come with a significant price tag, I dont think anything happens till the end of the season.
Isn’t Green one of the least paid coaches? What does that make him?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
WAS, a team that contended for the Cup for the past half decade, finally getting past teams like PIT . . . and the Canucks.

Huh.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016

But yet he was with a winning team and got fired! He obviously has some faults as well.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Sullivan is another coach to keep an eye on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens let him go after the season. Like other coaches (think Laviolette), he's run his course after a tremendous turnaround.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sullivan is another coach to keep an eye on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens let him go after the season. Like other coaches (think Laviolette), he's run his course after a tremendous turnaround.

I'm out of the loop but I thought Sully was doing a good job with the Pens, what's the deal?

Last edited by a moderator:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm out of the loop but I thought Sully was doing a good job with the Pens, what's the deal?

A slow start to the season after early - and worrisome - exits to the Isles and Habs. Even before all of the injuries, they weren't playing up to the level they used to under him. Also, the incoming GM won't have any attachment to him.

Again, he'll implement structure and get effort, but the players will check out after a few seasons.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
But just about every yardstick you can use, the Canucks have been nothing short atrocious defensively this season. And it isn't just goals against. It's also adjusted Corsi numbers; the number of high quality shots allowed; and the number of shots allowed from directly in the slot; not to mention all turnovers and odd-man rushes.

Yet the coach maintains the schedule is to blame. This is a big part the problem as I see it. The coach seems to be in a state of denial about just how bad his team is defensively. And this goes back to previous seasons.

Even last year, Canuck watchers could see how many quality chances they gave up and how many 10-bell saves Markstrom was forced to make night after night, just to allow them to stay in games.

I'm becoming convinced that will take a whole training camp and half the regular season for a new coach to drill a defensive system into this group, that will at least cut into this team's awful defensive posture. And obviously that won't happen this season.

Reactions: CherryToke

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But just about every yardstick you can use, the Canucks have been nothing short atrocious defensively this season. And it isn't just goals against. It's also adjusted Corsi numbers; the number of high quality shots allowed; and the number of shots allowed from directly in the slot; not to mention all turnovers and odd-man rushes.

Yet the coach maintains the schedule is to blame. This is a big part the problem as I see it. The coach seems to be in a state of denial about just how bad his team is defensively. And this goes back to previous seasons.

Even last year, Canuck watchers could see how many quality chances they gave up and how many 10-bell saves Markstrom was forced to make night after night, just to allow them to stay in games.

I'm becoming convinced that will take a whole training camp and half the regular season for a new coach to drill a defensive system into this group, that will at least cut into this team's awful defensive posture. And obviously that won't happen this season.

He explains that the schedule played a part..9 games in 14 nights is brutal....but he's not relying on that 'as' the excuse.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
GMJB authority to resign TG was revoked by FA. If JB gets fired at years end (won’t be mid year) the new GM hires his own coach. Team wants to wait till off-season as there more candidates to choose to from.

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad