Speculation: Does Green last the season?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
GMJB authority to resign TG was revoked by FA. If JB gets fired at years end (won’t be mid year) the new GM hires his own coach. Team wants to wait till off-season as there more candidates to choose to from.

say if van gets LIT up during this calgary set. should they have john weisbroid as interim gm for the time being... or wait till the end of the season to fire everyone

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
May as well keep him around through this season. It feels like a meaningless season anyway.

Can him once his over, though, and the rest of the staff.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
say if van gets LIT up during this calgary set. should they have john weisbroid as interim gm for the time being... or wait till the end of the season to fire everyone

They may indeed fire JB and have an interim GM but will 100% not hire a full time GM. 25% of the season is over. Trade deadline is in 60 days. New GM would have to quarantine for 2 weeks. And frankly there will be better / more options at seasons end.

Reactions: David71

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
May as well keep him around through this season. It feels like a meaningless season anyway.

Can him once his over, though, and the rest of the staff.

I would imagine a good GM woudknt wanna even take over this mess. Imagine walking in to a meddling owner , media scrutiny , worst travel KMs in the NHL, still paying for a retired player currently working front office for another team, having 0 or maybe 1 , prospect that will ever see the NHL, having to resign 2 massive contracts in EP / QH, having the worst defense in the league, having 15m tied up in Loui, Baetschi, Ferlund etc you can’t use next year ....

why would someone wanna take that on?

December5th

Feb 5, 2021
victoria
I would imagine a good GM woudknt wanna even take over this mess. Imagine walking in to a meddling owner , media scrutiny , worst travel KMs in the NHL, still paying for a retired player currently working front office for another team, having 0 or maybe 1 , prospect that will ever see the NHL, having to resign 2 massive contracts in EP / QH, having the worst defense in the league, having 15m tied up in Loui, Baetschi, Ferlund etc you can’t use next year ....

a challenge and theres only so many GM spots in the nhl

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It may not be a popular opinion, but I'd take Babcock as well. I understand there were some things that happened in Toronto that were not favorable, but his track record as an experienced coach is still there. I would imagine that if he got another shot, he would learn from his past mistakes and improve. The guy knows what it takes to win, I personally think he'd be an upgrade.

Babcock’s coaching record speaks for itself. There is no doubt about it. But as fans do we want to support a bully? Did you read Lebrun’s interview with Babcock? He responded to Franzen’s accusation of bullying and verbal assault (which Chelios confirms) with not an apology or explanation but, “Can you imagine having someone say that about you when you have been involved in mental health as much as I have?”

Franzen of course isn’t the only player who has accused Babcock of being abusive. Commodore was outspoken about his experience with Babcock a long time ago. Even Shawn Matthias piled on and said the players couldn’t get away from him and he’s not a coach who listens or is open minded.

Remember how Luongo’s benching for the heritage game was his law straw? Well Modano got scratched instead of playing his 1500 games in the NHL. Spezza was scratched for the home opener after buying like 150 tickets for family and friends. Players talk and these things don’t sit well with players.

There are some coaches that need players to fear him to be successful. A player friendly version of Babcock is going to work as well as a mellow Mike Keenan.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What a piece of garbage this is ..(the fact that there is no author should give you some hint ?)...A bunch of cherrypicked quotes out of context..with an agenda ..Taj on Twitter is smiling.

Quinn Hughes complete un-cherrypicked statement:..Its not a 'whopper'.!

“We have a competitive group. Guys want to win. No one likes losing, including myself. It sucks. We have a lot of new pieces. We lost some pretty good players last year, and we're just trying to figure it all together. And I think that we're going to get there. Tonight, we were pretty close to that. We're right there. I'm worried we lost five in a row but I'm not worried because I'm confident in the group we have. In the long run, we're going to be alright.”..QH​

Last edited:

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland

This is nonsense and needlessly negative. Many prospective GMs would jump at the chance to build around this young core. They're in a tight spot just now but the job of the GM is to consider the future, not just the cap issues that largely come off the books in less than a couple of years from now.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Well generally speaking GM's don't just leave good situations unless retiring or moving up or onward. If you want a GM job this is when they become available. Also the Canucks have plenty of pieces that one would consider a solid core. Pettersson, Horvat, Miller and Hughes is a pretty good start. Now add an owner that wants to win and is willing to spend and you get to live in one of the best rated cities around. Seriously who wouldn't want the job?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Well generally speaking GM's don't just leave good situations unless retiring or moving up or onward. If you want a GM job this is when they become available. Also the Canucks have plenty of pieces that one would consider a solid core. Pettersson, Horvat, Miller and Hughes is a pretty good start. Now add an owner that wants to win and is willing to spend and you get to live in one of the best rated cities around. Seriously who wouldn't want the job?

Miller has maybe 4-5 years left max
Horvat is 6 years in now... maybe half way done his career. By the time this gets sorted , these guys are gone.

who are the prospects the new GM will have to work with? Literally nobody lol.

Reactions: Luckylarry

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Fire everyone at the end of the season but bring in a President ASAP(Mike Gillis?) to ensure no other foolish moves are made before then.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
What a piece of garbage this is ..(the fact that there is no author should give you some hint ?)...A bunch of cherrypicked quotes out of context..with an agenda ..Taj on Twitter is smiling.

Quinn Hughes complete un-cherrypicked statement:..Its not a 'whopper'.!

“We have a competitive group. Guys want to win. No one likes losing, including myself. It sucks. We have a lot of new pieces. We lost some pretty good players last year, and we're just trying to figure it all together. And I think that we're going to get there. Tonight, we were pretty close to that. We're right there. I'm worried we lost five in a row but I'm not worried because I'm confident in the group we have. In the long run, we're going to be alright.”..QH​

I agree that the player's aren't orchestrating a revolt, but when Elliot Friedman thinks something is going on behind the scenes (I'm thinking more on the lines of organizational disfunction) I do side with him, he's a legit industry insider.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Horvat is 6 years in now... maybe half way done his career. By the time this gets sorted , these guys are gone.

Agreed. A new GM, if Aquilini will keep his nose out of hockey opps, will trade Miller and Bo so there will be younger assets to mesh with Petey and Hughes in the coming years of their primes. Aquilini won’t allow that type of rebuilding to happen though. He wants a hand puppet, like Benning/Brod.

Reactions: David71

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I agree that the player's aren't orchestrating a revolt, but when Elliot Friedman thinks something is going on behind the scenes (I'm thinking more on the lines of organizational disfunction) I do side with him, he's a legit industry insider.
I completely agree..Friedman is usually spot on, but I'm disappointed he went for the low hanging fruit here.

Reactions: DS7

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Hey we got a job opening here in the NHL with a team stacked with prospects we just fired the GM cause he sucks. Does that sound silly to you? Does to me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm beginning to think that it's a lot more players than J.T. Miller who are seriously pissed with management. This off-season was like a gut punch after they played so well in the playoff bubble.

Maybe there are other reasons besides coaching and systems play as to why this team has been so bad this season. But if players are firing bullets at Benning, they're aiming at the wrong target. The owner will wear this season like a burning tire....but I don't get the sense he cares all that much.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Agreed. A new GM, if Aquilini will keep his nose out of hockey opps, will trade Miller and Bo so there will be younger assets to mesh with Petey and Hughes in the coming years of their primes. Aquilini won’t allow that type of rebuilding to happen though. He wants a hand puppet, like Benning/Brod.

then he can go f*** himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad